Psi roots superchargers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITROBANDIT1, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Ok, sorry I missed that so let me go to real world data. I have one car that has a PSI Roots on it and it works great if the OD is very high above 35% and higher OD is even better but just does not put out very well if the OD is down below 35%. Will not do anything at 14.5% or 20%. I have another car I tune that runs an M5 at 20% and it really puts out a lot more than what the PSI is capable of at 20%. The car that I do the fuel system on now has a Mike Janis blower on it that we run at 14.5% and it will out do an M5. The M5 and the Mike Janis blower all spawn from the Superman and these blowers are designed to put out at ODs of less than 30% and are really critical on top openings. If you crank the rotor speed up on these blower the boost drops off real fast and if you have the wrong size opening on these type blowers the boost goes away real fast. So it is really hard comparing apples against apples with a PSI Roots against an M5. They have two different OD design requirements. The car that had the PSI Roots on it has since switched to a Littlefield LB20 and that was a BIG increase in performance but got to get a few more runs on it to see how big. I am with Stan that I would like to see all the data and how the tests were conducted. I did catch where you said the rotor speed was at 7000 rpm. That is interesting on the fact that at a launch engine RPM of 6000 with a 14.5% OD the blower rotors are at 6870 rpm so they are very briefly going to see 7000 rpm then they are at RPMs above that. At 20% OD and the engine rpm at 6000 the rotors are at 7200 rpm. So one has to ask how the CFM of the two blowers is above 7000 RPM and how is the air temps and CFM when you get the rotor rpm up to around 11000 to 12000 rpm max where they would be for a 14.5-20% OD blower at max engine rpm. There is no doubt that a PSI blower at 35-50% OD can out perform a Superman type blower at 14.5-20% OD. Don't think anyone would disagree on that.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

If you are not OD restricted by your class and dont mind carrying an extra 7 lbs around a PSI is hard to beat for the money. My blower had a ton of runs on it and it made almost the same boost after Fowler freshened it as it did after running it for three years. I ran a fresh PSI and a fresh M4 on a top fuel blower dyno and the PSI was measureably better than the M4 with both blowers run at thier best setup and OD. I only switched to a new SSI with a mag case to save weight....15 lbs... over my PSI. But it was also tested on the blower dyno and was better than the PSI and the M4. Now know that Blown375 and I are not OD restricted and can spin them as fast as we want to. I have no doubt that at 14 to 20 over a Janis, Hammer,Billes or M5 blower would be better. Now an 18/71 M5....oh my! I would love to try on of those monsters...king of the roots blowers, no doub't.

3. h2b puller

h2b puller Member

About blower dyno"s you can compare blowers only if a blower dyno has a tourque sensor on the blower shaft.
    It"s not only how much air (cfm) it pumps but also how much tourque (HP) it takes to turn the blower.
    you can even have a blower that gives a lot of boost but it could be so tight that it lost all the advantages at the crank to turn it,and also make a lot of heat that will kill the HP.
    You need to find the right combination in boost, air intake temp. and the tourque on the blower.