Psi roots superchargers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITROBANDIT1, Nov 9, 2012.

1. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

anybody out there have a explanation in the difference inbetween the hi helix psi superchargers they make? their website is so poor, there is little or no explanation or pictures of what they sell. anybody with any info on this? thanks,dan

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Well they have 871 through 1471...maybe even 16 and 1871's. They have a billet case available as well. For the money and performance, your best bet would be with Darren Mayer at DMPE utilizing an M4 or M5. With the PSI you still have to "mod" it to attain optimum performance. We ran a PSI roots for a while, very nice blower (before M series was available) but we spent several more thousand with ERD on mods, spacers, shoes, and batwings etc. There seems to be a back and forth on whether PSI is open for business; I don't have any facts but rumors do swirl....def. something to consider when buying something exepensive like this.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree with Brandon. The PSI Roots is designed for high overdrive up above 45%. Haven't seen one work very well below that. Again I agree with the M4 or M5 or even the new Littlefield LB20. If it is super high performance at 14.5% or 20% and you want to be fast and you have the $$$$ then go with a Mike Janis blower. We have one on Adam Flamholc's PM and it really does perform. In legal PM at ADRL we could run 3.88 in the eighth mile at 195 mph. So it all depends on what you are going to run and how competive you want to be and how good are the guys you are running against and how much money you have . The blower plays a real big part in your performance.

4. TOL

TOL Active Member

Really??? That's not good. Wonder what would happen then for spare parts & re-certs?.....

5. NITROBANDIT1

Pump it up

well, i do have a high helix psi already with all the shoes and erd stuff. i see they have another setback style hi helix, but the website is so poor,no way to see what it is. i did hear yesterday that aj just bought psi. im sure he wont go cheap on quality or anything, i have heard they have been in a bad way for awhile. guess i better buy a few for spare parts! i have heard that the m5 is very sensitive to backfires, and the cases are so weak that if it gets banged once the case is no good. i guess thats separating the donkeys from the pure breads! im not cutting hairs yet with this combo, and am not ready to spend another 10k on top of it to step up.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That problem with the M5 cases not being tolerant to backfires was in the early version and it has now been modified to prevent it from cracking.

7. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

That's not true on the m5. The cast case is sensitive but where it cracks at doesn't affect a single thing. I've had mine back to Darren twice and he says if you have the money to spend for a cosmetic repair then do it. But don't worry about it . The billet case fixes this and will never be a problem. The m5 is awesome for the money and gives good power with realibilty. Don't let a crack stop you from buying a great supercharger.

8. TOL

TOL Active Member

Good for him. Hope this improves their business practices.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Aj

I am fairly certain that AJPE did not buy PSI. It sounds like it is in pretty good hands.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I understood that Cantrell Racing was looking at buying PSI since they are out in Arizona anyhow and work on screw blowers.

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Psi

I am not at liberty to give the name, but it's a very well funded racer....that currently does not use a blower....

12. DQUES

DQUES Member

I also heard it was bought by a A/FD guy who may be stepping up to run T/F next year .

13. NITROBANDIT1

Turnpike city

can we please just answer the question? geeeeeeeeeeez

14. DQUES

DQUES Member

Go to the PSI web site and click on "contact us" , there is your answer . Make the call and talk to the people who manufacture it .

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  15. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Roger, Andy, Chelsea;)

16. blown375

blown375 New Member

I run a highhelix 14/71 PSI and I love it.
    I had mine put on a blower dyno and my data was laid over a run from a brand new M5
    And my PSI (with 45 1/8 mile passes) made more wind after around 7000 rotor speed than the brand new M5!
    So you can believe what you want but all I will say is DMPE does advertise well !

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry but you can't compare blowers like that. The only way you can compare them is to use the same motor and swap the blowers for the dyno runs. I am not saying that your motor or PSI is bad I just want to explain the ton of variables other than the percent of overdrive. Different heads, different cams make a big difference to the amount of boost seen in the intake manifold. The amount of boost measured in the intake manifold is actually the amount of boost not being used. If you decrease the air flow through the motor by some means then the boost will increase. If that motor with the M5 had lower boost than yours it maybe that it had better flowing heads on it than yours. The better the airflow through the heads the lower the boost numbers are. Size of valves also make a difference large valves will produce lower boost than small valves. If you swap from Brad 5 heads to the new Brad 8 heads the recorded boost actually drops but you have to add more fuel because there is more air flowing into the motor. If the engine displacement is different then the boost will be different. A large displacement motor will have lower boost numbers than a smaller displacement motor. The other thing you have to be careful of in dyno tests is if the density altitude is different between the two runs then the amount of boost will be different.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  18. blown375

blown375 New Member

Mike , read my post again . I said "blower dyno" ... And that's an apples to apples comparison of air volume , pressure , load and temperature .
    I was told that in every brand you find good and bad blowers.
    The fact is that different rotor designs are stronger and weaker at different speeds and their is more that one way to skin a cat !

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

It would be interesting to see the outlet temps between those two blowers and the parasitic loss comparison, because that has a lot to do with the HP

20. aj481x

aj481x Member

Blown375 Where did you test? and do you have any data to share.