chevy block

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by drn1013rd, Aug 7, 2007.

1. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

i am running a 540 ci with dart big m block with raptor heads 14 hh blower
    dart said the block would hold up, but after 8 passes on new stuff the heads studs are trying to pull out of the block and cracking between cyl. walls.
    the car ran 3.90's and still had plenty left but after we tore it down to check
    parts this is what we found.
    what is my best solution? and/or will a kb or cn block do the same if i upgrade to a billet or cast aluminum block.
    thanks for any help

2. DQUES

DQUES Member

The CN block is probably the strongest , next on the food chain would be a new century or KB . All 3 of these will take the abuse and solve your problem , also available as a solid block . They are also available with 1/2" head studs .

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  3. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

does this happen to most steel blocks or just my luck, we run a six shooter with all leahy timing, thought we were being fairly easy on everything.
    left with 26 deg timing

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

What are you overdriving the blower at/or how much boost is going through the motor?

Brandon

5. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

36 Pnds Boost

6. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

way to much blower for a steel block. mabey if you had an old straight rotor blower at around 20 - 30 % overdrive, sorry for your loss, mabey someone could use a good boat anchor.

7. Blownjet13

Blownjet13 New Member

We run Dart Blocks With Dart Solid Heads PSI hh Blower 38 lbs. Boost no Problems. Did you miss your tune up, and lean it out? Did you tighten your studs to tight in the block and put stress on the deck before bolting your heads on. just afew things to check.
    Good luck Jay

8. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

We've Hit A Bowtie W 40 Lbs,but With Conventional Chevy Heads.
    Never Cracked A Cylinder Or Lifted A Head....detonation Maybe?

9. teenracer

teenracer Jr. Dragster

We run a Oddys built blown 468cuin BBC down here in Western Australia and use a Dart Big M iron block because of our class restrictions, our 2250lb altered runs 6.06@225mph, 14' Big Chief heads 16-71 HH @ 45psi, it is the only block that has lasted the distance , we have tried Bowtie, World and then the Dart, the Dart is the only one that has not cracked between the bore and the lower head stud holes.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Marc

10. Danny Humphreys

Detonation

You've got some detonation issues. I ran a Dart block 4.437 bore @ 45 lbs of boost w/ a whipple and had zero issues. Even if you get a "better" aluminum block, the trouble will show up elsewhere. ie: rods exiting the block, cracked walls under the sleeves. done all that with a KB olds block, you need to get the tuneup right no matter what you do, or you're gonna keep having problems. Jim Oddy told me ran a Dart block for a while when he was running the nitro coupe super chevy deal, and had no probs but weight.

11. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

where do you suggest starting with the detonation problem, send the mag and coil off to be checked (44 and coil new), we checked the timimg and cam degree at least 10 times, bottom end looks great nothing getting hot, what we did runs we did make we ran fat?
    thanks for any help

12. planbmotorsports

Issue

Possibly your being conservative is your problem. Could be a hydraulic issue from being to fat?????

13. mikentracy718fc

mikentracy718fc New Member

I have a dart big M block that gets 42 lbs of boost and never have hurt the cylinders. We run Top Eliminator West with it. have made over 100 6.40 passes on the block. Like danny said detonation . It sounds like its on the extreme ritch side. Oddy told me to lock the timing down at 34 and dont move it. 26 deg is not enough unless you have a psi that will make the boost and a big fuel pump. Call Jim Oddy and he will varify that we run like we do with a steel block and dart 330 heads. Beleve me if I had the money we would have a centry or KB block. Cant help you to much unless we have all the information about your engine combo. What works for me may not for you but you realy need to give someone a tun more info than what you have. Then some of us hear can help out.
    My 02 cents
    Mike

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  14. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

Think We Found The Problem Which Would Difinitley Make It A Detonation Problem, The Rotor Button On The Mag Only Had A Brass Flange On One Side The Other Had Never Been Put On At Msd,which Caused It It To Mix Up The Cylinders.
    A Ten Dollar Part Has Cost Me The Rest Of The Season. I Guess Msd Would Just Laugh.

15. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

MSD/Block problems

There is a guy That does dam good MSD work, I send my 44amp mag system to him at the end of every year and never a problem, His name is Bob at BR mortsports at 800 328 3333. you should give him a call and see what he has to say.
    We also Run In Top Eliminator West, a 6.30 index out law class and us a New Centrey block / PSI set up and 50 plus lbs boast when we run flat out. If you are looking for the block that can hold up give Lowell a call 618 466 6983 at New centrey also a dam good guy.
    Good luck
    Butch