Mid 2000s 14-71 blower comparo

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bjs344, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Broke my 07 littlefield hhr. Trying to replace it with something as good or slightly better. Does a k8 superman or an ssi d rotor fit the bill?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Depends on the class and association you are racing with and the overdrive you are allowed. The Kobelco Superman is designed for the lower OD racing and is pretty well limited to less than 35% OD if you are taking the motor up to 9500-10,000 rpm. Some of these Superman blowers really roll off fast when run at 27 % OD and the motor at 10,000 rpm. If you have no restriction to OD then I would consider the Littlefied LB 20 high helix or the newer LB21 high helix blowers. The blower is lightweight and really performs well. If you really want the Superman the I would search for ones that have the K11 rotors. Some of the ones with the K8 rotors have the rotors come apart and tear up the case.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. Creech

Creech Member

Id say that before todays blower mods SSI was the best roots blower around. I worked on a dragster in the early 90's. In 94' 95' we had a early PSI screw on a "big chief" bbc and ran 6.26 226 which was the best run for an alcohol dragster here in Alaska at the time. Richie, with a hh littlefield on a hemi next time out went a 6.22, we sent out the spacer in the psi rev limiter on the mallory mag because it was touching the 9800 rev limit and went 6.20 228, he went .20, He put a SSI on there and went 6.18 we ground down the limiter because it was touching 10200 and went .18. he turned around and went 6.09. We stopped at 10400 rpm .

Ive also work on a car with a SSI , a really good supercharger.

Marty

4. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Thanks mike. Just fast brackets. 8500 and 33% with the old blower. I'll need more eventually, but not a lot. The LF was probably capable of anything I would have ever needed to do. It was a small top; I see quite a few with the large opening but assume they won't be as good?
    I haven't found any k11s right now but suspect they will be a little out of reach.

Marty, thanks for the feedback. SSI told me I would need at least a d rotor for what I'm doing. Currently leaning that way after reading a bunch of scary stuff about pre-k11 kobelco rotors.

Any other places to find a used blower besides here and RJ?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

I agree. K-11 aren't out there. Fowler took over kobelco and he build the exact same blower as they didn't 10 years ago and sells for the same price as 10 years ago. 7700$. Can't complain. His modified blower is ok but not great. Dmpe stuff is ok but after all the upgrades to get somewhere you'll pay 12-14k. Janis prolly has something in your budget and price range from bone stock to Nhra level. Hammer super chargers are good as well but if your on a budget there is better choices.

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

What is a better choice if you are on a budget?

7. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Well if you can find a used m4 or m5 without a crack those sell for around 8-10k
    A new fowler unit sells for 77 with spacer and I'm pretty sure he can set you up with the proper spacer now
    That lb20 has a lot of guys happy out west. Tractor pulling guys say the don't fall off after running em hard
    The lb-22 is nice unit
    Then You can start with going to guys like Janis , hammer, billes,
    Also try Jon at racing resolutions. He always knows guys looking to sell blower. I ran a m5 with a cracked case for 5 years and it was never a problem. So don't be scared of that crack from Darren machining the case to thin. I can say this. My bbc made 2100 hp with bone stock kobelco. Switched to m5 was only change and made 2375@9500 on dyno. With a cracked case! Hope some of this helps.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Those cracks in the DMPE where in the early models and doesn't happen anymore. Before you buy a used M4 or M5 call DMPE and find out which version it is. There was both case changes and rotor changes and top plate changes. If you are on a budget and you want boost then I say call Andy Wilfong at Littlefield and tell him what you want to do and let him tell you what they have that will fit your needs and budget.

9. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

Here comes my .02:

You can't save anything from the old blower ?
    X 2 on Janis. An "appalachian hillbilly" told me Janis has a very good low budget mod.
    There is a superman on RJ right now. See if it's a K11. It's in Maryland and so am I. I could go look.
    Don't forget JR and Robin at RBS Superchargers. They update their website every day.
    Check with Fowler on used also. Tractor people will trade 6 at a time.
    As always great advice from the other posters. Thanks ITA...

10. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

One of the smartest guys in the business looked at the pics of mine and told me I'd better say a few nice words to it and move on, it has took its last breath. Damaged k8 rotors and a big chunk out of the case, including part of the hat sealing surface. The 9" snout is still good! Lol.

The supermans on RJ are not k11 or I would have bought one already. Appreciate the offer though.

11. noiraude

noiraude Member

hi all!
    could someone educate me on SSI blowers,as i read some posts that name them with a rotor letter,and ads on RJ name them with "F3" after the standard blower case size...quite confusing...

12. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Here is the history of the 14-71 high helix retro as I understand it. I would love for others that were around then to comment or correct.

1. SCS introduces the 120 degree (high helix) retro blower around 1987. I actually have possession of one of these at the moment. Interesting that this appears to be "superman style" in that the rotors sit pretty far back from the front bearing plate. Someone attempted to run this blower in Top Fuel and it got banned. All previous and subsequent Top Fuel Blowers are 60 degree (std. helix) and useless to anybody except for maybe NHRA Comp Eliminator. This blower makes a bunch of heat up high and will run ~6.40s on my bracket dragster.

2. Through the 90s other companies start making hhr blowers. These are all large top blowers and I assume aren't much better than the SCS above.

3. 1999 SSI builds the D rotor with a small top. Unclear to me when the rest of the companies shrunk the inlet to the blower. I think previous SSI's (b and c rotor) were available in hi-helix, but I think they were large top.

4. About 2002 Kobelco makes k8 rotors and releases the superman for overdrive restricted classes. It seems to me that any blower from this era with a small top (Littlefield K8, Kobelco K8s, Kobelco K8 Superman, SSI d-rotor) is capable of running very low 6s on my bracket car.

5. 2008 brings about the K11 rotor and obvioiusly the K11 superman, DMPE modded supermans, the DMPE m5, Littlefield LB20 (which I think is a k11 rotor in a redesigned case?), SSI F series (F2 and eventually F3, F4, and now F5) . These blowers all have the ability to lift the heads off of my bracket motor or run 5.90s if it happens to make the finish line.

No idea where PSI fits in. There are also Mooneyham, Kuhl, and some others from this era that all seem to be cast rotors. I think all of the ones on my list above are billet rotors with cast cases.

13. noiraude

noiraude Member

That is what i call Education!
    so an SSI F3 is much newer than a D rotor..
    thanks a lot!!!:D:D

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The small top high helix came out to up the velocity of the incoming air when NHRA forced the Promods to reduce their overdrive because the nitrous guys were crying. The small top blowers really helped the PMs launch.

15. promodracer

promodracer Member

Smoken joe on here may have a k11 modded