Wrap vs Paint

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 32 bantam, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

I'm stripping the paint (6 layers!) from my 32 Bantam glass body. SLOW process......
    I haven't decided yet to repaint or wrap. The body will need some repairs and glazing.
    What are the opinions on wraps? Does the body have to be in "shiney" paint or primer? Durability? Life expectancy?
    thanks,
    Steve

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

6 layers. Paint stripper bud! Yes fix the areas that need fixing then prime it . You can wrap it as long as it shiney. If its dull the wraps comes off very easily. I would paint the car in a single stage paint, lighter than base clear. Then wrap over that. Or partial wrap. Remember the better materials the wrap is made out of the nice and longer it will hold up. I've seen poor quality wraps and you can almost rub the colors off. Mine is high quality and I can spray brake cleaner on it to remove rubber , no problems. Samething with my paint I can do that as well. Guys look at me like I'm nuts. My reply spend more money on your high quality paints! I've had girl friend run over the hood with golf cart , not a single scratch! Sherwin Williams products!

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

your best bet would be to look up Jim Phillips he is a great guy that owns a body shop and has done this kind of thing!!! my self I wouldn't wanna use air craft stripper on fiberglass it will kill the gel coat..when stripping gel coat we have (always) pecan blasted it it will remove paint and not hurt the gel coat..Dave
    jim's # 812-228-7683

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

wrap

I have had very good luck with wraps from Fineline Graphics out of Denver. They do many of the Pro Stock and some of the fuel cars. They have the latest machines, vinyls, etc. Going with a cut rate or cheap wrap will turn into a nightmare! Seen it.

At the end of the day, it comes back to what you are more into. If you are looking for show quality, you can't beat paint. Vinyl can look very good these days with a gloss (most are clear coated for gloss). If you are looking for light weight, clean up the few areas that need some work and wrap it.

If you don't want a detailed or busy scheme, it may be easier and cheaper to just paint it. On an altered, you are probably talking maybe 10 lbs difference. The only benefit is you can get crazy and wild with a wrap for the same price as basic, where obviously the wilder you get with paint, the more talented the painter needs to be and cost goes up.

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Use Captain Lee's to strip the paint. I stripped 4 layers of paint off the dash and interior of my 1954 Corvette with it and it is very easy on fiberglass resins. Even on 59 year old Vettes.

6. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

Thanks for the reply's...................I'm leaning towards a combination .......paint the body and clear then wrap for the graphics that are mainly on the cowl and sides.
    I will call Fineline and get some more info.
    Steve