Won't Start When Hot

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by aort, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's exactly why you have to have a change over switch. Nothing like pulling up to start in the finals and it will not. Been there and done that.

Take a multimeter and read the resistance across the two pins going to the sensor. A good one should measure 42-44 ohms

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. aort

aort Member

Mike that was with a changeover switch installed. I started with it on the mag pickup and it started, when the switch was flipped to the crank trigger, the engine died. I made my run with it on the mag pickup. When I got home it started on the crank trigger and would switch between mag and trigger just fine while running. So it has to do with heat and I believe down to the trigger or timing box? I'll ohm mine and see what it says.

3. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Did you happen to check the air gap between the wheel and the sensor when it was hot?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Aort,I understand the way around you did it but the crank triggers fail on a too often basis and I am saying that if you are running a trigger them you should also have a change over switch. They always seem to fail when you try to start the car.

5. aort

aort Member

It's been a while, but I thought I would update. It began running progressively worse. I checked the msd crank trigger again and it was 154 ohms pin to pin. So I put the new one from Leahy on that tested around 44 ohms. I'll run tomorrow to see if that was it. The first time I tested the trigger this year it wasn't nearly that high. What would the higher ohms cause?

6. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Resistance ...:: you can damage one by slightly over tighten it.