Won't Start When Hot

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by aort, Jul 16, 2013.

1. aort

aort Member

I have a blown BAE in a pulling truck. I have ran into this issue twice now. The first time I ran not very far and they pulled my kill switch because of an issue with the sled. I took it back around to go last, which was maybe 30 minutes later. It wouldn't start. I put a spare points box on and it started right up. I sent the old one to MSD and it was the typical nothing wrong with it answer. Well on Saturday I ran it again with the spare still on, total running time was 2:20 and the actual run was 14 seconds. I was the last one to go and got into the pulloff. I fueled it and took it back around and it wouldn't start. It would turn over fine and seemed like it was spinning as fast as normal. After I got it home, it started right up without changing anything. What could be going on? My first thought was the points box, but then I thought maybe when it's warm it isn't spinning fast enough to fire on the crank trigger?

2. aort

aort Member

I've tried to start it a couple times after a run now with no luck. I hooked up a new points box the first time and it didn't help. Then I changed my kill solenoid and that wasn't it. One weird thing happened when I was trying to start it though. It hit one or two times just as I turn the mag off. I flipped it back on to see if it would start and the same happened when I shut it off again. It runs good, I always drive it off the track pull the fuel and shut it off. I think it's either down to the coil or cranking speed. Would the coil do that when hot even though I shut it off and there are no problems at the end of the run?

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

A few questions, does this have an onboard starter and if so how many volts spinning it. What is the air gap on the crank trigger? If you have an onboard starter then you need to gap it at .043-.045. Use a plastic quick tie as a gauge. What is your plug gap it should be .015". Have you tried just running it without the crank trigger and just straight off the mag? When on the crank trigger have you phased the mag rotor? Do you know how to do that. Also one little comment here in defense of MSD is that MSD was correct in saying there was nothing wrong with the points box since it did the same thing on the second box. I have watched MSD test these units. They have a bench setup with a ProMag been driven by a motor. It is just like a car. They can put the whole system under load and the monitor everything with an ocilliscope. It is just like it is on a car.

4. aort

aort Member

It is a blower mount starter on 36v. Crank trigger air gap is .050. Plug gap is .015 on 6061-10. I haven't tried just off the mag yet, that was going to be next on the list. I set the mag to 26 degrees and then set the crank trigger to match, so it should be phased in correctly.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Interesting, all sounds good. So now we are talking odd ball stuff. If it always starts off the mag then you could have weak magnets on the crank wheel. The other thing to swap is the coil, how old is the coil wire and the plug wires?

6. aort

aort Member

I got the coil used with the motor, I have an old black one for a spare. Coil wire is new this year (~15 runs). The rest of the plug wires are on their 3rd season. It starts every time to warm it up in the pits and then starts fine to run after the warm up. It's just after a full run that it won't fire.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not saying the plug wires are the problem but that is a lot of runs on a set of wires being used on a ProMag. The insulation is what breaks down and they can still read good on an ohm meter. It wouldn't hurt to change them. I think you should give it a go just using the mag and no crank trigger and see what happens. That would help to isolate the problem. If it makes a difference then you might want to invest in a crossover switch so when it doesn't fire on the trigger you can flip the switch and fire it on the mag then go back. We all use them as a "just in case" do we don't get stuck not starting.

8. aort

aort Member

It is a cranking speed issue. After I ran it wouldn't start again. I switched over to the mag and it started right up.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Normally a blower mounted starter does not have a cranking speed problem.

10. aort

aort Member

What do you think it could be then?

11. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

I agree with Mike , a blower mounted starter does not normally have a cranking speed problem but as he said you could have weak magnets on the crank wheel. Been there! had 2 weak magnets on a wheel that was new, well a few years old but on the shelf as a spare never before installed on an engine and it would drop cylinders then quit all together.

12. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Don't know as I have not run into this issue but am curious.
    Once everything is warmed up from a run does the crank trigger gap change?

13. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Just throwing ideas out there--- can a ground problem cause this ?

14. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Not sure if you have found the problem on this by the recent posts....but I wanna tell a little story about a hot ignition system problem when I was a kid....

1967 Camaro with a big block and Mallory Uni-lite distributor (bought used at a local racer's garage sale)...ran fine around town for short distances....but when I went from Des Moines, Iowa to Car Craft Nationals in Indy 1979...the engine quit several times along I-74...no cell phone back then so we opened the hood to have a look....after a few minutes it would fire right up! Basically was a heat sink issue with the distributor or coil....high under hood temps created an "open" in the ignition system and when the temp came back down it would work fine...so I swapped to another ignition system and drove the car for many years...

Your coil and points box are probably mounted away from heat, but it sure sounds like a heat sink problem in the Mag, coil, switch or wiring to me...creating an open or ground...

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

BR Bob

If you haven't already give Bob Wyman a call at BR Motorsports (BRmotorsports.com). He is pretty good at trouble shooting and one of the best at testing and blue printing mag generators.

16. aort

aort Member

I don't know, never checked that. I can see next time I run. I got a changeover switch on the way and we'll see how that does.

17. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Change over switch should do it - I have one mounted in the cockpit as our car generally won't start on the trigger that runs through the command module. The batteries all test fine, same with trigger, new ignition components etc.. I'll have a new degree wheel on it so I suppose we can see if weak magnets are an issue. The switch setup it fires every time. As soon as the motor is running I flip the switch and then roll forward to the burnout box.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323
    Torque MGMT. - Owner

18. aj481x

aj481x Member

I didn't see it mentioned, but remember the more OD the slower it cranks.

19. Chuck Anderika

On 36 volts with a crank trigger and blower starter you get very close to cranking too slow. A weak battery , poor connection, marginal solenoid. or any other problem and although it may sound like it is cranking just as fast , it is just a little slower and won't start. At Lebanon valley we had to change a motor for the final and had thick cold oil, we went to start it as usual with 36v in the pits and it wouldn't fire Changed everything in the ignition (coil, box, grid, pickup, Mag, wires) and still no fire. Got our starting line 48 volt pack pluged it in and it fired on 1st revolution. beware of using 36volts.

20. aort

aort Member

Well it may not be a cranking issue after all. After I got my change over switch I tested the timing on both the mag and crank trigger to be sure it worked, it did no problem. Last night I got into a pulloff, so I started it on the mag and all was fine. As soon as it was switched over to the CT, it just died. I switched it back to the mag and it started back up. I just left it on the mag to make my run. There is an MSD 8168 in the loop as well. Could that be causing anything? When the changeover switch was flipped it was just like shutting the mag off, even though it worked when it was cool.