Won't idle.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by c.g., Jun 6, 2006.

1. c.g.

c.g. New Member

Hello. Thanks for all the help. I have just installed a Crower/Kinsler Stack Injection system on my BBC. This is the first time I have run a mechanical inj. and alcohol. I bought the system used and it had just been gone thru by Kinsler. I am having trouble keeping the engine idling, the engine runs fine off idle and thru the run but it just will not idle. i don't want to just start turning stuff and mess up the whole setup. Where should I start? I know the BV is set to 22% leak down. Any help would be great. Thanks.

BTW, I also need help on reading the plugs since I now run Methanol.What should I look for?

2. Eric David Bru

What does it "want" to idle at?
    What do you want it to idle at?
    Are you sure that all of the butterflies are pulling the same amount of air at idle? You will need to make sure that they have the same air gap.
    There should be set screws at the front, middle and rear of each bank to adjust the throttle plates to get the air flow right. Once you get the air flow right you may need to readjust your barrel valve. Make small steps.
    You might want to get one of these from Kinsler:
    [​IMG]
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-4025&N=115&autoview=sku

3. c.g.

c.g. New Member

Thanks Eric. I wants to idle at about 2500 rpm, I would like it to be about 1200-1500rpm.I'm not sure if they are all pulling the same amount of air but Kinsler had just gone thru the system and set it all up. There are no vacuum leaks or anything binding.

4. Eric David Bru

Sometimes when you install the manifold it causes the butterflies to change in their bores slightly. Sometimes you can feel the difference by putting your hand over the bell and let the vacuum pull on your hand. The Uni-syn is a much better way of verifying air flow however.

Remember, on this injection you are metering the air at idle with the butterflies and the fuel with your barrel valve. To high of an idle almost guarantees to much air from somewhere.

Order a uni-syn from Kinsler and let me know what you find out.

5. dragcars

dragcars New Member

check your throttle bore openings (should be about .003"-.004") high idle generally indicates a lean issue, too much air through the stacks or not enough fuel to the motor. check your main bypass poppet for sticking open, check your fuel pressure at idle, if kinsler set the unit up and flowed it, they should have given you system operating pressures at given rpms. i would advise you to invest in an egt monitor, that is the best way to tune n/a meth if you are just starting out. shoot for 1200 egt max on a run. but don't be afraid to fatten it up a couple steps at a time, some motors like it around 1070. don't worry about temps at idle, just set the bv where it idles good but aint a pig when you whack the throttle. 18-22% leak is a normal starting point but you may need more, turn the bv turnbuckle 1 flat at a time to tame the idle down. oh and make sure you have no vacuum leaks.
    frank

6. c.g.

c.g. New Member

Thanks Frank. Looks like I may be getting to tools for father's day,a leakdown tester,sync tool,egt,etc..

Thanks Again.

7. blown375

blown375 New Member

kinsler

G.C. you have already gotten some good advise but the first thing I would do is back off the throttle stops and unhook the crosshaft,then loosen the butterfly screws then gently tap the butterflys to seat them in their bores and tighten them up as you get them all seated you need to do this every time you reinstall your stack injector , It will change ! After you have the butterflys all seated in the bores I use to use two .0015 feeler guages between the bore and butterfly to adjust the crosshaft (and the end to end "if you have split throtle shafts")then when you get the same amount of drag everywhere set to your final desired throtle opening , getting every thing all the same will make a big difference on idle and response. Hope this helps!
    p.s. Hilborn use to sell a very good book for stack injection basics and trouble shooting and is very helpfull ,as well ;so is Kinsler.

8. c.g.

c.g. New Member

Thanks Robert. I have had the manifold on and off a few times so that may be it.

9. chugams

chugams New Member

We fought this problem and a simple tube tying the stacks together under the butterflys equalized the manifold vacuume and shizamme she idled! Randy Savage