Wires

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by skauto, Feb 16, 2011.

1. skauto

skauto Member

What is the spark plug wire of choice if using a super mag iv on a blown alcohol motor, and if it matters there will be a RPM data logger.I was thinking of the MSD 8.5 Black race wires or Good vibrations lists a solid core and a carbon core wire both they reccomend for magnetos
    Thanks for your responses

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

you now have opened a can of worms....:D..they say that running a mallory mag you must run solid core wires and if you talk to your onboard compt. company they will tell you that a solid core will not work with a compt. ive run both and the only thing I can say is that the msd wires dont last very long, if you talk to don zig he will tell you to run solid it has something to do with amps and volts, I hope that someone else will chime in on this.. good luck Dave

3. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

Hi guys, my understanding is that you should use solid core non helically wound wires for a mag. This will have implications if running data loggers etc but you should be OK as long as you dont run sensor wires close to the HT leads. You may need to shield the data logger unit if it is close to the HT leads but it should be fine if its physically isolated or behind a firewall etc. Its the opposite for MSD electonic ignition systems such as MSD-8's and MSD-10's etc, these must use the helically wound wires. Cheers Graham

4. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

I run a super mag and tried the solid core wires with absolutely no luck. I even wraped all the wires and connections to my tach and shift box with aluminum foil with no difference. As soon as the engine hit 3000 rpm the shift light would blink and the tach would peg out. I switched to MSD super conductors and everything instantly worked. I've been tempted to try and run the solid cores again since I got a decent tune up and see if there is any difference.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I don't care which wires they are the outer insulation will break down long before the internal conductor goes. There is no way to check the outer insulation like you can do with the inner wire unless you get the junior guy on the team to run there hands up and down the plug wires while the engine is running. When the outer insulation breaks down then the high voltage leaks out and either goes to ground and you drop a cylinder or worse, jumps across to another wire and fires off that other sparkplug and you have pre-ignition and that can absolutely destroy a motor. It doesn't matter if the inner core is solid or the special MSD wound center the outer core is going to breakdown. With a super high milliJoule system that has all that spark energy that is produced in a ProMag system you have to change the ignition wires maybe two or three times a season depending on how much you run. MSD state that the one biggest thing they do at the track to fix cars is to have the guys install new wires. Racepak data loggers and MSD ProMag boxes and timing controls and auto shifters will NOT function correctly with solid core wires. You have heard me time and time again talk about EMI and the crank trigger well switch to solid core wires and see what happens with EMI.

A true story here. Way back when the Cold War started and the Russians got balistic missiles they found out that the Russians could get final targeting on there missiles by the sparkplug wire radiated interference from solid core wires because there were so many cars massed in a city putting out all this interference. The government made all the cars switch over to suppressor core wires. So imagine what that does to our electronivcs on the car.

6. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

plug wires

Way Cool Mike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don

7. skauto

skauto Member

Thanks for the input, so if i understand correctly, I should go to a good carbon core wire that has a straight through core and buy the set that has the thickest biggest outer diameter jacket so it has further distance to burn through the outer layers? Instead of a spiral wound core because in theory it will place the core closer to the outside therefore increasing the chance of it coming through the outer layers? There are some huge 10mm dia wire sets out there.