Wings

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Expat, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Expat

Expat New Member

Was checking some pics from Pomona qualifying yesterday and I was curious about the wing configurations on the TAD's. I can see there are many different chassis and age differences, but the wings (in particular the rear) were clearly quite different from one car to the next and I wondered if the wing is purely stability or is there any performnce to be gained from them. Before I moved to my current home in Vancouver BC, I was a mechanic on circuit races cars in the UK and the wings played a huge role in the cars performance, but they had corners and breaking to deal with so there really isn't anything to compare so I hope someone can shead some light on this for me.

Thanks
    Paul.

2. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

This is not at all a professional statement, but there are different wings. Example: The car that Ashley Force drove had (at least I think) wings that were Top Fuel worthy on both ends. The front wings I know are sometimes smaller because you dont need that much downforce on a A/Fuel. I dont know how much you can deviate on the rear wing... maybe someone more educated could do better than I can.

CJ Curtsinger

3. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

hehe

I almost forgot... one of my best memories was last year at the Atlanta Div 2 race... My dad and I were watching Ashley Force get ready to run and there were a bunch of drunk rednecks around us... The wife asked her husband why Ashley Force wins so much, and he said (very matter-of-factly) that it was because they had the biggest front end wing... my dad and I cracked up... we actually had to move to the other side of the staging lanes because we didn't want to be rude... that wasn't the only statement they made, but it was the funniest... me and my dad have joked about it ever since... if someone beats me, its now because they must have had a bigger front wing... hehe.. thought Id share that..
    CJ Curtsinger

4. Thurston

Thurston New

Shoulda Won

Ya, if it wasn't for red lighting, and breaking out I would have won that last round, now I have to worry about the other guy having a bigger wing!:eek: