wing angle

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fuelalt, Feb 4, 2009.

1. fuelalt

fuelalt New Member

Just wondering about what wing angle most of you with altereds are running? My wing is at 11 degreees down. The previous owner had a blown small block and ran 187mph with no problems. I am running a 598 cu.in. bbc and was just wondering if there is an optimum angle or does it require some experimentation? I forgot the measurements, but the wing is just about the width a little outside the body. Also, I'm measuring on the flat center of the top surface of the wing. The last wing car I had was a rear engine dragster years ago, but the wing was not a true wing shape, but more of a triangle air foil with kickup in the back. Seemed to work well, but I think we only ran it down 3 1/2 degrees.

Appreciate any info
    Thanks, Les

2. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

11 seems aggressive, all I would say is try it. If the car has ran 187 then it obviously works with the car, as long as that 187 was on the floor and not in the air!

In the early 90's when we started running 185+ we added the wing and it sorted it. No idea of our angle but we just played with it each run till the car felt right.

3. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

you will probably get a few replies to this one. i can only tell you our findings with our car, and my personal opinion. there are alot of variables that come into play.....wing size, speed, wing profile, etc. we ran a 36x10 wing on our car and it seemed to really settle the car down on the other end of the track at around 3-4 degrees. 2 years ago we put a 48x12 wing on the car and now it's like a cadillac at 0 angle. you can definately get too big of a wing, and hurt the performance of the car. you can also hurt it with too much angle. it's all about what the car wants, listen to it......it will definately tell you. hope this helps

4. BLOWN INCOME

Depends on the wing ! Was running 8 to 10 degree on our old style....with our new J.D.2 chassis(330 332-4551) built wing,very reasonably priced, we run only 1 degree..that alot of difference..speed slowed down 3mph et picked up .13 on the quarter..(6.10 at 228mph ,blown hemi ,lencodrive,fiat, altered,125")

5. mike cioci

mike cioci New Member

my wing is 15 inches deep and 48 inches wide and at 4 degrees it makes 200 pounds of down force at 150 or 200 mph...i forget now...but if its a real inverted wing ,it should make down force at 0 degrees

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

The best thing to do is run as little wing as you can. I started at 4 degrees on mine and have worked my way up to 10 degrees to keep tire spin under control down track. Once the spin left the graph I stopped adding wing. Every car will be different at every track in every condition. I occasionally have to add or remove a little wing depending on where I am running.

7. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Just remember that whatever degrees you set the rear wing at it will change with tire growth. Each wing has its own efficieny angle. Exceed this and it will have less down force and more draq.