Will a BIG 12 volt, Deep cycle battery and Expensive CSR starter spin a 44 to Start?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Scotttrod, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Ok,

I have been convinced that my MSD 10 won't cut the mustard on my Hemi/C rotor and that I need to dive in on a 44 Mag.

So, next issue..... will a big, 2100 CCA deep cycle 12 volt battery (think ballast required for outlaw class, it does have lead ;-)) and a high dollar CSR starter spin a 10.2 to 1 hemi fast enough to light? Or am I in for the next set of problems???

Thank for the replies and the other replies on the other threads, I can push this thing faster than it will drive itself.

Scott

2. Trickie67

Trickie67 Member

No it wont and I am running a Pro Mag 20 I did try with 12 volt with newest starter out from MSD made for blown engine. It was suppose to crank 25% faster but it wouldn't fire it up so I got me a 16V battery and it fired right up. Maybe it is different for the others?

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It will not start it. It is voltage that controls starter speed not amps. Amps allows you to maintain the starter speed.

4. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

So, 16 volts? or 24? Just throw the volts to the same starter?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. Trickie67

Trickie67 Member

What I did first before I bought the 16V I parallel a 12V and 6V to make it 18V and see if it crank faster and produce spark and it did so that is the reason I got 16V cause there aint no room in the 23T altered battery compartment to run two batteries. I did run two batteries on my other race car.

6. overkill69

overkill69 Member

csr

2 redtop optimas in series for 24v and a standard csr starter have worked for us for yrs. We start off the crank trigger also.

7. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Got it, thanks

8. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Ok, understand..... I will sort it out 24 volts to the starter

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You don't need big red top Optima batteries. Two lightweight Braille batteries or equivalent will work. If that motor doesn't start with the first two seconds then you have a problem. If kept charged between rounds the Braille batteries work. The big problem with both a 16 v or a 24 v system is that you have to buy a battery charger and they can be expensive

As far as putting a 12 volt battery in series with a 6 volt battery that is a big no and you were lucky it worked and didn't explode a battery. With two different voltage batteries they will try their hardest to seek an even voltage between the two of them.

10. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I used two yellow top Optima's wired for 24 volts. I ran a power supply wire off of the grounded battery to supply 12 volts to the electronics and starter button. Charged the batteries seperate with a standard 12 volt charger. Worked great, but a little heavy!

11. skauto

skauto Member

spend the money on the csr 24v starter i went through a bunch of 12v starters putting 24v through them.

12. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Could I still use the big battery and then get a smaller Braille for the starter circuit only? (12 volts for most of car, 24 for starter)