Whipple vs PSI Screw

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TOL, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TOL

TOL Active Member

I know that the Whipple A980 (axial front load - second generation) is no longer produced or supported. However, there are a few good units floating around used for sale, and the look is kind of cool, and I don't need for it to be certified by SFI.

Has anyone here had experience to know how the Whipple A980 compares to say a PSI C or D screw in terms of performance?

Just curious, and would appreciate any comments. Thinking of buying a used A980 for a certain application, but if the PSI is superior and lighter then maybe I'll just opt for another new C.

Thanks.

2. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I liked running the Whipple, you pretty well run it the same overdrive as a roots, so you can use the 14 mm belts if you want. It performed very well for us, but I don't have any comparisons to a PSI. At the time is was still being used by a lot of people, it ran just as well as a PSI.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

C blower

You're going to have to turn the whipple much harder, above the sfi recommended guidelines to even get close to the output of a PSI C Blower.

4. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Interesting Question, We Had A Couple On Some Door Cars Ran Pretty Well But We Never Put The Boost The Psi's Are Doing Now. I Think It Was Like 46 Lbs At Around 48% Over On A 540. Weight Is An Issue Also Them Whipples Are Heavy

5. Mudwrench

Mudwrench Member

What is the output of the Psi C rotor in terms of cubic foot or litres of air per revolution?

What is the gear ratio inside the psi?

I have an old top load whipple and I want to calculate the diff. in air output between the two. I must quantify this to a numerical answer to see how quick I need to move to the PSI.

Gurus Please Help?

Mudwrench

6. Danny Humphreys

Whipple

You might call JR at RBS. He told me he had a couple of customers running the whipple at 100 over on fuel!! Sand dragsters so very short duration, but still... Also Bob Newberry ran the whipple program and obviously switched over to the PSI so he might have some input. I talked with a couple of racers who have run both and said they wish the whipple was still around because it was easier on parts. Whatever you find out, please hsare it with us. I have a whipple on my new combo but haven't had it out yet.

7. staflund

staflund New Member

Output SFI/whipple

We are running a Whipple A980 at 62% in our TAFC ( europe). the output is 42 psi at 7400 RPM and 49 psi at 8500 rpm . whats the out put on the PSI at those RPM. And what shift RPM did people use when they were running whipple. and fastest run before ban in the states in TAFC.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Psi D

A PSI D blower can make in the upper 50's in boost at 9000 rpm at 128 over. C blower can make well into the 60 lb range.

9. Bob69

Bob69 Member

Whip it up

Dont forget guys its not the PSI number that is most important its the quality of the air coming out of the blower. The cooler the charge the more power you make. comparing 45lb with a whipple and 45lb with a PSI or roots is not good logic.
    I prefer PSI anyway, I believe outlet charge is cooler, and its lighter and prettyer.
    P

10. Michael Harvey

Michael Harvey New Member

John Zappia from Australia has run many 5 sec runs in his top doorlammer (pro mod style car) with his Whipple.
    Whipples can also be SFI recertified in Australia

11. Bob69

Bob69 Member

But I heard he has switched to a PSi now? And gone faster?
    P

12. staflund

staflund New Member

What times

Did any one have the numbers people was running with the whipple.
    engine Combo 526 .511 ??

13. Mudwrench

Mudwrench Member

After searching the site for a while I found older posts showing the output
    of the PSI D is 10.8 Litres per revolution and the C is 11.2 Litres per revolution.
    Now if someone could xplain the drive ratio difference we could put numbers on this. I have an basic excell spreadsheet that compares the Whipple to some Roots blowers concerning theoretical boost numbers....

Where is JR. when you need him??? I know he has the answer...

Mudwrench