Whipple R980

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bounty Hunter, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

I recently purchased a R980 whipple with PSI injector to put on my 526 BAE hemi, 44 mag with new 1100 pump(alcohol), 3-disk 11" crowerglide. Plan to turn between 40 and 60 over. Any help on tune-up, or warnings?

2. BenchRacer

BenchRacer Super Comp

I think they used to run them 60 over. I don't think a 1100 will put out enough volume you might need a waterman red pump with the 20 or 22 gal. gears in it. You probably want to flow close to 12.5 - 13 gals @ 8000. Brad still might have a fuel system for the Whipple in the archives I would check with him.

3. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Your 1100 pump is just big enough to run in the mud. As long as your pits aren't any longer than a 100 yards. Many guys are out there running sand drags and mud with simular set-ups. Call Ralph Gorr, He can help with your needs.

4. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter New Member

Thanks guys, Tore one motor up after putting the 44 on it and not enough fuel with a 14-71. Don't want to have a repeat with the whipple. We run 200 to 250' normally. Do ya'll happen to have Gorrs # handy? BAE didn't have time for me today. Thanks.

5. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

Ralphs number is 949-859-2359

6. Norm Drazy

Norm Drazy Jr. Dragster

Bounty Hunter,

Read the thread in which I talked about the stiff mag drive shaft. It's not the MSD 44 itself that tears things up, but if the mag drive shaft is too wimpy to keep its massive armature in exact lockstep with the crankshaft, then stand back, because it'll beat up everything imaginable. If kept in phase, it's a pussycat.

Incidentally, in these posts, I've been making a conscious effort to convey information without favoring anyone's product.

Norm