Which Rods To Use?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hemi altered 378, Feb 9, 2006.

1. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i know that most of the blown cars are running either GRP, or Brooks rods. my question is: has anyone ever tried R&R rods? if so, can you tell me the pros/cons for these. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

2. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Rodin' around

I've used R&R billet rods in several applications. Haven't had any problems and get great service. Get just as many runs out of them as the B2.

3. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

best rods money can buy, we have tested many rods severly and r&r's have saved us many times.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Grp

Another rod to consider is GRP. Most of the top teams in TAD/TAFC run GRP's. You'll get more runs, and they're a stronger rod. Top notch customer service from Brian and the guys.

They have also been a supporter of InsideTopAlcohol.com since 2001.

5. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

I believe Jim Oddy is a big fan of the R&R billet rod. That speaks volumes also....

6. clint thompson

brooks rods

i can tell you from my experience, i'm switching from brooks to grp. last year we had two failures with brooks, once at mission (5th run) and at the finals (4th run). both times i had hit the rev limiter just slightly on prev runs when the shift lite failed (gotta get a led one) and within two runs i had holes in the pan. we are ultra meticulous about the maintanence of the car and the torque wrench and feel it is just not a good rod. everyone who runs grp's swears by them so that's what were gonna use. i was changing the brooks rods at 12 runs, everyone says you can run the grps 20 plus so ???

just my two cents from experience.

7. flash

flash top alcohol

grp rods

last year we broke a trans on the 22nd pass on a set of grp rods,stuck the motor on the rev limiter at 10,500,and everything stayed in the motor.it was the last race for us that year and we where going to take them out at 25 passes anyway.but they stayed in the motor!! we took them out after that but I was impressed!!! ta/fc psi car.

8. TD2490

TD2490 New Member

we have run R&R rods for years, never no problems, plus you would be surprised at how many alky & promod cars run them

9. Lethal Threat Racing

I have been runing Bill Miller rod for 4 years and get 40+ runs before I change them, am I pushing it to long running the rods and using the wrong rods. BBC set up 14 -71 high heilx king bearings 30% over drive.

Thanks

10. mike tkach

mike tkach New Member

4 years at 40 runs and no failure,you answered your question,don,t change your maintance program,it,s working.a friend of mine uses miller rods in a nitrous 632,he changes rods at 50 runs,he also has had no failure.remember,rpm kills rods,espically non loaded rpm[broken trans,rear end etc]

11. mike tkach

mike tkach New Member

rods

r&r vs brooks.i have installed both brands in blown alky engines,and had no rod failures due to the rods.i recall one time the arias 8.3L blew the high pressure hose off the hose end at about 900 feet.spun&ate up all the bearings,ate the crank,ate the main saddels,and guess what,not even one of the r&r rods broke,i think if a rod can live through that kind of punishment,normal wear&tear is no sweat.i am not saying this because i know mike from r&r,i am saying it because i believe it is a really high quality rod and worth every cent they cost.i use both brooks and r&r in my own engines

12. blown375

blown375 New Member

rods

Another great rod to look into are the billet rods made by Fowler engines ,I have had great sucess with their rods and my engine has seen over 13,000 RPM with no problems and you couldn't ask for better support.

One really nice feature of Fowler rods is the fact that they are dowled so you don't need to mess with feeler gauges when you are laying on your back torquing the rods .

Fowlers number is 614- 258-2924 ask for Jeff or Chris tell them I sent you.

13. eli

eli Banned

Forget the RODS I want to know what kind of SPRINGS you use to go to 13,000 rpm?????:rolleyes:

14. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

We use MGP rods in our motor. MGP is owned and operated by Mike Gianonne. He originally started and built up GRP-"Gianonne Racing Products", then sold GRP and started MGP. I hate to admit it, but I made some really stupid moves on our motor when we first started racing. And I firmly believe the MGPs' saved my ass more than a few times.