Which Blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Shakedown, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

We are running a Dart BigM Block w/Big Chief hds w/callis crank and Brooks rods 990 fuel pump and a MSD Pro 12. We have a 14/71 Hi Helix and a R-980 Whipple any suggestions on which blower to run. Thanks for the space and any help.

2. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

3. SMcLEMORE

SMcLEMORE New Member

Whipple: more power and less maintenance.

4. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

WHAT KIND OF RACING ARE YOU DOING. JR

5. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

We mud race. The track is 250ft. If I had not mentioned yet we run a clutch behind this RAT.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The Whipple needs tons of RPM to make boost whereas the Roots makes boost at a lower RPM. It takes more power to drive a Roots than a Whipple. You have to re-stripe a Roots and a Whipple you don't. A Roots heats the charged air more than a Whipple. With a Roots you have to pull out fuel with RPM and a Whipple you have to add fuel with RPM. A whipple makes more boost/power than a Roots.

The big question is if you can keep the RPM up high enough to support a Whipple, if so, then I would go for the Whipple.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i'd say go with the whipple for mud drags. my dad and george lapp ran a two wheel drive open truck for a few years in the late 80's-90's. the motor is freewheeling most of the track. the hot set up would be that with a 3 stage lock up clutch.

8. Mudwrench

Mudwrench Member

Now Wait just a minute here...I just bought my Whipple for Mud Racing too. I thought the Whipple was supposed to make boost faster than roots...Plus bigger gains on the top end also...
    Mudwrench

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes the Whipple makes more boost but at high engine RPMs

10. Mudwrench

Mudwrench Member

Mike,
    What would your opinion be on the difference between Early Whipple and PSI screw...I know the overdrive is different, but in general would each create different Power Bands???

11. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

THIS IS TO SHAKEDOWN AND MUDWRENCH DO YOU GUYS HAVE A OVERDRIVE LIMIT I KNOW YOU RUN 300 FT. AND AS WILL STATES SCIM ACROSS THE TOP WITH LOTS OF WHEEL SPEED. IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN OVERDRIVE LIMIT THIS WHIPPLE WILL MAKE MORE POWER THAN YOU PROBALY COULD HANDLE. I HAVE SOME CUSTOMERS THAT RUN THEM IN THE SAND AND RUN IT 108 OVER ON ALCH AND CLOSE TO 80 ON ANOTHER WITH 60 PERCENT NITRO ON A 500 KB BOTH GUYS LOVE THEM. IF THERE IS NO OVERDRIVE LIMIT YOU CAN GET CREATIVE AND BUT NOT TO CRAZY THE ADVANTAGE YOU HAVE IS THE 300 FT TRACKS. GOOD LUCK AND SHAKEDOWN IF YOU NEED A WHIPPLE BLOWER SET UP I HAVE A NICE ONE THANKS JR

12. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Well Thanks for all the help. Will Hanna I believe you know my neighbors from Bay City. Now back to the blower, the whipple on the hemi was only turning 7000 on the big end. Some of the diff I am worried about is the block is only a BigM not a KB. The only advantge the RAT has is a smaller crank and longer rods. We were running the blower only 60 over on the hemi, were as I was going to put the blower at 40 over on the RAT, not unless there is some better advice??? Once again thanks for all the help!!!!

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the mud track shakedown is talking about is really quite different from what most mud racing tracks are. it's closer to a sand drag track in some ways. unless it has changed drastically in the past few years its a sandy clay mixed with the top soil. so its a lot harder mud than you see on some of the mud bogs on tv. it creates some pretty serious ruts you have to deal with off the line, and for the most part its flat and slick on the big end.

a quick history lesson on the whipple....the tad od limit for a while was 52 over, and i think jay payne ran as quick as 5.48 like that...so you should make plenty of boost in the 40-60 od range. i also would be concerned with stepping on it with the big m block.

i still think you're going to come out better any way you slice it with the whipple vs the roots. regardless of which blower makes more boost where, it takes so much power to turn that roots...not to mention maintenance.

who is your neighbors in bay city?

14. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Will Hanna my secretary is Kim Stewart, Buds daughter. George Lapp knows me very well also. I live about 15mins from the mud track. :eek:

15. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

BUMP!!!! Thanks for the help everybody, I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any suggestions if 40 over and a dart digM will make it without pushing the bottom end out of the block? Thank you Shakedown

16. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Shakedown, I have several sanddrag customers that run the iron dart blocks with whipple r980's with as much as 60% over. We haven't had any main web failure. 300' is the savior. :cool:

17. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Hey rpmhiperf could you give me a call or leave a number were I can reach you. My number is 979-429-3533. Once Again Thanks for the help....

18. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

You can call (616-669-7883) me at my shop on Tuesday. I'll be at The D3 race at Mid-Michigan the rest of the week. :D

19. Danny Humphreys

I ran a Big M w/ a whipple @ 62% over and never had a bottom end problem. Pulled it out becasue of weight and went with a KB Olds block and have had nothing but bottom end troubles since. i'd go back to the big M in a heartbeat, if i could get the car to work with the extra nose weight. I spoke w/ Jim Oddy about this and they ran a Big M for quite awhile when running Nitro coupe a few years ago. Also some of the fuel nostalgia guys ran them as well. It is a stout piece. i assume you are running the billet caps though.

20. Mudwrench

Mudwrench Member

Danny,
    Could you please elaborate on the bottom end of the KB Olds block. I am building a 10.700 Deck height 572 with a Whipple. I followed your suggestions by getting rid of the Rodeck 481 and going with KB block. Is there something querky I should watch for...or maybe just don't twist that whipple so hard?
    Mudwrench