when to cook oil

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrodharlkey, Sep 12, 2014.

1. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

have done few start ups and couple passes on my car and been riching up my eng;;so thought should drain oil befor go to track again and check oil for alcohol;;new to this so how do i know if need to cook my oil or not?i drained yesterday and today i looked at it and still has the brad penn green color to it and doesn't look as anything floating on top..

2. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I have a 20qt sauce pan that i will dump my oil into. I then heat the pan on the stove in the my shop (don't do it in the house, vapors, smell). I hang a meter of therms in it, and keep it around 160-180*. once it gets above 140*, you'll see the methanol start to bubble out, and you'll smell it. When it subsides, the color will be back to 'normal' and the vapors will taper off. I pour mine back in while it's warm, but make sure you use a metal funnel. :)

3. jeragsters

jeragsters top fuel sand

I use the heat in my engine to take care of that. Just pull your burndown tubes ASAP after a run or warmup. If you're going to run the valves, get those covers off ASAP, also.

4. wld4x4

wld4x4 Member

To answer your question, If you are running Brad Penn it will start to get a lighter pea green if it's getting contaminated. That is when its time to start cooking it.