Wheelie Bar Quick Pins

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Is it safe to use quick pins where your wheelie bars hook to the rear end? Tired of taking on and off w/ bolts/nuts at the track. If so, where do you buy these at? I think ours are 1/2"?

Josh

2. OutlawGBR

OutlawGBR Member

I would say its safe, I have worked on a couple Top Fuel cars that used quick pins.
    As for where to buy them, try McMasterCarr or a chassis builder.

JP

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

josh. you have the pins in your back yard.boening or the yard..Dave

4. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Yeah I figured there's places here. Just curious if there's any "hazard" to doing it this way. I don't think there's any rules that i know of.

5. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

I asked Bob Blackwell - Division V tech director about this....why we couldn't use quick pins on the wing of our altered but could use them on the wheelie bar.....the wing has a lot less shear pressure on the pins, but he said it had to do with how fast the car was traveling - the wheelie bar works at low speeds and the wings work at high speeds..I wanted to quick pin my wing so that I could drop it easily to clear the trailer door when loading....but the answer was no...

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i have a video of my funnycar in phoenix city ala. when it sheared a wheelie bar pin off i cost me a new chassis i would say just used the bolts are shorten the wheelie bar if you have problems getting it in the trailer because you dont like taking it off will pins work sure can they shear off they sure can

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

wheelie bar

Usually a broken wheelie bar will puncture a tire resulting in a potential crash.

8. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Which is why you NEVER tighten your nuts and bolts, they MUST pivot !
    So, I see it as a safety issue to use pins, rather than have an over zealous crewmember tighten everything on the wheeliebar.

do what you gotta do, I still never got an answer that made sense on changing brakehandles,that'll maybe endanger several people because of one dumbass!

9. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

We use quick pins on a 2 pc wheelie bar and the tubes are sleeved to be double thick where they join.....I built the wheelie bar using a S & W kit and all of the attachment points are bolted - and as Bob mentioned, bolts with prevailing torque nuts to allow pivot...

10. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

quick pins are like anything else there is good ones and poor ones if you go with the bolts remember that grade 8 is a pull strong bolt not a shear strong bolt..secondwind SWR machine