Wheelie bar question???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Hey guys, love the site! It's helped me a bunch. I run outlaw 10.5 with a sbf, blown alky, bruno/lenco, 3400lb ladder bar car. We run a single wheel wheelie bar-62in. My problem is the wheelie bar hits the ground too hard on launch causing the tires to unload. We've limited the front end travel, but the wheelie bar seems to move way quicker in relation to the front end. Is this a rear shock adj problem? We leave around 2200 rpm, 1st gear is 2.60, 4.11 rear end, 33in tall tires. We're thinking of building longer wheelie bars, i'm a little hesitant and thought i'd get some of your guys' input. Thanks in advance!

Josh

2. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

tires?

what tire combo/ air pressure are you running? if you video your runs you'll see that the first move of the wheelie bar is straight down, as the tire wads. also, how high are bars set, and are they very rigid

3. Mike Pavia

Mike Pavia Member

a long wheelie bar is easier to work with. a short bar is like a hair trigger. you need to be spot on with the adjustment every time. how long is your current bar?

4. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

Is this a 4 link car? If so, you may need to change the intersect point, but a crutch for the problem is to tighten up the extension side of the shock to slow down the rear end movement towards the ground. Also a little more tire pressure may be in order. How high is the centerline of the wheel from the ground in a race ready position? What is the spring rating of the rear springs? What is the weight of the car?

Rob

5. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Bryan you're right, the video shows the wheelie bar going straight down and the tires wod up, when the tires come back they break loose and the car hops when it looses the weight transfer. The tires are M/T slicks, 33x10.5w, we usually run around 10.5lbs or air.

Wheelie bars are ran at about 6-9in above the ground, tried 4in and didn't hook. Ladder bar car (instant center is down a bit, bar slants down slightly), car weighs 3450lbs, bars are 62in and are not rigid at all! I believe the rear springs are 180? We tightened up the rebound on the shocks at a good bite'n track, and it spun terrible. It's been a nightmare really. Oddly enough my ET matches the mph perfectly, but you know how them charts are. Thanks guys for the info!

Josh

6. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

Josh,
    Sounds like your ladder bar instant center needs to be moved up, you are hitting the tire way too hard. A longer wheelie bar is a good idea. But, the longer the wheelie bar the higher up it needs to be off the ground so as not to interfere with the weight transfer. Every car is different, if you can change the ladder bar I would start there rather than paying for new wheelie bars to be built.

7. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

10 1/2 pounds? Is that a beadlock, or tubes and liners? That sounds high to me either way.

I don't know anything about suspensions or tuning cars that heavy, but I don't think the wheelie bar is your problem. I think shoe is right about hitting the tire too hard. We thought we had the same problem a while back, and kept moving the bar up until it didn't hit them. Problem is, that didn't help. Turns out, we think the beadlocks we were running let the tires wad too much, and when the weight transferred back up off the initial hit, it unloaded the rear of the car, and smoked the tires. The only way to get it off the line was to fatten the launch alot. 2200 sounds like a low launch rpm. I may be wrong, but I think some cars can be much more violent when launching a lower rpms because the clutch locks up and doesn't slip. Yours being an automatic, this may not apply, I don't know, just something to think about.

bryan

8. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

You may be right...i don't run any beedlocks...infact this year we're putting those tires on a 14" rim...and doubling the wheel screws...sounds crazy i know, but that's what everyone's doing. So we'll probably have to run even more psi to keep the tire from buckling in the middle...

I was always told that raising the instant center allowed the car to separate easier putting more "hit" on the tires. I might be wrong on that. My converter guy (marty chance) did stay i need to be leaving at a higher RPM cause it's flashing the converter too hard. What about the wheelie bars being so flexible....should they be really stiff??

9. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

???

i do know the lower the launch rpm, the more the converter will multiply touque... a higher launch rpm will calm it down.... i tried this personally..... it does work.... Mike

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Flyboy68, you are confusing people with the type of car you have. Those 33x10.5w tires with 3400+ pounds of car weight require between 12.5 and 13.0 psi. Believe me here because I have tested cars just the same. With 10 psi in those tires they are going to flatten them out too much on launch and will feel like you are driving on ice at the finishline. If your front end is coming way off the track if so you have all the 3400+ lbs just on the rear tires.

Since this car has a suspension things are different to a FC. When you say the wheelie bar goes down is that because the rear end squats or is that because your front end is coming off the ground (rotation)? What kind of rear shocks do you have and what adjustment setting do you have?

With a ladder bar rear suspension it is obvious that you do not have a tubular chassis in that car so the 62" length wheelie bar may be way too long since you really can't control the front end lifting.

11. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

I agree with Marty, too low on the RPM's. You need to leave near where the flash point is. Our 96" bars do not flex, they have a structure built in the middle to prevent this yet allow the tubes to move relative to each other.

12. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

Agree here too, more tire pressure. Safer and less spooky at the top end.

13. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Sorry for any confusion guys, this is an all steel 68 fastback mustang, back-halfed, front strange adjustable struts, strange dual adjustable rear shocks. Mike I agree we should run more psi in the tires. According to the video, the wheelie bar smacks the ground before the front end comes completely up. The tires wrinkle shortly after and then unload and the wheelie bar stays on the ground until about 40 ft out. Shouldn't the wheelie bar mimick what the instant center is doing? I'll be the first to admit i'm not a chassis guy... trying to learn though! lol...

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You didn't say what your rear shocks were adjusted at. If the wheelie bars smack te ground before the front comes up then you have too much squat. Two things can cause that.....1) The compression side of the shocks are too loose. A good place to start out is about 3/4 tight. So if you have 12 clicks of adjustment you need to be around 8 or 9..... 2) if the rebound (extension) is too tight then the frame will not rise up away from the rear axle on launch which you want. I don't know how the rebound adjustment is on a Strange rear shock so tell me what is the range and where you have it now set. Iwould guess it needs to be a little looser.

The other problem is your 2.60 1st gear which indicates that you are running a three speed automatic...is that correct? Either way that is way too much gear with the 4.11 rear. That combo makes the launch way to violent for your car. maybe if you had a 4-link it would be better but it is way too much. Remember a converter gives you torque multiplication and on top of that you have the 2.60 1st gear. The converter actually acts like a 1st gear by itself and that is why guys that run a Lenco/Bruno converter combination get rid of the 1st gear. You would do better to use a two speed PG with a 1.80 1st gear.

What you may want to consider is a 3.89 rear to soften up the launch.

15. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Mike i don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if you were to push down on the back of the car the wheelie bar moves upward (frame moves towards the rear end housing causing instant center to move down, in turn the wheelie bar goes up). If I push down on the wheelie bar the back of my car goes up. In my case the wheelie bar would move down because of separation, not because of squat. When my car launches the wheel in relation to the top of the fender stays the same, that tells me the car is not squating or extending. The tires wodding up is really the only downward movement. I usually have them set at 7 (out of ten clicks) on the compression, and 4 or 5 on the rebound. Any more clicks (6 or 7) on the rebound and the tires will usually just blow away because like you said it won't allow separation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No problem with my toes. It is hard to figure out someones problem on the internet. You said your wheelie bar hits the ground before the front end comes up. If it hit when the front comes up then it is rotation. If the back goes down before the front comes up it is called squat. If you want to email me a copy of the video I can tell you more.

What is confusing is that not everything is happening to the suspension at the same time. The correct normal sequence in a launch of a "suspension" car is that immediately at launch the rear raises up from the rear axle. You can only see this using frame by frame analysis while (as you said) watching the relationship of the rear upper fender lip and the top of the tire. This happens real fast. After the rear comes up the front will start to rise and then the whole car should start to rotate and then the rear will start to go down. According to what you have described your car is not going through that sequence.

The rebound adjustment adjusts the amount of hit (planting) on the rear tires. The hit occurs when the frame/body initially tries to separate from the rear axle right at launch. This sudden attempt of the frame/body to separate from the axle causes an equal and opposite action which pushes down on the rear axle and the tires. A loose rebound cause more separation and a harder hit and can cause tire shake or compresses the rear tires too much. A tight rebound stops the rear from rising and softens the hit. Too tight of a rebound results in no separation and littlr to no planting of the tires so you blow the tires off right at launch.

Compression helps stop squat and needs to always be as tight as the track will allow. If too tight then your car will dance on the bumps in the track. Too loose and the rear of the car will drop too fast and will squat right after the initial launch which which can occur after the separation but to the eye looks like it happens right away.

Given all that then I would recommend viewing the video again frame by frame stop action and slow motion and describe exactly what you see.

Again with a motor like that in a car with that 1st gear ratio you are going to have a hard time keeping it off the wheelie bars.

17. 200on10.5

200on10.5 New Member

You probably don't have the money to change everything so lets work with what you have. The ladder bar will work(look at terry robins old car) but it is probably short(32"?) and high(ic).both of these spell hard instant hit. Because the ic is behind the centre of gravity most of the force of the climbing pinion will lift the back end up. Now because you have the front end tied down, coupled with the fact that you have a very nose heavy car(right?) you will get NO weight transfer. So loosen up the front end as much as possible and raise the wheelie bar. You dont have the criteria to leave like a prostock you must leave like a superstock. Also check out your thrust formula. You do have other options other than changing gear ratios. More on that later.

18. mcfly

mcfly New Member

bars

raise the launch RPM you need tire speed,sounds like ur boggin' the motor,tuner up! first over power the tire,then back into the correct RPM launch..less time spent trying to sneek up on it,tuner'up and back down to it.

19. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Mike thanks for the clearification...that helps a bunch! I would love for you to look at the video...i'll get a couple of launch shots put together and send them to you and if anyone else would like to see so you can voice your opinion just let me know...i would be very appreciative.

200on10.5>yes the car is very nose heavy, i believe the ladder bars are 32". We actually limited the front to only 2-3" travel to try an keep it off the wheelie bars...should i take that limitation out as well as loosen up the shock? Does more weight transfer=tires buckling more?

20. Danny Humphreys

I'll throw my 2 cents in. 2.60 is WAY too much first gear. Also I run only 7 lbs of air on my 10.5 car (w/ beadocks) because it's way nose heavy and is no prob on the top end from a handling perspective (166 mph in the 1/8th) Everyone's combo is different. All I'm saying is don't be afraid to go away from conventional wisdom to get 'er done.