wheelie bar length

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CjRedden, Oct 6, 2014.

1. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

after finishing up my top sportsman season begins winter preparations and ideas of how to make my car better as it has been a growing process. currently in my top sportsman nova 526 cu in 14-71 hi helix ive been 6.85 at 202. 34.5 inch hoosier tires with a 4.11 rear gear in it now. we are going to move up to a 4.30 this winter. been fighting tire shake and wheel speed all year.

so my question comes in, right now I have dual 72" wheelie bars on it now. just recently we did snap a lower heim joint on the rear end driver side of the lower bar. im not sure if the length effected it breaking or just a simple parts failure.

would it be beneficial to go to a longer wheelie bar as I see a lot of promod cars are running 80 plus inches on there wheelie bars. any recommendations as to if I should have a new set built and what length is should go with?

thank you

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

I went from a 97 inch dual bar to a single 80 inch bar. Loved it never looked back ! Car characteristics didn't change one bit. However I think you had a parts failure. Lots of people put the cheapiest heims they can put in the wheelie bars. I've always run the best. Blown pm 6 teens. Never had a failure of wheelie bar hemi .

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

Bars

Went From 85 inch dual to 69 inch single lomad style . I couldn't be happier...stiff, consistent, responsive and light. Also nicer in the shop and trailer.

4. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

If you broke a rod end and you have dual wheels you're gonna be worse off if you go to a single wheel. About 25%worse. Fix that problem first.

5. noiraude

noiraude Member

hi all!
    what tubing diameter and wall thickness are you all using?
    is it the same specs for 69in and 97in long bars,dual or single wheels?
    are they chrome moly?
    thanks for any input

6. overkill69

overkill69 Member

4130 1.5 and 1.375 .058 wall for my 69 inch single bar. They only move about .250 at the wheel.

7. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Quick question. What size heims were you using when they broke? 3/8 ? All wheelie bar heims have 1/2 bolts that bolt them to the housing. 3/8 were just too small.

8. noiraude

noiraude Member

thanks a lot for the infos!

9. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

40:1 = L : D UNspported in compression. FAA rule.
    tension is yield psi x (1/tan) of includud bar angle
    .5 rod end minimum
    damn was hiskool 45 years ago?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Thanx guys. I was more asking this question for the performance aspect of length. The the rod end that broke was a 5/8 rod end with the 1/2 inch hole. Where it sheared off it had some vague discoloring of rust which i think was just a part failure. Im gonna replace them all this winter.