What's the Price of Methanol these days?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Darren Smith, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

No one on here seems to be located around Central Florida. Like I said earlier, I am paying a lot more than most of you that posted. Does anyone know of a better, (less expensive) place for me to contact? For the $125 a drum difference to what I am now paying, I can afford to drive a while to get the better price!

2. hemi honey funny

hemi honey funny New Member

The Best Methanol

Hi Steve...this is Bear with Bunny & the Boys Race Team (you know who!) I'll vouch for you with out a doubt. Have used you for many years and I must say, I've never had one problem with your product. Take Care

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

$3 a gal from Univar today

4. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Hey Dave, I'm in Lakeland too, I can introduce you to my fuel guy, I am going on Saturday to fill my drum again, $185 for 55 gal Sunoco methanol, he will test it with a digital meter and show you the results before he pumps it. 99.98% (or more) purity :D

5. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I just found out from one of my Dirt track connections, there's a place in Phoenix called Speedway on Broadway. It's a wrecking yard owned by a Man named Phil Hertel, he'll refill your Drums for $125!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. mark6052

mark6052 Member

First prove VP is buying and inflating a generic methanol. second you're ok paying an inflated price for spark plugs used in a honda civic?:confused: and I will show anybody my cost sheet for fuel, and have. this is not a major money maker for me.

7. tad2155

tad2155 Member

alky

we have 110% proof alky shine here in Bama for $85 a gallon
    race it or drink it:D:p:eek:

GK

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Maybe not for you, but somewhere in the food chain.

Anyone have any direct dyno comparison figures to compare good quality generic compared to almost $400/drum stuff from up there?

Don't know if that means anything, but Daniel Oliver got cheap on us and bought a drum of alky for $180. Second round at Vegas we ran the generic alky and were #2 behind Jay in speed that session, pushing a tremendous head wind. We had the alky tested before we ran it and was shown to be fine.

Is someone is gouging someone?

RG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

If fuel passes the tests it should be near identical, no? We have always ran the stuff from Univar (was named something else years ago), never had a problem, always passed fuel check.

10. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Mike,

You gotta "spill your guts" and tell me where the "sprint car fuel guy" is!;)

That's a $1.00 a gallon cheaper than the shop on North '98 in Lakeland.:eek:

11. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

No problem Dave, I just came from there, was $187, he even has a couple empty drums, if you need one to get started with :D He said it was okay to give his number out, will send it in a PM.

12. mark6052

mark6052 Member

testing

unscientific as it may seem but I have had many different types of cars from blown div6 hitters to bracket racers do the same thing, the car was quicker and more consistant. there are some that tell me they saw no difference. :confused: personal preference. my point is this when you spend 40-80 dollars a set of sparkplugs, that is thrown away each pass. the difference on fuel, cheap-expensive, is only 10 dollars a run. Its the little things we like to complain about.;)

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

As long as you can justify what VP wants to charge/rape us in your mind is ok
    but i will continue to buy my $165 drums from Univar, or somewhere else if cheaper and the quality is there.

By the way, most all of the US's menthanol is made in Trinadad
    If i was to bet what you sell originated from there. Yes spark plug prices make me upset also, again i shop to where i get the most economical price on those also so i don't get raped on these also. Hard to believe the price differance between manufactures on plugs.

I am not slaming you just saying there are alternatives to most things out there if you have the time to shop for them, i do since, i fund my car out of my back pocket...

14. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Mark,

Ya gotta remember! ......... That $50 to $100 that I saved on a drum of Methanol because I shopped around a little, is what is going to pay for the $40 to $80 dollars worth of spark plugs that is going to get thrown away!:D

15. mark6052

mark6052 Member

with respect to all, I do realise the cost of racing. It all comes out of my back pocket as well. I learned long ago that I cannot make any money from VP. they are just to high a markup. that said, it seems to work well for those that use it. If you are satisfied with the results with what you use, so be it. Just dont be closed to trying other products. cheaper price maynot be the best answer. Its like cheap whiskey and women, you get what you pay for.;) whats the cheapest oil out there? anybody use the wal-mart special?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  16. Kathy Fisher

Kathy Fisher New Member

Paid $90.95 a drum...Finish Line Race Fuels, Tiffin, Ohio last week. That included state sales tax, too.

Also...$125 is the price right now for Competition Race Fuels...(formally Torco)!!

17. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

Québec city , $ 146.00 can = $ 116.00 us , ( no charge for the drum).

18. ITS IN MY BLOOD

I would like two drums please,..:cool:
    Oh,. I do live in Washington State though
    can you check on shipping to 98672,
    ..should be way less than the total cost of a $300 plus dollar can of alky that I could buy within 4 hours from me.

Vic Miller
    :D

19. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

That's unbelieveable! Less than $2 per gallon?

20. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

Just bought 2 drums of VP. Paid $200 a drum.