What's going on with fire suits?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by alt 6153, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sean Bellemeur

Sean Bellemeur Jr. Dragster

Design 500

I was pointed toward Design 500 Racewear back in 2007. They build the best -20 suit I've ever seen. Mine looks brand new and has a LOT of laps on it. Troy Green, Jim Murphy, Keeter Ray, amonst others wear these suits and love them. Very competitive prices, great product and customer service... go figure!

Contact James at 206-447-9860

Sean

2. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Sean, Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

3. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

I spoke with Dennis about this and he is working on a solution with Phoenix, he said he will let us know when something happens.

4. JJ Kumre

JJ Kumre Member

Simpson will recert a -20, did mine this year no problem, the suit was in good condition as I only race about 5 times a year.
    I would agree with Bellemeur however if you are gonna do new get a Design 500 great suit, made well, fitted well and you get treated right. I called when I wasn't sure if my Simpson was gonna get recerted and I was impressed in just the phone conversation...

5. Slayer

Slayer Member

Re-certed my -20 Simpson suit to a -20 a couple of months ago with no problem. They even have dry cleaning available. I was very happy with the sevice and they did it quickly too.

6. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Excellent. In the meantime, since mine is due for cert this winter, I spoke with Bruce at Phoenix this afternoon and I'm going to get it to him so he can cert it. Super nice guy, excellent quality suit, too bad the doors are shutting.

7. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

Where are Simpson suits re certified , I'm in England and my .20 needs re doing, friends are going back and forwards to the USA all the time and i'll get one of them to get it done while they're out there, if anyone's got an address that would be great

8. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

I looked up "Design 500 Racewear" and didn't get the feel that they made anything over a "5" suit!
    Admittedly, I didn't call and talk to anyone there. You said that you have a 20 suit from them. Are they still in the business of making 15 and 20 suits? It's odd that their site doesn't say that.

9. TAD529

TAD529 Member

Phoenix Apparel

Bruce is a great guy and really tried to take care of racers with service and quality products. He and his company will be missed. Why is it the good guys go out of business while some other less reputable suppliers remain? Too bad for us

10. Sean Bellemeur

Sean Bellemeur Jr. Dragster

I wear a Design 500 -20 funny car suit and love it. It's the best suit I've worn and the quality is unbelieveable.

11. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Is this who I need to talk to? - James at 206-447-9860

12. nitrodude

nitrodude Nostalgia Top Fuel

Simpson does recert appropriately !!!

There were some horror stories going around about Simpson NOT recerting -20 suits .

The reason some -20 suits would not pass a -20 recert , was because they were too old .

Simpson has upgraded thier product for more protection and -20 suits older than the date of upgrade will not go -20 anymore .

I believe , but don't hold me to it , 6 or 7 yrs old , is where the cut is .

I have had two -20 suits recerted this year , one was a 2004 , the other a 2005 .

The recerts take place at , Team Simpson
    1407 west 240th st
    Harbor City ,Ca 90710

Ask for Steve Johnson @ ext 102
    Nice guy , aims to please , and will do all he can for you.

dick gaylord

13. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

anyboy try a dj -20 suit.........i have a old heavy one are the newer ones less bulky:)

14. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

To everyone: Yes Phoenix Custom Apparel is shutting the doors. Bruce Bowler and I are working on a solution for the firesuits. We may be able to take over the recerts, and maybe more than that. Please don't panic as I will let you all know when this is resolved. If you have a question please feel free to call me to get a straight answer. Thank you.

Dennis Taylor
    President, Taylor Motorsports Products

800 320-2988

15. Eric David Bru

Did this have anything to do with when Simpson changed hands from Bill Simpson? IE: Old suits not recerted and new ones were?

EDB

16. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Thanks DT. I appreciate you clearing the water.

17. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Thanks DT. That will make a lot of people feel better. If you start building suits, you need to spread the word. I don't know anyone thats been unhappy with your products. :):):)

18. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Loyalty, It doesnt cost much.

TAD529- You hit the nail right on the head with this. As long as "racers" keep on supporting these " less than reputable" suppliers, these things will continue to go forwards. I find it very disheartening that a company like the one that made the illegal suits is still even allowed to participate in our sport, while guys like Bruce Bowler have to pull the plug on their operation because they cannot compete against companies that "give" their safety equipment away to the "PRO" drivers for free. The fact that these "PRO" drivers take and used products that are proven by the SFI to be substandard, undermines the whole system in regards to playing by the same set of rules. A friend once told me "Free SHIT" is still SHIT!

IN these tough economic times, it is nice to receive something at low or no cost. But if you choose to accept this type of product, you are supporting a company(IES) that DONOT have your best interest at heart, and this takes business away from the guys that DO care about us racers and our safety.

I feel passionate about this thread because when Simpson Race products would not re cert my 20 suit a few(5) years back, they could not and would not give me a reason why this was happening.

Its kind of ironic to me that, fast forward 5 years and the same thing happened with the Impact suits, I would bet that the same guy owned both companies that allowed this to happen.

The best thing for me that came out of all this dishonesty and straight up bull shit, is that I have had the opportunity to own 2 Phoenix Fire suits, and they are clearly nicer and safer that what I had previously owned, and most important I was able to help support a company the truely supports the racer.

Bottom line, Please support the guys that support us racers.

Soap Box put away.

19. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

hey dt........if ya start buildin suits , the que starts here,,,,,line up in a orderly fashen..........no pushin in:):):)

20. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

firesuits

sending my suit to simpson this week for recert. it may or may not go sfi20, from what ive seen the new suits are up to 1300 dollars more than what i paid for mine in 1999. what the hell? what are the dj, design 500, and others going for? they arent showing any prices online. ill either be very happy or very sad this week to see what is going to happen with this suit.:confused: