What to watch on weather Data

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Hinbest, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hinbest

Hinbest New Member

We run a supercharged BBC 1471, in a top dragster, only running 20% overdrive easy tune up at 6.50.

Just wondering what weather data we should focus on most and how it will effect it ? and how it will effect in bracket racing?

Vp?
    grains?

obviously DA, Temp, humidity, and Baro

any tips or observations?

2. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Most, DA for sure.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

data

water tends to slow down any car more than anything, so watch your grains of water, along with temperature, and I recommend purchasing an altimeter. You can get away with watching the baro pressure, but I've seen the altimeter change without the baro changing. It will also give you a better idea what to dial out of the box, and if you're running a multi day race, what to do if a front blows through.

Grains of water is better to watch than humidity because it's 'relative' humidity. Looking at my logbook from Foster's car, 53% relative humidity at 81 degrees is 81 grains of water while 54% humidity at 95 degrees is 129 grains. The air can hold more water as temperature increases. So dialing off relative humidity alone can be deceptive. However, when racing primarily same day events where you get a few runs to dial it in anyway, dialing off relative humidity can be pretty effective. With my old small block dragster, I could just about throw out the rest of the weather station and dial it off the humidity gauge.

That said, track temperature needs to be logged as well. If you're not running water in your block or heads, you need to monitor head temp and try to go to the line with the same head temp every time no different than you want the same water temp every time with a bracket car. I used to keep a close eye on trans fluid temp as well, and would dial the car up if it started to get warm from hot lapping.

Where you keep your weather station is just as important as the data it gives you. Personally I like to keep my weatherstation in the shade. Some of the trailer mount units are designed to work well outside of a shaded environment. More than anything it's important to keep it constant. With a handheld weather station, I think it's easier to get more consistent readings keeping it in the shade. If you leave them in direct sunlight, your reading tends to be affected by how long the station has been in the sun cooking.

You also want to keep your tires shaded/covered when possible. Many times when you're in the pit, one tire will be exposed; you need to keep it covered.

Keep very detailed records. That way after an event you can go back and look at everything to see if your car has any direct correlations to a particular weather reading or setting.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Will, your barometer must have been stuck. It is absolutely 100% impossible for an altimeter to change and a barometer not to change if they are both functioning. They both read atmospheric pressure the same way but just display it differently.

5. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

Possibly the difference is that an altimeter is always a precision made piece of kit as people rely on it whereas most barometers are designed for people to stick on the wall and tap occasionally if they are bored and as such they are not as accurate (unless you get an expensive one).

Going back to grains of water how do you measure this? As I understand it grains of water is a measure of absolute humidity (how much water is in a given volume of air) whereas a hygrometer measures relative humidity (how close to saturated the air is) - which is dependent on temperature and pressure as the ability of air to hold water increases with temperature and pressure. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity - though that is probably more likely to confuse :)

What you ultimately need is a consistent way to take readings from your available measuring devices and create a number you can use in your log books so you only have 1 variable to track not 3, and this number is an approximation of how much oxygen is in a given volume of air, usually expressed as an altitude. This altitude is the height above sea level that air of that quality would be found under normal atmospheric condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude - it is very important for pilots as it affects various aspects of a planes flight. Note the equation on that page uses dry air. http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php will give you a value for DA taking into account temperature, pressure, elevation and humidity. If you set your altimeter to 29.92 inHg (standard conditions) then just put the reading for altitude into the track elevation box you don't need to worry about knowing the raw track height.

6. Hinbest

Hinbest New Member

We currently run the permoraire by altronics, which is fully ntegrated with crew chief pro 7, we do run a solid motor and this new series i am in in qualify sat eliminate sunday quick32.ca for more info on that.

so we need to wake up sunday morning and predict the car.
    thats my main question what to watch that morning and how to ocmpare to staurdays what makes big chnages?