What is wrong with this pic?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Jezman, May 4, 2011.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This is a BBF the oil passage runs down the block from one lifter hole to another so the holes in the lifters are in the correct place for a Ford. It starts in the back passenger side and goes forward to the front then over to the front of the drivers side then to the back of the drivers side. The firing order is different on a Ford so this is the front cylinder on the drivers side (come guys ya never had a Ford, lol) not a Chebbie or a Mopar hemi firing order. If #5 (#1 on a Mopar hemi) starved for oil then 6, 7, & 8 would be toast.

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I'm not a Ford guy so please don't make fun of me. I'm not familiar with what the block, deck and heads look like.

Maybe someone already mentioned this. I didn't read all the posts.

Is it possible that there was some sort of side load on the lifter placed on the lifter because of the pushrod clearance ? Some versions of the forged hemi blocks depending on your combination required grinding/clearancing of the block for the pushrods between the deck and lifter bores to allow proper pushrod clearance otherwise the pushrods would hit the block and not drop properly into the lifters. You can drop them in with the heads on, but once the pushrods are properly in place on the rocker they would hit enough where you would screw up a bunch of stuff if you started it. A simple check would be to see if you have any witness marks up on the pushrod shaft and block, head and head gasket where the pushrod is expected to go through.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

RG

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

OK Randy, I won't make fun of ya. That is a good point. On our BBF Hemi I had to grind out a lot in the pushrod holes in the head so they didn't rub. I also had to grind away the block behind the lifter bar because they rubbed. Also had a problem with the block around some of the lifter bores was a little too high so the bar hit the block when the valve was fully closed. All those areas can cause unusual loading on the lifter and are all worth checking really close.

4. Moore

Moore New Member

I worked in hydraulic pump manufacturing for years and have looked at a lot of parts that looked like your lifters. The cause was related to two issues, not sufficient clearance or dry start up. Not sufficient assembly lube to carry the parts till the oil gets there. Just another .02 cents worth. Wish you luck!

5. Frank Kramer

Frank Kramer New Member

Do you have bronze bushings for the lifters???

I had the same thing on a eliminator Premier with A460 heads. Our block didn't have bronze bushings at that moment. Converted it to the bronze bushings and never had any failures on a Eliminator Block anymore. Seems that the Eliminator blocks are harder and probaly have more nikkel then the SVO A460 because on the SVO's we didn't have this problem. We had 3 Eliminator Premier's on our pulling tractor.

Frank

www.seasideaffair.com

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. Jezman

Jezman Member

This makes a great deal of sense for us, we are using the same block.
    We will look into this.

Thanks Frank

Jerzy

7. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

In our big chevies we had some look like this and it turned out that we had wore out the lifter bores and there was too much clearance, put bronze in to tighten up the clearance and we were back to good things. Maybe these bores were accidentaly made too large? just another idea...

8. 560Jim

560Jim Member

We had just the same look and problem from worn lifter bores. Went to the next size up lifter and had the block machined to suit and problem solved.
    Jim

9. camcoracing

camcoracing Member

lifter breakage

Id look at another whole different direction from an oiling problem . check pushrod clearance in the cylinder head as it nears mid to full lift. I knoew from experience that this is an issure with most cylinder heads .Interference with the pushrod and head leads to loads on the pushrod and causes deflection often resulting in lifter failure. Also as been mentioned check lifter bar to lifter boss interference when the lifter is at rest and one side is at full lift

10. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

I dont know if this will help but our hemi done the same thing when we first fired it this year and all we changed is the fact that i was too lazy to go get the prelube off the shelf for the lifters and used the light 30wt oil i use for the pistons on the lifters and it must have ran off in the days before we started it because it locked some up just like these pictures this was the only time i have had these problems and when i used the correct lube all was fine