What is the cause of this?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sune, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Moparious Maximus

Looking at picture #6, those two plugs look like they may be at two different heat ranges.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Different heat ranges of plugs still project out the same distance out the end of the plug. What makes the difference in heat range is where the porcelein inside attaches to the outer metal jacket of the plug. Cold heat ranges attache closer to the metal at the top of the plug jacket and hotter heat range attach further down inside the plug. The only thing that changes the projection of the tip is if it is an extended tip or a normal tip in the same brand/model plug.

3. Micetich

Micetich Member

How much plug gap are you running? Have fixed a lot of rod kicking Nitro Coupes by lowering gap to .011-.012. Wide gap under compression makes it easier to fire another cylinder before its time. It will spit a rod out every time, usually on burnout or hit of the throttle.

4. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

you said the fuel system calls for a 180 jet and you put in a 125 jet. The question i have is what was the corrected alt. ..... and what jet did the fuel system call for? i have never seen a fuel system call for a 180 jet.

5. sune

sune Member

They are indeed old plugs. They are all one run TF plugs that we used for warmup, setting idle etc in the pits.

About the main, yes i thought it odd too, that it called for a 180 main, When we know that this setup usualy uses around a 130 main. This is also the reason that we didn't use the 180. Yes it was at corrected alt. But i again I am in serious doubt about this. it just seemed way off to me. I will run the numbers again and see what i get. could be something stupid as a typo or something.

We ran the plugs at .016

6. sune

sune Member

@ Mike if it went lean as you suggest wouldn't i be able to see brunt pistons, valves etc?
    The other pistons crowns look like new

Regard timing what is a sensible starting point on an engine like mine?

It has been suggested to me that we might have hydraulic'ed the engine, we have talked about this, but i am no expert so i don't know, i thought running a 44 pretty much guarantied that the mix would fire.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

problems

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is usually the most correct one....

Running a blown motor with a K valve at anything less than wide open throttle is usually a good way to tear stuff up.

If there were rod bolts virtually un harmed in the pan, they may have backed out.

I'm not saying you left something un torqued, but the torque wrench could be off, could have used the wrong oil on the threads, a number of variables. The only real way to know the rods are in properly 'torqued' is to stretch check the rod bolts.

One of the pictures shows an upper rod bearing that has been closed up so much it won't fit the rod, which is a sign of detonation.

More than likely it beat itself up not running at full throttle.

Just try to learn as many lessons as you can, and double triple check everything next time.

If you are trying to get used to the car, just take it as far as you are comfortable under full power then shut it off. Typically a car that is lazy is harder to drive than one that gets on the tire like it is supposed to. Reason would make you think you could just ease into it, but that's usually not the case.

I would also have the fuel system flowed by a reputable 'guru'. It is well worth the money.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sune, detonation over a period of time during a run can cause burnt pistons and valves and things like that but extreme detonation all at once will just destroy things instanously.

9. Iron Mike

Iron Mike New Member

no expert here (just dumb electrician)

if your plugs were closed up there would be no gap for the 44 to jump so it could hydrolic.
    But looking at pics the plug that is closed up i would suggest might have been caused when the piston hit it after it went booom.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have had dead cylinders on blown alcohol motors due to plug wires coming off, a cracked plug or other reasons and as long as that motor is spinning and pumping out the cylinders I have never hydro locked one. If the motor is not running and a cylinder is full of water or alcohol and the motor is spun over then that is a different story.

11. Brian@GRP

Brian@GRP New Member

What RPM have you been running? Looks to me like too much RPM with what looks like a heavy rod, piston and probably wrist pin. What happens is the heavy components at high RPM will tug on the bolts on the down stroke and fatigue the aluminum threads in the rod and they will pull out like a Helicoil. Look for the threads pulled out of the rod and for movement and embeding of the bolt, washer and cap interface. Fuel cars need these heavy components but don't see the RPM that most alcohol cars see. If you want to send me the parts I would be glad to give you my opinion. Or call me at 303-935-7565.

Thanks
    Brian Scollon
    GRP Connecting Rods

12. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Just a thought , if there wasnt enough grounding to the motor / chassis , the plugs would crack and drop the cylinders.
    Could this affect things ?

13. Brian@GRP

Brian@GRP New Member

After going back and looking at the extra pictures it sure looks like it spun a bearing. Specifically looking at the crank journal and a couple of the bearing pictures. What is the thickness of the bearing out of the broken rod? Might have to straighten it out to measure but it looks like the soft bearing material is gone.

Brian
    GRP Connecting Rods

14. sune

sune Member

The Heads are each grounded to the same point as the mag. with propper sized wire

Regarding rpm. I am fairly sure it didn't go crazy, as i have 2 warning light and neither went off. But unfortunately i don't have a datalogger. Planning to get one tho.

@ Brian

You may be on to something. After reading you post last night i went and looked at the bearing pieces again.
    The 2 pieces that are really mangled may have spun, I am not certain as it is hard to tell because they are so busted up and folded over onto themselves.
    One thing i did see after looking at them closer was that they seem to be wider than the normal bearings, if there is bearing material left on one side is hard to tell. wether they spun or not. That is also hard to tell.

Yes I would very much like you opinion on them. If you would be so kind. I will need a shipping address. Feel free to pm me, email me or post it here whichever you feel like. Here is my email: grauen@gmail.com

Thank you all for taking time to comment here.

PS The Short block is almost sorted, I ended up putting in new rods, 3 new pistons, new crank, new cam, and one new sleeve. Next up is the heads need to check all the valves etc etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  15. bandit496

bandit496 Member

Not being smart or anything and I know all about enough money to race, been there and done that with three blown motors in one short season, but...if you just had a whole motor destroyed, why would you not put all new pistons in with the rods and crank instead of only three new ones? I don't think I would trust anything out of the blown up one. JW

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Parts- New vs Used

One point that sort of came up was that this was a motor put together out of used fuel parts? Just because parts are new to 'you' that doesn't make them "new'. I have friends who buy used parts and put motors together and then are amazed that it breaks. Rods, cranks, pistons, blocks and even heads have a life expectancy. There is a time when the stuff is just used up and fuel stuff reachs that point even sooner than alcohol parts. Another issue is rods from a fuel motor are different than rods for a alcohol motor. Nitro motors see more compression forces pushing down on the rod so they are heavier than alcohol rods. But alcohol motors seen much higher RPM so the stretch factors on the rod is much higher. If your rod is heavy then you increase the stretch factors greatly. The guys at GRP could probably explain this better than I could. I really hate to say this but used fuel parts aren't any kind of a bargain no matter how cheap they are. And unfortunately some used parts aren't ever worth trying to use- rods especially and most anything that has been through an explosion already. That motor went from a lot of RPM to none in a very violent manner, don't trust anything in the rotating assembly again. Dave Germain