What Happens in TF

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by nitrohawk, Feb 16, 2005.

1. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Shat happens in TF & TFFC if they happen to run to fast using the rev limiter that has been mandated by NHRA. Do they get disqualified?

2. ITS IN MY BLOOD

thats funny..too fast :rolleyes:
    what really sounds funny is a 4.50 index in top fuel and a 4.70 index for funny cars.
    dont go faster than that or your disqaulified.
    or if you do qaulify quicker than the index, you get that tagged on to your timing system at the tree.. under/ over..BS.....LMAO. :D .TOO FAST

3. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Lets see, They dictate the rear tire, gear ratio and now max rpms, It doesn't take a genius to figure that they will keep knocking the rpms down to regulate top speed. How long do you think it will be before rev limiters are seen in other classes? :rolleyes: Is this is their way of buying time for tire development? Or?

[ February 16, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: rpmhiperf ]

4. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

Whats going to happen when the engine gets up on the rev limiter? I can see a big fireball coming.

5. ITS IN MY BLOOD

up on the rev limiter...
    b b b b b BOOOOOOMMMMM !!!!!!!! :eek:

6. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I wonder what kind of RPM's Tony Shoe was turning on that 334???

7. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I guess if you are slipping the rear tires in the lights listen for the explosion! Top fuel used to be a class of inovators. Thats how it got where their at today. Now you can't change any major engine components. Wonder how Brad Anderson & Allen Johnson feel about all this? They made their fortune thinking out of the box and makeing stronger and better parts. It surprises me that they can use electronic timers since that is a definate improvement. To bad they want let the TAD's use them. Or even let us use the msd digital
    retard.

8. Dean Adams

As I understand it, this won't be a true rev limiter as we would normally think of it, but a modification to the magneto that would automatically retard it's timing should the RPM exceed some set number. I wonder, did NHRA come up with this one or the TF & FC Crew Chiefs? I suspect the latter.

9. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

"I wonder what kind of RPM's Tony Shoe was turning on that 334??? "

My calc has it running 8760

with a 41" tire, 334 mph, and a 3.20 gear

10. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Retarding the mag at 1100-1200 feet want slow these cars down. You prob. could turn the kill switch off and they would keep running at that point.

11. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

I know it's differant today with the fuel volumes that are run. But I can remember watching TF cars shaking {Connie Kalitta was one of them} hard enough to physically knock the coil right off the car. It would keep on trucking like nothing happened. :eek:

12. Dean Adams

I agree that it will have little to no effect, unless it malfunctions and initiates early in the run. Just the idea of a rev limiting device like this on a TF or FC, whether it's effective or not, is bad.

13. big wheel

big wheel New Member

i dont belive the crew cheifs are as upset about the new ignitions as some of you , I run and am running digital 7 & 8 series msd boxes with psi hemi and its been flawless with alcohol & iwill mind you nitro is a differnt ball game i have pesonal contact with a top 4 team at pamona and they were very happy with new boxes they are more concerned over the tire issue.

14. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

my question regarding the tires is
    how many more crashes will happen before they

1. make a better tire to withstand the speeds and downforce applied to them

2. goodyear says enough, slow them down or we are done

15. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

So far every time NHRA makes a new rule to try and slow the pro fuel cars down it has not worked.
    Seems as though the crew chiefs and technogoly have quickly overcome the new limits emposed on them. When they have exhausted their other ideas guess we will change the 1320 to 1000 ft. or maybe even 660 as they are running over 270 now at the 1/8 mile!!!!

16. Kev N

Kev N New Member

Question from an ignorant bystander:

How come when the sanctioning bodies want to control the speeds/ets of the Blown Alcohol cars (as in TADs/TAFCs or Pro Mods) they adjust place limits on the power making device, the blower (type and Drive speed). It seems like to control a fuel car, you would use a similar approach. Control the power maker, the fuel pump. Is there a reason why not? why mess with ignition black boxes, aero junk and percentages of nitro?

Just a curious what everyones thoughts are, flame away.

[ February 17, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Kev N ]

17. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

You got a point there about the fuel pump. You could possibly get around it with bigger nozzles
    though if they limited the pump.

18. Hemi Parts

Hemi Parts Top Fuel

Just for the sake of setting the record straight, the device is not necessarily a rev limiter. It is a timing retard device. There IS a difference.

19. was R4K

was R4K Member