welder?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by d jackson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. d jackson

d jackson New Member

does anyone use or keep a small welder like the miller max star (tig/stick) (lite weight)-(14 pounds -150 amp) on there trailor just for small repairs while at the track
    just to see what kind of input on this small welder or what everone else mite use

2. craig moss

craig moss Member

I have one in the shop its a 220v 180 amp its about 6"-12"-14" works great. If welding thick alum. you must preheat the part. For small material it is great! The only drawback is I suck. The metal and stainless side of it works good as well.When we get a trailer its going in it for sure.:cool:

3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Welder

I was going to put a welder in my trailer but usually if you find a small crack in your chassis its not the only one. I am of the opinion that if you chassis is cracked you should do a complete chassis inspection and that should be done in a shop with good lighting etc.

Just my opinion
    Corey

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Welders at the track.

I know two guys who bring welders everywhere they go. One has a standard size the other have that portable Miller deal.. They are some of the most popular guys at the track because it isn't always the chassis. I've seen everything from oil pans and tins to trailer hitches and parts being repaired.

5. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Dynasty

We take our Miller Dynasty 200 with us. 110 volts off our Onan 6500 can weld on AC (aluminum) up to 150 amps. Also just using an air cooled torch.

Mark

6. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Mark Why don,t you run on 220v when you use the generator I put a dedicated plug in the trailer and a long extension then you can run it up to the max. Mike

7. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

We have been going to do that for 3 years now mike!..LOL.

Do You keep Hot gas with you Mike?

8. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Plenty Mark any time you need it also have metric cresant wrench for the hot gas bottle. Mike

9. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

yes we always keep one on board. at my shop we do alot of welding i have a miller syncro 250 and a 350 as for the trailer I got one of the and dont laugh tig welders for $199 at harbor frg. and that little guy is a welding dude..down side its a scratch arc other than that its great..Dave

10. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We always have our little welding on board as well. Don't have it set up for welding aluminum, but it welds chromoly like a dream. 220V Chicago Electric scratch arc deal, think you can pick them up at harbor freight pretty cheap like Dave said. We also carry a box of small lengths of chromoly incase we need to slip one inside or over a cracked or diagonal or something.

I'm not sure how we survived before without one, it's saved our butts a few times (header repairs, escape hatch handle, chassis cracks, broken off dzus tabs, body tree repairs, etc, etc), as well as many other racers...on that note it's good for some gas money if someone needs a major repair lol...

11. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since we are talking welders, I have a Miller Syncrowave 180SD for sale for $1000....perfect condition - includes foot pedal, gas diffuser cups and and I also added a pulser unit. Bought new at PRI Indy 2003....replaced it with a new Dynasty 200, so I do not need 2 welders.....a little big for the trailer....better for shop use....photos available upon request at sgaulter (at sign) specialtygraphics.com or call Scott Gaulter 515-727-1444 (est 11) or 515-314-7015 cell or 515-987-4900 home

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  12. secondwindracing

Nathan you are sooooo rite:) I have used mine so much and very smart as in carring some molly tubing..if I was to charge at the track for everytime someone needs it I would make more than I do racing:eek:..Dave

13. d jackson

d jackson New Member

welder input

thanks guys
    just wanted to see what you think about the little portable welders for the trailor for small quick repairs such as wheelie bars ?oil pans/headers and such
    thanks again
    dale jackson

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

I have the same unit (but a newer one), paid $1200.00 for it, but it was the best 1200 I've ever spent. That's a great deal for a $1000.00

15. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

welder

After having to borrow other guy's welders or pay to have them weld stuff for me over the years I bought a miller econotig. Nice little machine, does everything including aluminum. One the other hand it's like clean underwear- your mom told you to wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a car so you did and shazzaaammm you never got run over. Well, I got my own welder and haven't used it for my car since. Dave Germain

16. secondwindracing

ooooh Dave, now you will be hexed:eek::)..dave

17. d jackson

d jackson New Member

welder input

well ?
    bought one yesterday from round /round racer
    miller max star 140 str looks brand new
    this person didnt know how to opperate it
    came with tig torch/tank gauges/stick welding lead/carry case and smaller bottle half full argon
    any input on this brand /style welder
    dale jackson