water grans

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fastfiat, Aug 30, 2011.

1. A/FUEL392

A/FUEL392 New Member

Kesler at the track is the best.

2. 632viva

632viva New Member

ok - this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between humidity and the # of water grains, or are they the same thing?

3. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

humidity vs. water grains

Humidity is volume based. Water grains are mass (weight) based. Both should work for tuning. Water grains are calculated from humidity measurements.

More on this and their effect on horsepower in the Motorsports Standard Atmosphere book that we carry.

Bob Szabo
    www.racecarbook.com
    (916) 419 6649

4. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

Water grains is a measurement of ABSOLUTE humidity, which I think is more accurate description of water vapor in the air than relative humidity.

For example relative humidity reflects the relative amount of water that air can hold at a given temperature. Change the temperature and the humidity will change even if net amount of moisture in the air remains the same. In fact a 1ºF change in temperature can change the relative humidity by 2%. If outside air at 85ºF and 60% RH is cooled to 72 degrees without any moisture removal, the RH will increase to almost 90%

1 pound of water= 7,000 grains

absolute humidity (specific humidity)--amount of water vapor in the air (absolute uses weight per volume of air)

capacity of air to hold moisture depends on temperature so its capacity varies

WATER VAPOR
    CAPACITY TABLE
    per one cubic foot of air

temperature grains
    30 1.9
    40 2.9
    50 4.1
    60 5.7
    70 8.0
    80 10.9
    90 14.7
    100 19.7

Relative Humidity--ratio of amount--percent

RH = (amount of water vapor the air has/what could have) x 100 = RH

OR

RH = (has/could have) x 100

example: temperature 70°F; has 2 grains of water vapor

reading from the table, the capacity is 8
    so

(2/8) x 100 = .25 x 100 = 25% RH

This was copied from a website. I don't know. It is not from me.
    I will tell you 100% that water grains over 100 affects et way more than humidity raising and lowering. High humidity with lower grains is no big deal. Lower humidity with high grains is. Can both happen: Hell, I am not interested in reviewing the logbook right now.
    Wags

5. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

The second paragraph makes sense.
    Never had that question pop up before.
    Wags

6. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

Hmmm... no one finds this interesting? Or wants to argue the point?
    Wags

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not sure I understand your above statement.

at 70* with 90% humidity you have 100 grains of water
    at 80* with 68% humidity you have 100 grains of water
    at 90* with 49% humidity you have 100 grains of water
    at 100* with 38% humidity you have 100 grains of water
    at 110* with 28% humidity you have 100 grains of water

Below 68* even with 100% humidity you can't have 100 grains of water

It is not just the humidity it is the temp also. Bothy temp and RH are part of the formula. Also your motor does not abruptly lose power at 100 grains of water. It is a curve that starts with small loses and increases as the water grains increase.

8. aj481x

aj481x Member

Grains of water is just a count of the number of grains in a pound of air. Temp. doesn't matter. Relative humidity is how much water is in the air vs. what is the maximum it could hold at that temperature.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Temperature combined with relative humidity results in how much water molecules can be held in the air. Temperature is part of the formula for computing water grains. Yes it does matter. If you have Jetsize then play with the temps and humidity and watch the water grains change.
    -

10. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

I was just thinking water grains is a real number. The air coming into my engine is a real number. RH is a calculated number. This is why when we had 85% humidity the boat could run x number or x number + or -. Because RH is calculated. Higher temp, same amount of water grains= less RH. The grains per cu ft was the same, therby displacing x amount of "air".
    It did not change .1 et at 101 gr and quicker under that... we just found (for our application) RH was pissing in the wind way more than water grains. (now it makes sense why)
    Now, with that being said... It is entirely I possible/ probable I am missing something and it just seems to work out this way. Beats me. I just found the explanation and found it interesting, so I posted it.
    Wags

11. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

Either I misread the explanation by guy x, or you did. I thought temp effected how much water (measured in grains) air COULD hold. And RH was a percent based upon how much water the air could hold vs what it was holding. Not the other way around...
    Put another way... water grains is a real number measured. If we took 1 cu ft of air and wrung it out it would drop out x grains of water. So, water grains is torque... RH is horsepower (a calculated number).
    Anyway.. its late I may be wrong.
    Wags