Understanding a 44 Mag

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Critical Mass, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

I'm trying to better understand the MSD 44 Mag. Here are few questions I have:

1. Is the correct timing position of the rotor right before it "clicks" over to the next terminal?
    2. When the "click" occurs does this signal the box to initiated the spark?
    3. Is the internal spark signal from the generator bypassed when a crank trigger is used?

Thanks, Joe

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

1. The correct initial static timing point is with the rotor turned by hand as hard as you can turn it and the rotor pointed at number one post. You really have to crank it hard. So if you turn the motor in the direction of rotation until you align the degree wheel with the degree number say 26*, then have the rotor pointed at #1 post when you turn the rotor against the diretion of rotation. If it is a wide end tip rotor then have it so the leading edge is just aligned with the #1 post, if it is a pointed rotor then at the #1 post.

2. Don't understand your "click". Explain more.

3. Yes, it is bypasses and the crank trigger supplies the signal to the Electronic Points Box

3. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

I had someone else ask about the click when turning the engine with a bar and I was confused LOL I think the click you are talking about is just the generator magnets pushing the mag past as you turn it slow,

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I agree that you hear the slack in the mag generator drive hit when the magnets pull it around but I have never used it for anything.

5. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

GTPerf, yes I believe you are right the click I'm referring to is that faster rotor movement when the magnets pull the pointer to the next terminal. My question is at what rotor position is the spark initiated?

Mike, some people use this noise/slack to help set their valves; including myself. Once they hear the noise they go to the next 90* mark on the degree wheel.

I am using the large mag cap which can be adjusted by three slots under the rotor drive disk for phasing in the mag. I'm trying to phase the mag with the crank trigger. I guess the only way to do this correctly is with a hole through the cap in line with #1 terminal? You would think MSD would of put a hole right in line with the pointer on one of the terminals that could be used for #1. The only access holes I see is between the terminals?

Thanks, Joe

6. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

cap

Drill one in a used cap. Don

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

There are several ways to do and observe the rotor phasing but nothing better than carefully drilling a hole in a cap and making it larger with a Dremel tool. I paint a white dot on the cap and the rotor so I can see where I want them to line up. It is the most positive way of doing it.

8. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Set up Cap

Years ago I bought a set-up cap from MSD. It has the hole for #1 terminal so you can see the rotor. It has a spark plug wire and a grounding wire that is soldered in. I use it anytime the mag is pulled from the motor to set things up. Works great. Dave Germain

9. Morris Racing

Morris Racing New Member

44 Mag

If you set it up by rotor phasing you may not have enough charge "time" for the points box/coil. you need to use the Mag trigger to set the timing where you want it then change it over to the crank trigger and set it to match it. They need to be within 3-4 degrees of each other.

10. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

why is it that people have to use the switch to toggle between the mag and the crank trigger? I have seen some a car that wouldnt start, they flipped the switch and it fired right up.

11. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

rb0804, the crank trigger box doesn't get enough signal at normal starter cranking speeds to start the motor. Some people use a 16 volt battery to crank the motor faster; others use two 12 volt batteries and hit the starter with 24 volts and then switch back to 12 volts once it starts. I use the Leahy Trigger/Gen crossover relay that lets the mag start the motor then it switches over to the crank trigger automatically, no manual switching. It works great.
    Joe