Two-steps Bad/Good

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Comax Racing, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Is two-stepping an alcohol blower motor ok or not????? I know loaded question. What is the opinion of the experts. I can do in mechanically to hold my rpm. Or I can two step. Two steps hammer bearings,(right) help???

Corey

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Two Stepping blown alcohol motors is great. There are a heck of a lot of promods that do it. When we first started doing it we didn't bleed off any fuel so we had some problems but that was years ago. If you use a NOS nitro\alky solenoid with a 80-125 jet in it to bypass fuel while on the Two Step then all is well. Some use a throttle limiter also but I think that is not necessary and also stops you from making boost while staging. You want to make boost while staging.

3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Two Step

That was my second question, will I step on my dick??

Corey

4. badbird

badbird New Member

Heard lots of scarey stories and seen the videos about two stepping a blower motor,

We also do it all the time and never had any related failers at all, no bearing issues,
    no broken belts, nothing,
    As Mike says just a two step without any throttle stops ect is the way to go,

5. blownapex

blownapex Member

2 step and automatic

what about 2 step and automatic
    do you need a throttle controller for that
    112% psi c pro mod lenco drive 5:13 1.38 1st gear
    34.5 goodyear tire 110 rollout
    coans latest converter
    should i just kill it with timing and fuel and no
    throttle controller (just 2 step it)
    what about a lean out on the 2 step
    thanks for any advice
    duane

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have never run a Two Step with an automatic. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell you. It would seem to me that just a Two Step at the right RPM would keep it off the converter and yes you still need a fuel bypass so you can control the amount of fuel going into the motor. You want those EGTs to be around an average of 600 to 625* when on the Two Step. Too much fuel will cool them down too much and the cylinders will take too long to recover.

7. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

2-Step works great with converter cars also. Have many customers that use them with a coverter, and no problems at all.

8. Danny Humphreys

2 step w/ auto

I use a 2 step with my lencodrive in conjunction with an air throttle. Open throttle about 1/4 way and 3700 chip w/ no bleed off. I have a friend who does his with throttle wide open wih a bleedoff. If I was doing WOT, I'd probably use a bleed off, but with BV only open 1/4, don't have a prob

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I would have to agree with Danny if you are a 10.5 tire and can't take all the boost right on the hit

10. JP

JP Member

I was doing a brad 5 ,525 cuin with a 14-71 kobelco , it was about 12gpm at 8000 , we weren't bypassing fuel at the two step but as mike said it did take .4seg for the cylinders to recover....however we changed to a screw psi 90% and hat a very rich system 15.8gpm so far we had two cylinders brake the gasket and torch the head at leaving the starting line.

If only this question had been aasked two weeks ago I could hae realized that it was just too much fuel at staging.

thanks guys!

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

automatic

I wouldn't recommend the 2step at wide open throttle with a converter. You have so much torque as it is at 3500 or so with the boost from having the blades just cracked, much less throwing all that extra power/boost/torque with the blades wide open. I'm sure theres people that do it, but it's just that much more power to get rid of.

Like Danny mentioned, the hot set up with auto is to either have a two stage pedal or air throttle to set the blades slightly above the desired rpm, then chip it to the desired launch. This way you always leave on the same throttle/barrel valve position.

I've got a question for those who are two stepping with screws. Have you done a real honest back to back with a two step set up and a set up for swapping feet? I have very little exp with this, but it seems you would definitely have to run more static with the two step to keep the motor from running away from the clutch with the extra boost. Not to mention the motor is going to react quicker by dropping a button versus the motion to go to full throttle from part throttle.

Aren't Scruggs and Hernandez still leaving off the old school foot swap? Wonder what Manzo has the Shiek doing?

If you can get the extra boost to the ground, I can see the advantages.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes when on a Two Step you need more static in the clutch because youhave the blower making more boost right when the clutch is released. A Two Step allows for a lot of consistancy and not all racers can swap feet with consistency. I can't remember if Hernandez uses a Two Step or not. I believe I have seen Scruggs up on a Two Step

13. JRB

JRB Guest

Josh and Jason both swap feet. FYI.

I think a 2 step is better for the entire package in a car. The hardest thing to chase is a clutch when swapping feet. I'd much rather use a 2 step as well because you will NEVER get hung out with one. We have all seen it happen. Sure, swapping feet is great as well, but not too many guys do it perfect 100% of the time! I give the guys that can do it a hell of a pat on the back.

And as far as air throttle vs. 2 step on a converter car, the 2 step is much more consistent. No adjustments on the controller (altitude effects the launch rpm), and not having to worry about an air bottle leaking and causing the controller not to work right. And yes, I've seen both bite guys just this year alone.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

air throttle

Jason,

I see your points re: air throttle. What I was talking about is, say your target launch is between 3500-4000. Set the air throttle to go to 4300-4500. Use the chip to keep it down around 3500. That way you always have enough travel to get to your desired launch. You can compensate with BV to get your fuel where you want it.

We used a two stage pedal on the FC I drove and then you have guys like John Anderika with his Lencodrive, he just brings the motor up until he hears it start chipping against the two step.

15. Scouder

Scouder New Member

Exactly my plan. Essentially another way to skin the fuel reduction cat. Either a solenoid to bleed off the fuel at full throttle on the two step, or an air throttle to keep it from going to full throttle on the two step. The only question is if Mr. Canter is right, and the full throttle solution launches harder than the part-throttle, can a person live with that?

-Scouder

16. KennyKeller

KennyKeller New Member

This is exactly how we run or car with lencodrive. Works great and no problems.I don't think we could stand the extra boost on the launch at WOT.

17. KennyKeller

KennyKeller New Member

Hey Duane
    Too much timing and fuel will kill it every time.

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Just as a warning from my own experience. Some air operated throttles are real dangerous because they can go wide open if you let up just a little on the clutch to position the car while staging. Stop and think about that air cylinder on that throttle armed and waiting for the clutch switch release command. We were testing and the car rolled forward so we wanted to back the car up and re-stage. The car would not roll back in reverse so a procedure is to let up on the clutch a little to help it. That is the same as pulling the trigger on a gun. We hold the 60ft record in reverse. I managed to roll off the rear fender and thank god that nobody else or a car was behind us. The other problem with some of the air throttles is you can't snap the blades open to squirt in alcohol to start the car. I think air operated throttles are real dangerous. I have an air operated throttle system complete and nearly brand new. Used just once all for just $100.

19. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

Jason Hamstra, Alex Hossler, and Chuck Ulsch all have two steps on their screw blown, converter cars. All have C rotors, at high overdrives, and have suspension. They don't seem to have a problem with too much torque when they leave on their two steps at WOT.

20. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

Hi guys, i have to agree with Mike on the activation of the air throttle. I run a glide, with a pro-brake. I had to put a on/off switch between button and air-solenoid. After burn-out and backing, using the brake button. I would then turn on the switch to the air-soleniod. That switch stays off until I am ready to pull into the lights. I love the information you guys share.