Turning the computer on at the last second

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Mar 16, 2009.

1. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Mine's on the dash next to the tach, when I pre-stage I turn it on. We've had a Racepak for 10 yrs. now and have never had a problem with the switch getting bumped. Also if it's in the car and someone takes too long backing up, turn it off and then flip it back on when all parties are ready. I feel it should def. be a function of the driver, always thought crew members turning it on, hanging onto the parachutes or wing struts was a horrible idea.

Brandon

2. Rodney O. Trower

Rodney O. Trower New Member

Will,

If the deal is going to get somebody hurt or worse. NOW is the time to do something like a rule change...... Nobody is going to stop racing if a simple rule is put into place....We sand drag race and once you leave the hot box.(a pre stage area) If anybody touches your car for any reason you are disqualified. And by the way Nobody stands behind an 8000 HP 100% Nitro burning sand car.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

rule

Technically, the rule is in place, or at least how I understand it. I don't think anyone is supposed to touch the car after it's prestaged, but that's obviously not enforced.

4. MoreiraMotorsports

Ya I Will I watch these guys, and think about the rule of not touching the car after its staged. Nhra must not be too worried about it, but what I have learned with my short time on this earth is that anything can happen with one of these monsters. I feel that it should be the drivers responsibility, and no one, except the good lord above should have his hands on the car when staging. This problem ranks right up there with the pro stock guys having a crew guy stand right by the car to line them out for the burnout as the car wizzes by, at who knows what speed. Sorry to rant on, but this subject kinda burns me up.

5. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I especiallly liked the track a couple years ago, where they allowed the crew guys to HOLD the car (side to side like the 60's). There was something weird on the burnout pad, so they let the crews hold the cars. WOW. what a lawsuit waiting to happen.

6. MoreiraMotorsports

Oh I know I remember seeing that, and thinking wow this a whole boat load of bad ideas. Oh well they are just asking for an axle to break, or the car trys to hook on one side or the other, someone will get mowed over, and there will be a new rule. Trial by era I guess (DUMB). Maybe these guys can just move faster than I can, I am gettin old. If I see any of my crew guys getting that close to the car, I will just have to shut the car off, and have a little meeting right there on the starting line.:)

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Pro Mod

I saw a lot of crews holding Pro Mod cars at the ADRL race in Houston, mainly the nitrous cars, but still...trying to make the cars do a straight burnout.

8. Rodney O. Trower

Give the crew skateboards and we will see it on the evening news.

9. Rodney O. Trower

dumb idea??? that was the point.

10. eli

eli Banned

Aren't there 1 or 2 guys from each division that report back to NHRA about things like this? why don't you have a vote on this and ask NHRA to implement a rule that the driver has to turn on the computer, as the car is backing up the guy backing him up can give a signal to turn on th switch.its not brain surgery :rolleyes:

11. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Like Will said there is already a rule that you do not touch a car after it is prestaged. On fuel dragsters there are a few things that need attention from the crew and crewchief after the burnout. However they are done before prestaging. The driver does not move the car forward to stage until the crew chief motions him to do so. I guess they enforce the rules they want to.
    Bob Holley

12. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I don't feel that it has to be a function of the driver, there just needs to be a higher level of common sense used. The car backs up from the burnout, then rolls ahead slightly to show the crew it is now in forward gear, when both cars are headed for pre-stage go hit the switch. Done. No need to be fancy.

13. Clutch Maggot

Clutch Maggot New Member

We turn ours on as soon as the car starts then no one has to worry about being in the way.:D