Tuning opinions

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by PROMOD63, Apr 2, 2009.

1. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

2. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

My opinion is,spin the blower 35to40% over.Stipping the blower will help but is negligible.540 ci could use some overdrive,especialy 1/8 mile racing.

3. James D

James D New Member

Before you start leaning the motor, putting more OD to it or having it restripped consider my recent experience.

We we ran 1471 hi helix @ 29 over made 22lbs at launch 5,200 rpm

At 6,000 boost slowly rose to 24-26 lbs and then flat lined and didn't increase anymore with rpm.

Driver said car was going dead fat and breaking up after 6k

Turns out that the gasket underneath our retro plate had partially blown out. The two surfaces could hold only so much boost before it would vent itself. Of course we couldn't see any evidence of it doing it ;as you needed to make over 20 lbs to make it leak. Only found the problem when we removed the blower for another reason.

Do I get a prize if I'm right?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's why I asked him to take the belt off a spin the blower by hand to see how much resistance there is. If it is tight then a leaky gasket is possible. If no resistance then re-stripe. But no answer back. So would't I get the prize????

5. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

Update

the car went 4.20 flat without changing anything it made about 24lbs of boost at 8000 rpm

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

OK you are still not making much boost. The difference in the amount of boost can be contributed some to the change in barometric pressure from the last time you ran. Is this at 8000 in high gear and is this the same point in which you measured it and got 20 lbs at the start of this whole post?

Have you taken off the blower belt yet and spun the blower by hand to see how much resistance you feel? You should feel a fair amount of resistance when you do this plus there should be no real tight areas. It should be uniform in resitance for a full 360*.

7. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

I will

The corrected altitude was about the same as before i have not spun blower yet but i will asap and let ya know i have a question about shut down the screw blower deal i ran before i pulled the fuel and shut the mag after the motor came up guys told me if i do this with the littlefield it will damage the strips any body have idea if this is true or not

8. James D

James D New Member

Mike, yours was infered mine was exact :p

Also have seen the air fitting for the boost line crack and vent that way as well.

Mike I'm going to the dark side (hemi) and will need some info on part selection. check pm this week, thanks.

9. mikentracy718fc

mikentracy718fc New Member

I know people who have been having boost problems and it was not the blower at all. Make sure compression is correct, Cam timing, Rocker ratio is correct, Closed seat pressure, Etc.....

10. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

I turned the blower by hand and it was pretty hard to turn i put a torq wrench on it it took 5 lbs to turn it with one small spot that took 6 lbs i looked inside all the stripping looks good no nicks in it and the white part did not seem to be worn down

11. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

blower drag

I think i would look for a leak, also check the boost gauge or pressure transducer for the recorder could be bad, :)