Tuning Help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Milanmetal, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Milanmetal

Milanmetal Member

Where should my idle be? 1800? 2000?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

For a converter the 1800 is better. For a clutch 2000 is better

3. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

My 526 hemi w/pedal clutch can idle well at @1500 but I raise that to about 1650 to help move the car to the line and the back up without having to give it any throttle. When I had a convertor trans, the lower the idle "in gear" and still be stable the better. In neutral it was higher than 1650. Just my .02 worth.

4. Milanmetal

Milanmetal Member

Alright guys... I am back from vacation and back at this. While I was gone I ordered a fuel pressure gauge. I installed it tonight and found my fuel pressure bouncing all over the place from almost 2-10 psi. When the engine noise changes you can tell its mimicking the gauge. I got plenty of fuel so I'm thinking either I am sucking air somewhere or my pump is failing. I bought my pump with a flow tag but maybe somebody threw an old one on and doesn't have conscience. I have a #16 inlet line so that should be fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

so what is the idle return poppet set at with the fuel pressure gauge attached? What is leakdown set at and what is the idle rpm set at?

6. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Sounds to me more like the rpm is too low and the fuel pump is not producing enough psi at the low end. Raise the idle psi and raise the idle rpm to see if that straightens out the psi fluctuations.

7. Milanmetal

Milanmetal Member

I think I found what I did wrong. I put the wrong spring in and I didn't set my leak down after I installed it. I see where you guys said they are tied together. I am going to put a 12a spring in tonight and reset my leak down and see what happens.

I did change my idle rpm to 2000 and that didn't seem to do anything but the other two parts aren't correct either.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

You need to actually check the opening pressure of the idle by-pass.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Screw the poppet into your leak down tester and slowly open it while listening for the air to just start going through it which is called crack pressure. You adjust that both with the spring and with the shims on the spring seat. Set it for anywhere between 8 1/2 to 10 psi crack pressure

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  10. Milanmetal

Milanmetal Member

Ok. I'm not sure if I have a number 6 fitting but I will see if I can make it work somehow.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You need either a -8 to a -6 or -10 to a -6 adapter to keep in your toolbox so you can check your poppers on a regular basis

12. DQUES

DQUES Member

Don't forget every time you turn the hex link/turnbuckle you are changing the air gap of the blades and they will need to be re set . Also make sure both of the throttle stop screws are touching at the same time or the throttle shaft can twist and close the blades on one side when running and making the engine go rich due to no incoming air on one side .

13. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Changing the BV leak with the turnbuckle shouldn't change the blade gap. Moving the turnbuckle only moves the BV, the return spring pulls the throttle lever against the stops, the only way to change the blade gap is moving throttle lever stops.

14. Blown 34

Blown 34 New Member

if its Pro Mag ignition you have timed out.