Trying to find a ride....

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by John Pelfrey, Oct 22, 2003.

1. John Pelfrey

John Pelfrey New Member

To all...my name is John Pelfrey. I am 17 years old and will be 18 by the time next years season begins. I am a graduate and a top competitor in the Jr. Drag Racing League. I have won many events, including a National Championship, and have been very involved in the sport for the past 5 years. This last year, I have been driving a 66 Chevelle in Super Street to gain seat time. I have become very familure with computer systems and track conditions. Since then, I have dreamed of becoming a driver in Top Fuel, but I want to start in A-Fuel. I have a couple of questions. What is the the best thing that I can do at this point to drive an A-Fuel dragster? How can I learn and who is out there to teach someone how to drive one competetively. Who do I need to get hooked up with and who do I need to speak to? If someone could please help me, I would be more then happy.

Thank you
    John Pelfrey

2. alkysniffer

alkysniffer New Member

Get the pocket book out there man all it takes is a lot of dough. Ha just kidding with ya man this is Casey Jo's uncle here. To be serious here tho it does take money. If you had enough and would have gotton around sooner you could maybe have gotton the ride Ashley Force got but you are a little late for that. What the heck just tell the ole pops there to break out the wallet and buy you a car. Its only money! See ya at the races sometime.

3. was R4K

was R4K Member

dON'T LET THE GUYS HERE GET YOU DOWN KID- You have lots of years ahead of you- find a team in your area and start volunteering- be quiet and learn with your eyes- after you have paid your dues for a season as a gopher will be the time to start asking questions- next step is to get your CDL when you can, and this will make you more useful to either a pro team or a top sportsman competitor.
    If you think that the guys here are too tuff on ya- go to the A/FRO site and one of the a/fd guys there will give you some better tips! Good Luck and don't lose sight of your dream! [​IMG]

[ October 22, 2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

John,

I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago, although I did have a bit more of an opportunity. I drove Jr. Dragster from 1993 to then end of 2001, working on my family's TAD from until about 1997. At the beginning of 2002 I got my licence in the TAD (yes, straight out of jr dragster...no middle steps, i was in too much of a hurry for that lol).

It takes a ton of hard work, and a lot of proving yourself to others that you are capable. When I began driving in TAD there were some skeptics that weren't too sure on how I would do, but once you show you can do the job you become one of the "gang." Sadly yes, money is a huge determining factor on what level you run your car at...I think the trick is to just do what you can afford and have fun doing it!

Good Luck,
    -Nathan

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

john,

glad to have you on here. r4k has the right idea. thats what i've done and its worked out so far for me. i dont have a ride, but i havent quit looking .

i drove jr's myself for a couple years back when they first started. in addition to growing up at the track, i started out when i was 16 going to a few races with jay meyer polishing wheels, cleaning tires and cleaning oil pans. when jay went back serious in 99, thats when i really got to learn. i would get my jobs done and go watch the bottom end being done, or go help on the clutch. i asked alot of questions and kept my eyes open. fast forward a few years and i used my crewing help to get me some license runs. steve burck let me make 3 passes in his tafc in return for working for him, and tim rudy let me make some passes in his a/fd for the same. i'm one run shy of my tad license as we speak.

unfortunately, the days of getting a ride based on skill are just about gone. how much money you can bring is more important than how good you are these days. for someone like myself that don't have the cash to offer, its a catch 22, because you cant get a ride without a sponsor, and you cant get a sponsor without a ride. my plan B is the business degree i will be getting next august from UH so hopefully i can make the money to fund my own operation.

also, i really enjoy the tuning aspect of the class, and have a pretty good gig getting to crew chief for jason cannon. i've been very fortunate to work under tom conway with jay meyer, shelly howard and now jason. we go to a lot of races tom is not at so we have to do it on our own alot now. its rewarding when it hauls ass, but it takes the wind out of you when you make the wrong call.

what i'm getting at is just work at it. if you work hard at it and stay determined you can make it happen. its kinda like the ac/dc song.....its a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll....

good luck..
    will

6. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Definitely paying your dues is in order. Getting on a team and starting by sweeping the floor is the first step.
    Another option is finding enough money to buy an 8.90 car. There are some decent older cars out there for good prices. Getting tons of seat time. Also basic maintenance in the way of checking valves, etc. That is a great step for someone who wants to prove they can handle a dragster. It is also something that you can race while you work on the bigger cars. Especially a top alcohol car where their races are limited, and fairly close to home. Win some big stuff in that car and it will look more attractive on your resume' than just Jr Dragster wins.
    Good luck!

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

good point wannabe. i guess i forgot to mention that in my late nite ramble....lol

driving my sc dragster really prepared me for the jump to tad. i didnt think getting used to the speed would help as much as it did. also the maintenance end helps too.

8. alkysniffer

alkysniffer New Member

Hey guys I hope you didnt think I was being hard on him. My niece drove jrs too and raced with him a few times and mainly I was just kidding with him cause we know him. You guys are right tho he should go to the races and see if you can get on helping someone on the cars. That at least gets you in the door man. Then if you are lucky and get some seat time in a super comp or something along with knowing the in's and out's of an afuel or alcohol car you might just get there all you can do is try.

9. John Pelfrey

John Pelfrey New Member

Hey everyone. I appreciate all the imput that you all have given me. Every little piece of information I can get goes along way. The next question is, Which one of you would be willing to let me tag along with you and your team next season? I would be more then happy to do anything.

John

10. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

John look up Daryl Hitchman when Topeka comes around he runs that race and will put you to work for the weekend and teach you a few things.

11. nhr-eh

nhr-eh New Member

Mr.Pelfrey if you want to get into this game as a young guy you could try dating some ones daughter that has an alcohol car, just don't get caught with your rod hanging out of the pan! If not you should be prepared to wash parts or cut the grass at the shop for a while. I wish you luck in your search

12. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

John Pelfrey, make sure you stress with the teams you work for, that you would like to make a couple hits in one of these things someday. You don't have to push the issue, but be sure they know. Also, be dependable, listen and if you don't know...ask! Finding a local team may help also, because you could help with the mantinence of the car during the week. That's where you really learn how to work on one of these things.
    Some seat time in a super comp car would help. Frank Hawley's driving school could be an option if money is a issue. I would suggest some type of college degree in business and marketing..etc.

I also like Will, was given the chance to get my lic. in the TAD I worked on, in trade for the time I spent working on the car. But I had to build up my car owners trust before he would give me a chance.

Hey, if it worked for Ron Capps, why not you?

Tony Smith
    Clutchman
    Zizzo Racing Top Fuel Dragster

13. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Hey Tony, I've been crewin for the same guy for almost 20 years, and I've still not gotten to make a pass down the track!!!! :D What is your secret?!! ;) LOL Kim

14. alkysniffer

alkysniffer New Member

Hell Kim you are married to him what seems to be the problem. I always thought that when a guy said I do that meant what is hers is hers and what is his is hers too! So that means that is your car kick Marty out and take it!

15. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

LOL He has the pedals where I can't reach them and see the track!!! Have you ever watched us warm the car up? :D I'm down in so far, sometimes people think there is no one in the car!!!

[ October 25, 2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Transit ]

16. David Smith

David Smith Member

Kim get a few Phone Books, blocks of wood , and some duct tape and you will be all set LOL :D ;) [​IMG]

17. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Duct Tape!!!! Now why didn't I think of that!!!!
    Or I my daughter my have a pair of those shoes with the really thick heels. Do you think NHRA would be okay with that? :D LOL

Seriously, though like everyone said. Start with a team and learn EVERYTHING! Be willing to DO ANYTHING. Good Luck.
    PS: One of the guys that used to be on our crew (while he was in college), has worked for Christen Powell, Kenny Bernstein, and now works with Whit Bazemore. I think one day you will see him as a crew cheif.

Kim

18. Will Hanna

Staff Member

as far as trying to make a career in this sport, remember drivers pay and tuners get paid.

19. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

Amen at that Will......That is one of the main reasons Jimmy got out of the seat. Radiac gave him a deal he couldnt refuse!

20. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

By the way....No smart a$$ remark Les!!! haha