Transmission Ratio Progression

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by kgools, Oct 20, 2006.

1. kgools

kgools Member

Here's what I have:
    2750 # Promod
    518" KB Blown Hemi
    Bolt together Chance converter
    3 Speed Lenco 31 % & 50% making a 1.96 Low Gear

Here's my question. Which progession of gears would I be better off with:

1.96 - 1.50 - high or 1.96 - 1.31 - high

Until I pulled my trans apart a couple of weeks ago, I thought that I was using the 1.50 for second but realized we had it set up using the 1.31. We were shaking the tires in second pretty much all year. I'm wondering if it was bogging the motor and that's why it was shaking the tires. I had also noticed that I could run with just about anyone in low gear but seemed to fall behind about a car length immediatly after shifting into second. I also broke two sets of the 1.31 gear sets.

It seems logical to me that if I use the 1.5 second, it won't be such a big drop and might help the tire shake and could actually run quicker. It hopefully will be a little easier on the gear sets also.

I've got one race left this year and can't do any testing ahead of time so I 'm looking for some opinions.

Thanks,
    Keith Goolsby

2. Danny Humphreys

You need a tighter ratio to keep rpm drop to a minimum to keep the boost up. I'd run a 1.31 x 1.31 and run more gear in the rear or give it more timing at the hit. I assume you're pulling timing at the starting line now?

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I was always under the impression that if you used a converter that you only used a two speed Lenco because the torque multiplication of the converter made it so you didn't need a low gear. Even if you were using a three speed it would seem that your ratios would be different from a clutch car because of the converter. A blown clutch ProMod at your weight with a 4.56 rear normally uses a 2.08 - 2.10 first gear and around a 1.44 -1.46 second gear. I don't have my Lenco chart gear ratio chart with me but the ratios are close.

Somebody who is a genius with ratios for different cars it Matt at Lenco. You should call him a chat with him and see what he recommends.

4. Danny Humphreys

2 speed drops the rpm too much, that would magnify the problems you are currently having.

5. kgools

kgools Member

Most of the guys that I know that are running a converter use a three speed and run really well. Our converter is generating some pretty serious heat right now. I think that going to a two speed would only make that worse.

I don't have the parts to change any of the ratios right now so which do you think is a better progression using what I have ?

1.96 - 1.50 or 1.96 - 1.38

Thanks,

Keith

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Call Matt at Lenco and ask him. (800) 854-2944

7. JP

JP Member

Well I'm no expert by any means , but I'm running something very close to what you are doing . When we had the 1.95 witha 1.45 second gear the car ran with no big drop off in either power at the shift. So I tried the same gear 1.95 but with a 1.35 in second gear and the car fell on its face with almost 2300rpm drop at the shift . Now were are getting parts to go to a 2.10 (1.45*1.45) . Hope this helps !

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The 2.10 (1.45 & 1.45) are the ratios I was trying to remember in my earlier post that are most used by blown ProMods with a 4.56 rear gear in IHRA and NHRA. The big problem with a 4.56 gear is the amount of RPM at the finish line. A 4.30 or 4.10 makes it a lot less RPM.

9. kgools

kgools Member

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

The 1.45 - 1.45 deal sounds like the way to go. We may change to that this winter. I'm going to try the 1.50 second this week and see what happens.

Thanks,

Keith

PS. I'd still take any input/experience anyone else might have

10. Danny Humphreys

That's a lot of first gear for a converter deal. Ben there done that. But to each his own.