Toterhome owners: Do you hit the scales?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Randy G., Jan 15, 2004.

1. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

When we go racing Bill and I do the driving and neither one of us have a CDL or class E license. Which is better to have and what is a class E license?

2. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

Definition as printed on the back of my license:

"Class E-Non Commercial Exempt vehicle in excess of 26,001"

Class E are used by

Ambulance Drivers
    Fire Fighters
    State Employees
    State Operated Bus Drivers
    Church Groups
    Non Profit Organizations
    Rv Owners

Hope this helps.

[ January 18, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

3. TopAlkyFan1588

TopAlkyFan1588 New Member

I read where someone said not to have very many stickers on your truck or trailer, and thats a good point. We were pulling an open trailer with small peice of equipment on it with our F-450 (No larger than the F-350) and got stopped. We were going down to the ranch to clear some land for the weekend. They made us go to the weigh station and we went through a big argument with them. But we had our company's name on the doors of the truck and they said because that was on there we had to have a CDL because we were doing business with it (which we were not). They also said if we did not have the logo on the door that there would have been no problem.

4. Dan Parker

Dan Parker TAFC

Great topic!

5. Dan Parker

Dan Parker TAFC

Great topic!

In process of getting CDL, will check out class E, the book here in AZ doesn't show a class E, I'll check it out in the morning.

We were pulled over in Ohio by a State cop, no ticket given, but he said because of the air brakes we'd better get a CDL, that they were changing the rules and if you had air brakes you needed a CDL. MVD in AZ says he's wrong, but its hard to argue on the side of the road in his state.

Thanks guys!

Dan

6. clint thompson

wow, they sure did a good job fixin' my rig! thanks randy! as far as the freedom automatic, i've only taken the one trip with mine and it is AWESOME! always knows the gear to be in, great grade control on downhill when combined with the engine brake, no clutching whatsoever.

7. coyotedale

coyotedale Member

My dad has thought of getting a Frieghtliner with a conversion, but hearing of all the potential hassles, I'm not sure it is worth it.

Any suggestions on a good crew cab type truck for a 40 ft trailer?

Ford Powerstroke?
    Dodge Cummins?
    GM ?

8. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Using the Ford 350 Dually with power stroke. Goes and stops well. Put the "chip" in it to get some ass out of her. I would like to go to a stacker but afraid that it may be too much for the 350 D to stop. Anyone have a 36 foot stacker and hauling it with a PU truck? I don't want to take a chance on a toter home. All we can do is go to a motorhome and tag....then you still need a car for towing at the track. Afraid of getting all the hassel these guys are talking about with a freightliner. I can always get an aluminum stacker but the cost is $$$ in order to keep the weight down. Brownman (FNG) :confused:

9. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

You definitely don't want to be towing a stacker behind any type of Dually. With all the added weight your going to be carrying in spare parts, tools, etc., you ought to buy a top kick/toter style of truck.

Dan

10. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

We pulled the 48 footer one time to Maple Grove with my 2000 GMC CC dually. It is a rear stacker with the car on top and a golf cart on the bottem. It was not pretty. The next week we got the toter

[ January 30, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

11. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Thanks alot.That settles the issue for us. No budget for a toter home, and the dually gives us total flexability at the track. ( Haul people, Parts and towing plus driving around town) Really don't want to deal with the Highway Patrol problem in other states. ( Not aware of any in PA) It just makes sense to save the 150K and stay in a hotel and let somebody else clean up after the gang! Look for us to be stuffed into a 34'trailer this year. Not ordering anything for at least the 1st season. Thanks..Brownman (FNG) :D

12. cnitrofumes

cnitrofumes Member

I called a local toterhome dealer to ask how they get around the commercial issues. Their response was "it's titled and registered as a motorhome and as long as you don't letter it you won't get tagged as a commercial operation." The motor carrier laws are generated by the feds and each state has an obligation to follow them. I've been trying to get someone on the federal level to give me a straight answer. The best I got was it's not really dependent on size or weight but "intended usage". If you have the capability to produce income related to the use of your rig than it is commercial. Doesnt matter if it's a dually and tag along or a toterhome and 5th wheel.

13. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Well, Friday I entered Arizona on the 10 Fwy and the sign lit up telling me to enter the scales. When I went through the officer told me I shouldn't have entered because..."Even though this looks like a truck, you have it registered as a motorhome...have a nice day."

Hmmm.

14. dak

dak Member

2 Years ago a Super-Comp racer out of Idaho went to the Winters and he has the big motor home (Bus type) and trailer and was chased down in California. He had major hassles as he could move the motorhome or the trailer but not hooked up together the problem was the over all length..His defence didn't stand up (its a motor home).The problems I've heard people are running into are 1-the length of the rig (his was 72' long) and that the fith wheel toter homes do not look like "motor homes" which all of a sudden attrack the attn of the CHP..If you look at some of the guys that have the Big chassis trucks but with a 24' conversion on it and haul a tag they are keeping the overall length to 64 or 65 feet ..A buddy of mine runs out of Arizonia and his rig is 64'6" and 20' notor home conversion and 30'stacker and every year he gets stopped at the same scale and hears the same list of violations -(No CDL,overlength No log books) He listens asks all the right quesitons and then asks about the overlength issue and they tell him because it is over 65' long he is no longer considered a motorhome and has to comply with CDL regs..So they go out and measure the rig and he leaves without the tickets as he falls into the RV regs. I read an artical in Bracket Racing USA and they had an article from the NY state troopers and they were tough on everyone..Open or enclosed they consider you a Commmercial unit..Good luck

[ February 09, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: dak ]

15. Tad117

Tad117 Member

It all matters of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they want to ruin your day they will. If have been stopped in California for the 65 feet rule. You should seen the look on the CHP guy face when I handed him my blue cross card for my medical card. My stories can go on and pn Delaware no log book. New Mexico log book filled out in correctly. North Carolina when the fuel tax sticker blew off. You just have to love racing dont you