Toter Home Insurance

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mike Canter, Feb 21, 2014.

1. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

This must be a NY policy because mine does not read that way or even mention a race car.

2. Policy Peddler

Underwriting manual or Policy?

your underwriting Manual does not say this?
    If you are talking about you policy it would not, they are two different things.
    A policy does not state what is and is not acceptable.
    Just like an auto policy does not say "the insurance company will not accept a driver with 4 DWI convictions", even though they will not.

It would be the same as a Homeowners policy, the company would not accept your house if there was a hole in the roof, but it does not say that in the policy.

what state are you in, i will look it up?

3. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Texas.

If its not in my policy or made available to me by the insurance company with my signature then I don't see any way they could avoid paying a claim especially when I have not been deceitful about anything.

4. Policy Peddler

Progressive RV insurance in Texas

Thank you for the discussion;

Never said they were going to deny a claim. I said, they did not know what they insured and probably would not have if they knew, per their underwriting guide lines. I have talked to Progressive underwriters about this type of vehicle previously. If someone mislead the company then there is the possibility of having a claim denied. If there was not, then there is the possibility of having coverage when a risk does not meet the guide lines. Me, I just as soon not have to live with the thought that if i have an accident it might not be covered.
    Here are the Progressive Insurance guide lines from their agent manual for Texas. It appears to be the same as NY. Again saying toy haulers with space for horse or atv are acceptable. Which would mean anything else is excluded. An underwriter always has the option of accepting a risk hauling a race car or something else if they are aware of it and consent to it. Then there would be no question of coverage.

UNA CCEPTA BLE RVs
    › School or transit buses (whether converted or not).
    › Conversion vans (whether converted or not).
    › RVs without the required “facilities.” See page 6 for details.
    › RVs principally garaged/stored in Canada, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Mexico
    or Puerto Rico. Travel trailers garaged in Massachusetts. “Principally garaged” is
    defined as at least six months in a given state or location.
    › Vehicles owned or leased by a partnership or corporation, unless always operated by
    the named insured or a listed driver for pleasure; all drivers are listed on the policy;
    Although we provide coverage for almost all risks, the following risks are not acceptable for our RV program (Motor Home and Travel Trailer):
    no more than one such vehicle is owned or leased by the partnership or corporation;
    and the partnership or corporation does not engage in a business of carrying persons
    or property for compensation or a fee, or selling, renting, leasing, repairing, parking,
    storing, servicing, delivering or testing vehicles.
    › Pickup trucks or other vehicles that carry campers or tow trailers.
    › Stationary Motor Homes.
    › Park models, manufactured homes, and permanent stationary trailers. We will accept a tieddown
    trailer as long as the insured is able to detach the tie-down without professional assistance.
    › Trailers with deflated wheels or without wheels, permanently on blocks, on a permanent
    foundation, permanently connected to any utilities and/or other structures, or
    parked throughout the year in a single location other than a campground or RV park
    and can’t typically be moved from site within 30 minutes.
    › Horse trailers or utility trailers are not acceptable. We will accept travel trailers,
    fifth-wheels, and Motor Homes that contain a special compartment in the back to
    transport horses or ATVs if the primary use of this unit is for recreational purposes
    and it contains cooking and sleeping facilities.

› Motor Homes and heavy duty tow vehicles that are the only vehicle in the household, unless
    they have another vehicle registered for street use (this also applies for Full Timer’s).
    › Any RV on consignment.
    › RVs with more than two owners.
    › RVs that are parked on commercial sites, including construction areas.
    › Homemade travel trailers.
    › Vehicles intended for short term use under conditional purchase contracts with
    vehicle return agreements.
    › RVs rented by our insured where a rented RV is the only vehicle(s) on the policy.
    › Physical damage on RVs with a state-assigned VIN, reconstruction, or salvage title.
    UNA CCEPTA BLE USAGE
    › RVs used for any business or commercial purposes.
    › RVs leased or rented to others by the insured.
    › RVs used as a primary residence (EXCEPT when the Full Timer’s Package has been
    purchased). See page 10 for more details.
    › RVs taken to and from work or work locations (including touring entertainers, construction
    workers, race car drivers, etc.).
    › RVs used for racing/speed tests or in the direct support of racing activities.
    › RV used for pickup or delivery of goods, limousine or taxi service, or emergency services.
    › RVs used in the sport of ice fishing (except if garaging address is Minnesota,
    Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota or Michigan

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  5. KeithDyer

KeithDyer Member

That "Fine Print" deal it looks like . . . . . . .

"Ice Fishing" . . . . , really??

Take care, K

6. Policy Peddler

Fine Print

It is not an issue of fine print, If they know what they are insuring and agree to it, there is no problem.

The issue of no coverage would arise if there was misrepresentation.

If I sold you a car and said "it was a new car" when you got it the car had 10,000 miles on it. Would that be OK? Why would it be OK for someone to say I have a motor home, am not carrying anything or pulling a trailer. Then expecting coverage when the trailer comes loose and runs into a on coming car?

An insurance policy is a contract with both sides agreeing to conditions.

You expect the insurance company to pay for your claim, the insurance company expects you to do what you say. The rating and underwriting expertise is what the company works under and issues.
    If you tell the insurance company you want to insure your car for pleasure use and what you really are insuring is a Mini Bus used to go on bachelor parties, wine tours and other high risk uses. If they do not know what they are insuring then it is misrepresentation and there is no coverage.

If I hired your back hoe to come and dig a hole for a water garden in my lawn. Then when you got there I expected you to dig a water line to my shop, my well, then dig a trench for my sewer, septic tank and leach field for the same money. What would you say? That is what happens with insurance. People think that what ever they can slip past a insurance company is OK and then they expect coverage on everything.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that insurance companies are always right when they deny a claim. A claims adjuster is no different than you or any other person. They are reading something, interpreting it in relationship to the claim they are handling, everyone has opinions, so there's may be different than the claimant and it may also be wrong. I have had some horrendous battles with adjusters, managers and executives regarding claims coverage. I have won a lot of them and gotten coverage for my policy holders, I have lost some and have been shown where i was wrong at times.

You want to remember, DO NOT LIE OR MISREPRESENT, the last thing you want is to have a problem or denial at time of claim. What you do want to do is present what you are doing in the best light. In a calm professional manner.