torco dumps nhra teams?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tommy, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

I hear torco dumped all the nhra alchohol teams for 06'. can someone tell me if its true. a letter was just sent.

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Knoll's Litigation

I heard you cannot litigate against NHRA while you "own" a team or teams. Evan transferred ownership of teams he had an interest in. I don't know how that applies for sponsorships. If what you say is true that really sucks. Anyone want to share their Dear John letter? Marty?? Anyone???

3. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

well I dont know about the teams he owns but the NHRA alchohol teams he sponsered this year got a dear john letter is what I was told if they didnt already have a 2006 contract. if its true then thats to bad becasu he had good teams that spent a lot of money on uniforms and nice paint jobs to torcos specs to get canned after only a year. Did Don Shoemacher clean out torco with his deals so they had no money left for the teams he tarted with I wonder. first evan bones the PM cars by backing out and now he does this to the alchohol racrs.

4. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

hey tommy, i take it you didn't hear about the letter sent out by nhra about nhra teams only allowed to use vp brand nitro fuel . seems more like nhra slapped mr. knoll in the face first. torco has put a lot into drag racing all around. so for nhra to threaten racers if they run his fuel seems out of line to me.

5. shimaneed

shimaneed Banned

Mabe they should rename themselves The N.H.R. MAFIA, WE MAKEA YOU AN OFFER YOU CAN`T USE. dame commies

6. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

So everyone must only run VP Nitro? Not just the Pro Teams?

7. Woodchip

NITRO only

According to the general regulations on Page 202 section 1:10 For both National events AND the Lucas series.
    YES
    You can't even bring an alternative fuel on site.

(edit) I have to correct myself. It doesnt say "VP" nitro in the rule book. Only says "NHRA accepted supplier". And theres only one.

Methanol appears to be exempt though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  8. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Rules are rules and the fact that NHRA has an exclusive contract with VP prohibits Torco Nitro from being run in the NHRA...

NHRA didn't slap Knoll in the face?

9. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I've been a VP player from day one....rules or not they support our sport!

Kevin

10. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i understand that rules are rules, but seeing how much torco was putting into drag racing something should or could have been done in a different manor. if the rules say "accepted supplier" then i just wander why there isn't more than one "supplier".

11. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

now your getting somewhere!!!

sounds fishy?

12. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

yea thats real nice NHRA has a rule but still when torco sponsored achohol teams Im just wondering why they got snuffed out when they had nothing to do with making or breaking the rules. Evan came out and says he was for supporting the little guys yea right. which was some good achohol teams and now it looks like the normal deal happened where sponsers get taken away to fund big nitro teams who dont need the money anyway. Is Densham dumped to I wonder. if I had a team that spent money on uniforms and trailer letterng and torco handouts and paint jobs it would be bad to have everything planned and then the weekend of thxgiving get the ax after only a year.

13. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Funny thing happened last year. Torco was in a position to sell nitro to the racer at a lower cost. Next thing you know instead of VP having to compete with Torco pricing They sign an exclusive agreement with NHRA and raise their prices by 2-300 dollars a drum. Sounds like VP and NHRA are in colusion to price fix. NHRA is really figureing out how to help the race teams reduce the cost of fuel racing!!! Sounds like they are more interested in linning their own pockets. I have a hard time convincing myself this is a non profit corp.

14. DQUES

DQUES Member

Didn't 1 of the Torco alcohol dragsters just run in florida over the weekend ?. It might say skull gear on it but I thought Knoll owned that business also . Also check out the second article in the alcohol racing news section of this web site .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  15. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Just how does VP support out sport.. How many cars do they sponsor, are they keeping racing Fuel prices cheap to help the racers. We paid $150.00 for a 55 gal drum of Alcohol last year for our Super Quick rail then we found out that we could get Troco for $110.00 55 gal. What next are they going to start checking how much we buy? I don’t think that NHRA should be able to make anyone use something they don’t want to. PowerAde is the Major Sponsor of NHRA but they don’t stop me from drinking Gatorade, not that I drink Gatorade, MBNA is the major credit-card Sponsor but When I buy things in the Nitro tent they take my card which is not MBNA. They have 27 major sponsors so why are they picking VP as the one that they want to inforce and its the only Fuel that the Nitro teams can use. Sounds to me like NHRA has something against Troco
    Lanny

16. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Brand Loyalty

KB

17. shimaneed

shimaneed Banned

Wright To Your Congress Man

Start An Investagation, Lets See If There Doing Something Wrong!!!!

18. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Maybe someone can explain something to me. I don't understand how Torco can afford to spend the MILLIONS of dollars in sponsorship of various teams and series. I don't think it's possible to generate that much money selling racing fuel and t-shirts. The logo is the same as Torco oil, but they're not connected? It seems to me that if it was economically beneficial to spend that much on advertising, VP would've done it already. I'm just wondering where all that money is coming from.

bryan brown

19. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

This has to be one of the best posts on this subject. It definitely does not make financial sense to be putting out that much cash for so little income potential.

The scariest part about this deal is what happens when he decides to pull out completely from all of Drag Racing?

How many teams would go under?

What happens when Daddys money runs out?

20. Woodchip

I thought Knoll Gas was also a large national propane supplier? Saying Knoll cant possibly afford to sponsor so many racers is like saying Shumacher can't possibly make all his money selling battery chargers. Theres something Im not getting here. SOME of you seem to have a bone to pick with Knoll. let me ask you. did VP offer to pick up the ball when Mike Dzurilla decided to bail out of Pro stock racing? leaving Dave Connolly without a ride a few events into the season? And what about last year when Marty Thackers primary sponsor told him either he switches to a/Fuel or they will not renew his sponsorship? after he had everything for sale who picked up the ball? VP? Evan Knoll always seems to be in the right place just at a time when a racer needs help. But I guess I just dont know what the hell is going on? Someone needs to explain this Hatred to me.
    Dan explain to me what is the return on investment of lets say Strivenctin in the kalitta camp? heck I dont even know what that sh#t iS! Do you really think enough race fans will buy strivectin to offset their investment this season? NO they are thinking long term just like even Knoll is. Brand name recognition for long term benefit. and how many racers wouldnt be racing NOW had he not helped out Thacker and Connolly? The impression I was getting last winter was that Thacker was parked! Who cares when daddys money runs out? How many sponsorships fall by the wayside EVERY SINGLE WINTER? what about Casavant?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005