Top Alcohol/Nostalgia version of ADRL

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BLOWN INCOME

TO SMBLKBOD:The number and variety of cars that run in the 6.0 to 6.30 range is huge.
    Then consider how many might consider de-tuning their cars to meet that range?
    Then a second tier of cars for 6.30 to 6.80's

AS A PAST PROMOTER MY INPUT TO YOUR ABOVE INPUT IS :
    (1) NOT A HUGE AMOUNT OF CAR 6.0 TO 6.30 !! HAD 37 PEOPLE SHOWED INTEREST AT THE BEGING BEFORE RACING STARTED...1st. RACE COULDN'T GET 8 CAR FIELD WITHOUT ADDING 2, 7.0 F/Cs...$1500 FOR TWO 1/8 MILE PASSES...TRY TO GET A TRACK TO EVEN PAY THAT NOW.......
    (2) THE PRO-OUTLAWS TRIED THAT THE LAST SEASON FOR THEM !!! IT DIDN'T WORK OUT WELL !! KIL-KARE RACEWAY 2 YEARS STRAIGHT COULDN'T GET A ADVERTISED 16 CAR FIELD,AND THEY PAID BETTER THEN THE ABOVE...
    (3) THE COST TO RUN A 6.0 IS ALOT MORE THEN A 6.80 CAR...DETUNE THE CAR ISN'T ALL THAT EASY,TO A POINT...IF YOU THINK ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE A PULLEY ,YOUR WRONG,IF YOU WANT YOUR MOTOR TO LIVE...MOST DON'T LIKE THE LOAD OF EXTRA FUEL....
    DON'T GET ME WRONG BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HEADS-UP RACING (IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT)... YOU WILL GET A BIGGER CAR COUNT WITH A INDEX OF SOME SORT AND NOT HAVING THE DEEP POCKETS THE ONLY WINNER WEEK -IN-AND -WEEK OUT...YOU CAN RACE A 6.20 TO 6.30 BLOWER CAR PROBABLY ALL SEASON AND NOT GO BROKE DOING IT...

2. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

While I have no idea what race you couldn't get cars for, let me say this.

$1,500 won't get anyone to load up their trailer for 2, even 1/8 mile, passes if you have to travel any distance.
    Double that and you would have had full fields.
    My cost comes up to and including the 1/8 mile. A full 1/4 doesn't mean all that much additional direct cost.

That's like 1st round loser was at GoodGuys, which you could do on 2 passes, and you're going for $5,000 to win. We lost 2nd round and left with $2,000
    Not a great payday but I more than broke even.

Once you get into the higher dollar cars, the main problem is travel/motel costs. The local cars just don't number that high in any class so short fields is the result.

My position, used in the "old" days, was there should be a fund based somewhat on distance involved in booking races.
    Somehow the idea that the guy from the same city is getting the same money as someone who traveled a 1,000 miles just doesn't work for me.

The first step in any of this planning is finding out what the minimum is people in a specific class will run for and go from there.

In your stated case, it's obvious it was easy to say you'd attend but another thing to actually figure out the costs on paper.

Bob

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Dave does she have a sister???

Will Maybe you can hook up with the UDRA if it still exists
    this was almost what it did for 20 years until it couldnt get decent bookings anymore

4. hemifasst

hemifasst New Member

udra is still hear. call steve at:815-545-0622

5. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

why not handicap start no breakout 8, 16 or 32 car qualified field depending on the typical expected car count for that market? But run it like comp eliminator, Your "break out" hits your dial in index for the next round? If you expect say 8 screw cars to pre enter add to the field to allow roots cars to compete. Oh also no electronics or pneumatics whatsoever so racers don't just bump up every round.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

direction

I'm not saying the ideas discussed here about fast index racing won't work, they are just not what I think the series discussed needs.

Believe me when I say "I'm with ya brother" that I wish I could afford a top notch Top Alcohol car to run with the big dogs.

The basis of this idea isn't to create a racing series that is everything for everybody. It's to create a series that can pack a national event track with a large scale ticket giveaway. Top level TAD/TAFC/NFC/NTF cars can run the kind of numbers that not many cars can touch.

I don't believe any kind of index class can headline an event of this scale. The haves will usually trump the have nots in heads up racing. That's the inherent nature of it. It goes back to high school when the kid with daddy's money had better parts than you who had to buy them with your grocery sacking money.

7. smblkbob

smblkbob Member

Another option to consider to insure full fields is to pay back say, 10 places for an eight car field.
    Many events are doing that already with great success.

Personally, I'd rather run heads up against perhaps much better cars than run an index.

However, currently many teams are making phone calls prior to an event to see if they'll at least get first round loser money to cover the trip. They find out they don't think they'll qualify so they stay home. A couple of the heavy hitters don't show and the field ends up short. This happens many more times than most will admit.

Paying back a couple of spots helps with that decision.

Bob

8. The Leveler

The Leveler New Member

I've been thinking the same thing....

I've been watching the ADRL thing and looking at it the same way for a few years..... it needs ALKY!! I'd do whatever it took to get on board with this!! I'm looking to either go blown alky digger or a Nostalgia funny as soon as possible ... I'd travel as far as my checkbook would let me to run like that:D