??? Tire Shake ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by frank70, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Years ago Don Garlits used to have a long list of things that caused tire shake on an inside tralier cabinet door. The list went something like this.....to much clutch, not enough clutch...to much tire pressure, not enough tire pressure...to much power, not enough power....and on it went through about 8 or 10 items.
    It always makes me smile and think of that list everytime I think I've figured out yet another problem:).
    It's truly...a humbling sport;).

Blessings.........Ron.

2. frank70

frank70 NOSTALGIA DRAGSTER

Ron, I am looking forward to coming out and running with you guys next year. Seems like you guys have a good group of people and have alot of fun!!
    I really appreciate all the information from everyone!! THANKS GUYS!!!!

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

I don't have any experience with dragsters but taking timing out on the hit is the only way to go fast with a blown doorcar and a converter.Especially,a wedge engine.I changed everything including the car before I learned my lesson. It's not uncommon to dump half your total timing and ramp it back in 1.5 seconds down track.
    You can reduce base timing if you don't have timing control and see if it helps the shake but it will be a pig downtrack.
    With a converter you really don't have a good tuning option for a bad track except the timing.
    Also, i've never run a high helix below 20%o.d. Oddy told me years ago it effects how the car gets up on the tire.
    A promag 12 and a digital timing box and you'll be set.

Good luck,
    Mike

4. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

sorry to jump into your thread frank70, but would like to get some advise about the same prob. I have RED (swingarm) with 540" 8-71 Powerglide application. Shakes every pass at the very top of low gear. Tried between 5-7# air in some half worn out GYs, 6# shook the least. (this could be the prob., have T/A take-off Hoosiers on now for next test) I have ACD air control leaving at 4200. Have it opening slow as possible (about 1 sec.). 1.03 60'. Shoulds like I need to let it open faster to get up on the tire?? Chassis man said its those old tires?? 35 degress timing (plugs indicates this ok) shifting at 7500, could possibly lower this to fix problem too??

pete9857 - so you run 2 step and throttle control, this is interesting why not just the throttle control?

Thanks

5. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

knock 5* more out then put it back in at the gear change are right after the gear change i used to have the same problem with blown bbc i got tired of chasing it never could hop it up it would not go down with out shaking it would run faster when i took power away finely went to lenco and a clutch