Timing retarding 2* after installing crank trigger

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by billy438stroker, Apr 17, 2016.

1. billy438stroker

billy438stroker New Member

I'm running a 7AL-3 Black Ignition' Just installed a sbf used crank trigger..... Set the sensor with one of the magnets, locked on 30* and turned the dist to #1 ... Fired right up. Looks rock solid till I rev the engine, then it retards 2 degrees.... I have tried everything with no luck... The sensor wires match the wires going to the 7AL-3 , but reversed them and timing advanced 20 * so switched back... Crank trigger wheel is on right side' with arrow on outside turning clockwise... Sensor is about 50 airgap from trigger wheel..
    Things I tried below...
    Tried another but used sensor
    Tried another crank trigger wheel
    Tried a used digital 7
    Just tried a new out of the box digital 7
    Have 0 chips in retards not using and ran gnds also
    Ran gnds from aluminum heads to frame
    Using flaming river self powered regular timing light ' but tried 3 others
    Put light on # 6 cyl and still same thing
    Even though I have heavy gnd's and hot at rear and front of car, ran 10 gauge + & - from 7AL3 to batt
    Intsalled a new I had laying around , shielded cable from sensor to ign box...
    Timing was off 2* on balancer when I first built the motor' went back yesterday with a dial indicator in #1 cyl and made sure it was still the same...
    MSD has went out of their way trying to help me but said they didn't know what else to try..
    Anyone here ever have this problem ?? thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. TWD

TWD Blown alky

Clearly you checked the obvious, so I'll take a big leap here.
    Are you checking the timing on the outer rim of the damper? Could it be that this is lagging by 2 degrees compared to the crank nose at higher speeds? It doesn't sound normal, but neither does your problem.

Another better defined issue would be trigger delay which essentially is constant time rather than constant angle. That would show as a delay which increases with speed (linear ramp). Normally the shift is small and I think MSD even uses corrections in their boxes to compensate this.
    Effectively this shouldn't be an issue, but it might be worth checking if you see a linear increase with speed or a discrete step at some speed.

3. billy438stroker

I will make a short video in a little while showing you what it is doing.... My balancer was off 2 * when bought new... Rechecked mark using a dial indicator in #1 cyl... It was also checked with the heads off when I first built my engine...
    Here is the new marks I made... I have my mark 28 * , which is my 30* that I set the crank trigger on... I had to make another bracket to mount my crank trigger bracket to... I'm using my stock pointer that's mounted to the timing cover...

[​IMG]

4. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

5. billy438stroker

They are wired right' I even tried changing them , but then the timing would advance 15* or so when I would rev it, so I put them back like they are suppose to be...

6. billy438stroker

I'm still trying to chase this down.... You can see in this clip I just shot' It retards when I rev it , starting around the 12 sec mark

7. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Sounds like cam twist or distributor shaft twist to me.

8. billy438stroker

MSD tells me the dist or cam has nothing to do with it, where im running a crank trigger and its picking up timing off the crankshaft.. Is this not true ?

9. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

It still sounds possible that the quickness of the rev is still causing some twists that take a split second for the MSD to correct. I think that I see that the 2* change is very short. Does the 2* change stay off setting at high rpm?

10. billy438stroker

I will recheck it but I think it holds at 28* instead of 30* at higher rpm's' but it may not....I will go back out and recheck it. It could be short and right back to 30 like u said

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Bully what MSD said about it not being the distributor or cam is true and is the whole reason for the crank trigger to bypass all that to get stable timing. So if your timing is changing 2 degrees then the sensor or the wheel has to be moving. Have you tried using the distributor vice the crank trigger and see if the same thing happens?

12. billy438stroker

Haven't tried the dist' I know the wheel is more than tight, rechecked it twice.... The long bracket that the sensor bracket bolts to I had to make, cause someone had cut one end of the long bracket off.. I cut a section of aluminum to put between the long bracket and the bracket I made to mount on the motor plate... Wonder if im getting vibration from the bracket I made ??? Its all very tight, but not sure if there is vibration.... I know my balancer has fluid and clutches in the Innovators West ballancer

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Or the motor is twisting in the motor plate. Two degrees wouldn't take much movement.

14. billy438stroker

I would believe that more.... I'm using a stock trans mount and a front motor plate & mid plate ... No motor mounts..

15. tc1216

tc1216 Member

don't know if this has anything to do with it, but is your rotor phased correctly? Also check to see if the rotor is tight. Check the nub on the rotor. Check to make sure the cap is tight.

16. billy438stroker

Yeah ' I lined one of the magnet's to the sensor with the balancer on 30* ..... turned the dist and lined it up with #1 ...Its a brand new dist and everything is tight

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Rotor phasing will not change timing. The only thing that can change timing is the relationship between the wheel and the sensor changing.

18. Bob69

Bob69 Member

Dumb question.
    What voltage is going to the main power feed of the MSD and do you run a alternator.
    Is the voltage change influencing the MSD function of the MSD.

19. billy438stroker

20. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

im still confused if the wiring is correct or not, buuuut I think if you have a distributor that can be hooked to the msd to see if it does the same thing or not would be a good start to see if it acts the same.