Timing Retard

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SD 496, May 12, 2005.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Hey Will, are you going to be at the Shreveport race this weekend?

2. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

Thanks for your help guys!

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

no mike i wont, we're thrashing on the funny car trying to get it ready to test memorial day weekend. a lot of little stuff to finish up on the car. we're running into a million little problems and setbacks that are the inherent nature of finishing a racecar up with a deadline.

the converter is at coan's getting some updates, it's the last peice we are waiting on. it supposed to be in early next week.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

To bad, then I will drink your beer. I am going to be there on Steve Burck's car with Tony Garanzuay.

I know what it is like finishing up a race car. We have our ProMod completed it was one small thing after another. It drove me crazy. We will be the only tru blown Ford out there both in body and motor.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

SD-496. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here. You may use 31* static IF you are not using a ProMag 44. If you use a smaller mag or MSD ignition it may require that extra timing. What do you have for an ignition system?

6. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

MSD ProMag 44. 60% overdrive. Pushing rod bearings 0.001" which I'm comfortable with. Fuel system is on the rich side. No timers.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Then in that case that is too much advance. Probably the too rich mixture is stopping the detonation. Becareful if you start leaning it out with that much advance.

8. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

Mixture is pretty good in high gear but rich in low. I think of adding timers and see if it works taking some fuel out earlier in the run. I will on your advice retard the timing first and play it safe.

9. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Thanks Mike
    Your answer had confirmed what I thought but wasn't sure.
    This is exactly what is great about Inside Top Alcohol racers getting together, answering questions and helping each other solve problems.

Thanks
    Bob Kraemer