Timing Retard

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SD 496, May 12, 2005.

1. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

Why should you retard your timing when the clutch locks up in first gear on a TA/FC ?

2. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

I think it's to prevent the tires from breaking loose but I'm not sure. I would like some help in six shooter setup for a TA/FC

3. DQUES

DQUES Member

I have not seen to many timing retarders and 6 shooters on the afc's ( IHRA ) . Is anyone in NHRA using them ?.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

During the time in first gear prior to clutch lockup the engine is really in a "unloaded" state so the dynamic compression ratio is fairly low and because of this the fuel mixture appears rich. Right at the clutch lockup point the engine is now under extreme load and the dynamic cylinder pressure increases sharply and the fuel mixture will appear to leans out. Because of this change in engine compression ratio and lean out the retard is required to prevent detonation. The ignition advance prior to the clutch lockup is to make the engine more responsive and help compensate for the rich mixture.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

good post mike. in tafc applications, some are advancing the timing through low, some are taking it out at the top of low to prevent tireshake, some are retarding it in high gear.

i've tried advancing the timing in low, then kicking it back. its not my favorite, and be careful!

6. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

Thanks for your replys!

I now realize the extreme engine load at the clutch lock up point, but should I keep the timing retarded through first gear?

I thought the car was more prone to tireshake with less power but this is maye only true before the clutch locks up.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

My understanding is for the basic tuning once that clutch has locked up you need to retard and keep it there to prevent detonation. Like Will posted there are more advanced tuning methods to use the timing but without knowing your car they would be hard to prescribe.

8. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

I think the engine is under less load and revs more freely once the clutch is complety locked. With this in mind it should be possible to regain timing in first gear without detonation. Then maybe retard some in second gear and even some more in third gear when the engine sees more load.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Once the clutch stops slipping the motor is put under tremendous load and the force required to push the piston down increases so the expanding gases build up more pressure. Don't confuse this with rpm increase because you are looking at cylinder performance one firing at a time and not over a range of firings. The flame expansion in the chamber actually changes shape from being an eclipse shape in the vertical to being a dougnut shape in the horizontal plane and now pushes up against the hemi shape chamber and then pushes back down evenly from all sides which is what actually gives the hemi head the advantage.

10. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

When the clutch stops slipping the g-meter goes down and the lambda shows a richer condition without any timing changes. Because of that and the rpm graph I thought the engine was under less load.

So the right conclusing in this case is that an engines load is not proportional to its ability to increase rpm?

11. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

G METER TELLS ALL!! We have messed with advance in low gear with mixed results so far.The car stops pulling at lockup because you lose torque multipication through the clutch.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If the motor does not suddenly RPM when the clutch locks up I would suggest that you fuel mixture is probably too rich to start with. Normally a engine pretty well flat lines while the clutch is slipping then when it locks up the RPM should suddenly start climbing.

13. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Damn Mike I agree with Will (Good Post)
    I learned something new today.
    Question for you & Will?
    Retarding the timing at clutch lock up or at top of low gear hold true for any type of blower combo be it a standard roots, hi-helix or screw blower?

Thanks & Take Care
    Bob Kraemer

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Bob, I would have to say yes but that may have a little guess factor in that answer. It would seem to me that the motor beneath that blower doesn't care what is making boost. The big difference between a Roots type blower and a PSI is that the Roots blower heats the incoming charge of air higher than the PSI and because of this the volumetric efficiency of the roots motor is reduced at higher RPM so one has to pull out fuel whereas the PSI has a cool charge so one pours in more fuel at RPM. After all that then theoretically the AFR with a Roots blower and a PSI blower is the same but the PSI has a cooler charge of air so it is less prone to detonation but it makes more boost which would require less timing. Actually in the end I believe the timing requirements just happen to work out close to the same.

15. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

If I understands the info right a six shooter set up could look something like this:

1. In stage 36° for good respons
    2. Just before clutch locks 32°
    3. Top of low 26° to prevent tireshake
    4. Second gear 32°
    5. High gear 30° to prevent detonation

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i dont know what kind of combo you're running, but those timing numbers seem way high!! i don't have a lot of experience with veney stuff, but that's wayyyy too much timing for a brad motor...if you're running brad start at 25 and work your way up watching bearing squash.

it's been my experience static timing works best on a blown clutch car. fuel management seems to work best for managing power. these cars aren't that smart. you can run real good with a main jet and a pump loop. a six shooter could be useful for controlling tireshake at top of low if you don't like changing trans ratios for track conditions.

like i said these cars aren't that smart, but often times they are smarter than us.... :eek: :D

17. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

AJ 481x, Whipple and 31-32° static timing

18. SD 496

SD 496 New Member

Could you please explain how a retard helps controlling tireshake on top of low. I always thought less counterweight / more power was the key to avoid tireshake @ clutch lockup.

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well, if the tire shake is caused because the motor is down on power then I find it hard to believe that pulling out timing would be the way to go. If you pull out timing then the horsepower is going to go down even more. Yep, that may stop tire shake but it will slow you down but if that is the way you want to go. I have always considered tireshake in the top of 1st gear to be caused by the fuel mixture being wrong due to the clutch locking up loading the motor, the motor going up in rpm but the fuel mixture is off so it cannot support the power the motor wants to make so here comes tire shake.

Being too tight on the clutch will cause tire shake if it locks up at too low of an RPM so the screw blower is not high enough to make boost so no power. From what I have seen a loose clutch appears to be best for a PSI/Whipple type screw blower. Some tuners never lock their clutches up during the entire run thus keeping themotor ahead of the clutch.

20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

the only way pulling timing out at the top of low to cure tireshake would be if you were shaking due to too much wheelspeed. if your car is shaking due to falling off the tire, thats obvious that would be the wrong way to go. typically at divisional events you see a decent to good starting line that goes to hell in a hurry, typically where the top of low is. if it is breaking the tire loose there you could knock some timing out at that point to calm it down through that transition. if the car is indeed falling off the tire, then it would clearly need more power, clutch ratio, something rather than taking power out.

remember there are about a million different reasons for tireshake. if you got something screwed up, tireshake is usually the result. my old man said garlits used to have all the reasons for tireshake on his trailer door...too aggressive, not aggressive enough, good track, bad track, too much clutch, not enough clutch.....

the key to finding out the culprit is watching your wheelspeed on your computer. you can get carried away looking at all the other data, but the bottom line is wheelspeed in the right places and interpreting what the causes of problems are. remember wheelspeed is whats actually happening on the track...