Time for an alcohol/NHRA reorganization?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Blown Chances, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Not to change the subject, well maybe for two seconds, But...Since when is it the racers responsiblity to provide the money or a sponsor, and a track facility, when we pay into a association that sets the rules, dates, and calls the shots.
    The racers are the draw to any track especially the two alcohol classes that are the #3 and #4 fastest and quickest classes in all of nhra, people come to watch if they know its happening, if its under advertised that is not the Racers fault, but it has a direct effect of pay scale,.does it not..?? Take care of the people that make it happen " the racers".
    Sounds to me that the NHRA and or lucas or the track is not fullfilling their end of the deal,..we race for points and money do we not..???..NO MONEY NO FUNNY

If there is a change of venue and association,...PLEASE FILL US IN.

looking for a new drug. Because this one I am on is causing me to babble...:confused:

:rolleyes:

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

restructure

Good points made...

If the deck is re-shuffled, the tracks will want to have a say.

The responses show how difficult it is to find a middle ground on this. You have racers that are for all national event with a few regionals/divisionals and you have racers that would rather race for free if they had to just to stay at the closer divisional races. Then you add like Dean said, not all divisions have the same amount of nationals.

My point is that I think we need to be proactive with NHRA and the tracks and try to work towards the best possible scenario. I really think if we are not proactive, we're going to wake up one morning with a two paragraph release on nhra.com stating Top Alcohol will no longer be ran at divisional events.

NHRA makes way more money from the tracks than they do the racers, so they are going to be inclined to lean their way. NHRA needs to keep the divisional system in tact to keep that revenue coming from the sportsman categories that pay entry fees. They get way more entry fees than payout in those classes. If you add in the fact that probably close to 50% of the races have a short dragster or fc field, if you can't see the writing on the wall, you're blind.

When thinking of solutions, money has to be kept in mind. Now it's easy for us to say bring us back at all nationals. You just increased the track's payout by $67,000. If you think the track thinks the alcohol cars add $67,001 to their bottom line by having them at a national event with Pro cars, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now because they would be promoting the hell out of the cars at divisionals.

IF we had to go to all-nationals, maybe we should hope/push for one of the alcohol classes to be at each of the 6 nationals we don't race at right now.

Another question is IF a track wanted to have a front gate event featuring alcohol cars, is it best served at a divisional with the other sportsman categories?

Vic - to quote Ricky Bobby "You just need to cross that anger bridge and come back over to the friendship shores...." :D You're going through denial. You're a crackhead like the rest of us. NHRA is the crack dealer. In the crack business model the dealer is always right, not the customer. Please, there is some good discussion going on here, let's not turn this into bash NHRA thread....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. aafa760

aafa760 Member

Another view

Will,
    Been many years sense I have competed or attended a DIV 7 race mainly due to other racing dates.
    How about if they split the TAD and TAFC 6 unattended Nat races get split 3 and 3 for attendance.

I still cannot fathom how anyone chasing a national championship in any Sportsman series can attend and fund a run at one.

4. Ed Arcuri

Ed Arcuri Member

Bingo!

I think you've nailed it. I differ only slightly - I think racers should help promote, too.
    In my view, the business model is broken. The racers pay for everything. It won't last.
    Unless and until we add the non-participant fan back to the mix, the dollars available will continue to shrink. Sponsors will return when the crowds do. Racers prefer crowded stands, as well. The key to it all is promotion.
    Be wise. Advertise.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    www.rockymountainsuperchargers.com

5. T.T.

T.T. New Member

lets take a vote

I"am with Clint T. Nationals only

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. Night Moves

Night Moves New Member

My 2 cents...........

Here is a couple of thoughts and/or observations:

1. Divisionals are "back gate" events because the NHRA and/or the track wants it that way. A little promotion in most areas of the country will bring spectators. Case in point is Norwalk. Bowling Green gets decent crowds too.

2. Part of the problem of low car counts is that the barriers to entry are to high. Most in the sportsman ranks believe they cannot afford to step up to TAFC or TAD. If you eliminate divisionals you are uping the ante to the little guy again.

3. The class needs nurturing by the NHRA and the participants, to encourage more people to jump in. Rules packages need to help keep cost in check. Then car counts will increase.

4. Heard a rumor that the NHRA would like to eliminate Comp, Super Stock, and Stock because it is to costly to enforce the rules.....vs Super Comp or Super Gas.

The NHRA was a grassroots organization of racers that grew to be an entertainment business. It may be time for another grassroots organization to emerge.

7. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

8. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Rodger Brogdon and Steve Kent are the Shiznit. They did this a couple years ago @ Noble too if I remember right, only it was before they owned Attitude and I think it was more a winner take all bonus. Good on 'em.

9. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Do any TAFC racers like running Div. races? I realize if they are close to home it may not be a Problem for some! But traveling 500-600 Mi. For one seems like a Waste of time!

10. TAD529

TAD529 Member

Pro-Active

I've been reading all of this,I feel Cody,Will and others have some very good ideas. My question is how or who should these ideas be taken to. I also feel the 1st thing is the Sportsmans Racers Advisory board has some very good people on it HOW CAN WE GET THEIR INPUT TO COUNT on matters such as this and other issues. Somebody or some commitee has to be able to communicate the racers views and opinions to not only someone willing to listen but someone who can HELP bring about change or is at least willing to try and help resolve the issues. All of this is for NO GOOD if it just STOPS HERE. How can we as racers get someone to hear our views and not fall on deaf ears?

11. raceman526

raceman526 Member

It's a lot to take in Cody; all the different opinions and ideas, but doesn't sound like a bad plan to me. I like it.

12. jb333

jb333 New Member

As somewhat of an outsider to the alcohol classes, I'm a huge fan and know participants. I just don't feel that dropping divisional races is a good move for the class now and in the future. By dropping the div. schedule in favor of an all national events you have made the claim that you do not feel the cars can hold their own in entertaining an audience, something I do no agree with.

Embrace the div. races, as you are the star of the show. With more and more races turning towards free tickets (think Norwalk div. 3 race last year) the spectator count is bound to rise.

Also, with only competing at nationals you would have to make some sort of deal with the NHRA and it's broadcast to include the classes as well. Whats the point if you're going to be on a week late at a time wen no one is watching?