This is not good for TA teams

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Oct 3, 2006.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

what a joke!

3. alky racer

alky racer New Member

I wonder if this applys to people with a shot at a title. I have not pre registered yet are they going to try to keep me out when I am running for the divisional and possibly the national title. Is there a rule in the rule book that says that when in contention for a title there is an exception. This is also my home division can this be done?

4. Cricket

Cricket New Member

If you are running for a divisional or national title, it looks as though they will let you run, but to be sure I would be calling and registering sooner rather than later.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

not good

I'm going to give this a thumbs down.

That's very vague 'not in title contention or regular qualifier'...

Yeah I know its a lot of cars going for 8 car field. When talking to teams about the possibility of going to Vegas it's usually the 'if we're crazy enough' to go type of response.

I think alot of teams want to go because it's a fun trip on a good track.

Don't like changing the entry policy after the fact. Next year if they want to make it a 'grade point' type deal.....

6. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Time For A New Association

Top Alcohol Class.....
    Pro Sportsman...or Just...sportsman
    This Is By Far The Worst Choice By The Nhra..
    At Least There Will Be No Muddy Grass Parking..lmfao

28 Funny Cars..
    22 Top Alcohol Dragsters
    I Wonder How Many Of The Other Classes
    Will Get Their Field Cut......none !!!!!!!!

170 Super Comp Dragsters
    110 Super Gas Competiters
    100 + Super Stock
    100 + Stock
    100+ Super Street
    100 Comp Eliminator
    How Ever Many Motorcycles
    Top Comp
    Oh,.... And Super Pro...and ..pro Oh And Snowmobiles...

7. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

So why not run 16 car fields in the top alcohol classes? Why cut off the fields? They have lots more cars that take up tons more time when the pros are there. We are still the bastard children. I don't like it one bit. Dave Germain

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Div. 4

Couple of years ago we had as I remember 23 TAD's at the division race in Houston. They weren't turning any cars away or even talking about doing so.
    How come all of a sudden it's such a great problem?

9. ITS IN MY BLOOD

you know,...
    if their worried about time consuming oil downs
    they (NHRA) should mandate engine diapers on all the
    classes that run in the NHRA,..not just top alcohol. i saw plenty oil downs
    at indy by LOTS of super class cars, took for ever to clean,
    tranny fluid spillage also.
    And Dave, you are absolutly correct.
    their should be 16 car fields at a divisional race, especially with
    the car counts going up from the ihra funny cars coming over.

10. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Also, the pit parking thing, luckily Vegas has miles of asphalt. In 2004 we pulled through the gate on Thursday, all that our trailer said on it at the time, 751 TAD. The people parking us said under their breath, "Put em' in the staging lanes, they won't be around on Sunday." Damned if we don't lay down a 5.43 to qualify 6th in the quickest field of all time. We didn't feel bad about unloading and blocking half the staging lanes sunday morning while the first round of super stock tried pulling in.

Flash

11. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Cody,

With this recent change in entry are you guys still going to go to Vegas and if so, are you still needing help? Shoot me an email or pm me.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I think it's time for 16 car fields again. It would be good for the sport and good for the newbies learning to run their cars.

28 TA/FC's for 8 spots at a Divisional event is a sign of heath in the class and the racers should be rewarded. What other class in drag racing beside snowmobiles and nitro Harley's has 8 spots on race day? What other class in drag racing costs so much and goes so fast with so little reward?

Time for a change back to the 16 car days the way it used to be.

RG

13. SICTOR

SICTOR hola amigos!

I hope this goes down in a better way, I just hope. I feel that Div 7 racers get seniority, well I guess this was eventually going to happen . Each year the car count grew, and with Pomona being the next race after Vegas a hand full of racers want to use Vegas as a test session for Pomona. NHRA, will find the fair thing to do. Well if anything who ever gets in to race do good, and dont buy the deep fried Snickers or the Burritos.

14. Worms

Worms Member

Is there anywhere you can find entry lists for this race? ( TA/D, TA/FC ) I am coming from over the pond to attend this event.

15. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

We've had 31 TA/D's & twenty some TA/FC's at the Joliet LODRS before and the track welcomed each car, regardless of what division they come from. Considering some of the great shows the Vegas track has gotten from the alcohol classes, I think this is a crappy thing to do.

There I go sharing my opinion,
    Marty

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

have to agree

Good points made.

Would NHRA cut the number of TF/FC entries at a national to make room for more sportsman cars?

Hell no. The writing is on the wall. They want room for more paying lower sportsman class entries.

Many teams probably have travel booked. How many racer's wives are going to this race?

What does 'points contention' mean? Who gets to determine what's legitimate?

We damn sure don't race these divisionals for the money. Many do it for the prestige of chasing a division championship and points. so if you're not in contention for a championship, stay at home. Well to many racers, the difference between having "44" or "45" on their car next year may involve no money, but a ton of pride.

Out of those 50 plus entries...surely nobody is entertaining a potential or existing sponsor in Vegas? Hey, Mr. Vice President...we're going to have to hold off on that Vegas race we was going to bring you and your wife to. Yeah, I know..it sucks....they said we wasn't in contention enough. So how's that deal for next year looking?

It's sad but the writing is on the wall for this broke divisional system. These races aren't about bringing a crowd in, they're about car count and entry fees. Apparently, with the high car count, they're planning on making a killing, and looking to cut back on the 'high maintenance' alcohol cars.

This should make the case for the Regional system....

17. JBJ

JBJ Member

Regional system

I have heard talk about this, something along the lines of three- West, Central, and East.

18. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I still can't believe NHRA doesn't just add the Alky classes to the Natl. event the week before. And move the Div. race to some other time of the year!:confused:

19. Will Hanna

Staff Member

16 car fields

the 16 car fields would be good except for the points implications...

there were alot of unhappy people a few years ago when div. 7 went to 16 car fields. the 53 point semifinal opened the door for a potential advantage. i don't think it effected the championship, but it did effect some positions in the top ten, as i think brandon bernstein had a few of those 53 point finishes. everywhere else you earn 43 points for a semifinal finish. granted it's only 2 rounds compared to 3, but it throws the system off.

playing the devils advocate....i'm sure some would argue the case that if div 7, esp. tafc., can consistently maintain a 16 car field, then the extra points for the semifinals are deserved vs. divisions where there aren't full 8 car fields.

i know there were some unhappy campers with the 16 car field on the payout in round one. It was pretty low for round 1 as i recall.

the main problem we have here is this is an 'all of a sudden' problem. this race has had big fields the past few years, and now a month out they want to cut the field?

looking at both sides of this, i think the correct way to handle this would just be to 'cap' the fields...no more entries, except for championship contenders, much like a national.

calling and asking people to stay home.....wrong answer. at this point, if you're entered, you should be allowed through the gate no questions asked. if you're chasing points and not entered, i think you should be allowed to enter as well.

if you're not chasing points and not pre-entered....i don't see it really being a problem saying 'we're full'. i don't like it, but it's better than what they're trying to do. poor way to handle the problem.

gloating about how it was 'the problem every track manager dreams of' was poor taste imo.

20. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Vegas crap

From what I understand this was not an NHRA deal. It was the track operator Chris somebody. He did it on his own and NHRA ain't too pleased about it either