The No Shake Zone: Last blown car out, turn out the lights

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

The "C" (220" diplacement) blower had 9 or 10 hundredths over the old "D" (206" displacement) blowers. Since then, a few of the legal "C" features were incorporated into the new "D"s (larger shafts, tighter clearances, etc.) The only difference left is a 6.5% dispacement increase. With the inneficiencies, and limitations of the intake runner, this would probably translate to a .05 to .06 second improvement, for those that figure out the new tune-up. It would be a start, and I'm for anything that will preserve the class, in whole.

Take care, all,
    Marty

2. Brute359

Brute359 New Member

In response to the question regarding m.o.v. for a 5.25 vs a 5.35 with identical reaction times... approximately 25 feet.

3. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Marty, maybe NHRA should allow the blown cars to run at 500 CI and the higher Overdrive?

4. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Danny,
    Cubic inches are a trade off (cubic inches = power, but lost boost). We don't run the allowed cubic inches now, believing the boost is more important to the BA/D.
    More overdrive would help in the lower part and middle of each gear, and lower optimum shift points, but SFI has placed that limit (not NHRA). The "C" Blower would do somwwhat the same thing. The blower discharge would exeed the intake runners capacity at a lower RPM, resulting in lower optimum shift points. This would increase parts life (mainly valve springs, rods, piston, & cranks), and with a decent tune-up should further decrease breakage (read: oil downs).

It would be fun to finally have our handcuffs loosened alittle.

Have a great day,
    Marty

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I meant a few hundreths not tenths, sorry.

6. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

How about have the A-fuel cars stage in the burnout box?

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The latest ND has a photo of Maddern's car against Lucas' toward the finish line at Sonoma. Maddern runs a 5.37 to Lucas 5.27. Reaction times were pretty close. It looks like Demke can read the brand of parachutes Lucas has on his car without any problems. 25 feet MOV appears to be incorrect. Looks like at least 35 feet to me.

RG

8. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

How about have the A-fuel cars stage in the burnout box? </font>[/QUOTE]lmao

How's Oregon?

9. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Summer has been nice. Salmon fishing is good and the beer is always good.

Might come to the grove.

10. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Randy,
    When I read your earlier post I was thinking about that exact same photo where Morgan Lucas 'took care' of me (Pg 64, 8/20, ND) at Sonoma. The NHRA rules committee needs to Give Us The Gizmo!!!

-chris

-chris

[ August 23, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Chris Demke ]

11. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Chris,

The good thing about getting beat that bad, is that the BAD racer can look over when they get to the stripe, and not even see the other guy!

You can at least pretend you won!

I agree on the Gizmo, and how about 2.25 OD, just for good measure.

Congrat's on the win in Billings!

Scott

12. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Come on Scott, he wasn't THAT far ahead of me!!!! hahahaha!!!! Thanks for the congrats on Billings. I admit that I got pretty lucky, but a win is a win. I 'think' that I have numerically eliminated any chance Morgan Lucas had of passing me in the Div 7 points. Can anyone verify that? Now I just gotta watch out for the Stockton Stalker, Don Hudson!!!

-chris
    The Tujunga Terror

13. David Smith

David Smith Member

Congratulations Chris! Hope to meet up with ya at one of the remaining national events this season.

14. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

and according to certain 'experts' on the web, the switching to a/fd isn't about the performance, its more about the cost.

tell that to phil, who just cut a check for $75,000 about how much cheaper the switch to a/fuel is.

maybe he's been watching too many 'taste great, less filling' commercials. maybe i should get some bikini babes to wrestle in the mud 'goes fast, cost less...' LOL yeah right.

16. bm79

bm79 New Member

Jason's BAD car was bought from Gunderson for $75k a couple years back and now its for sale at the same price... $75k! Shouldn't that cover the check he just mailed out??

17. Barry H

Barry H Member

Just curious, if NHRA allowed the Gizmo, how would it be policed as to make sure it was not being used on a Funny Car?. It sounds like the Gizmo would be the way to go, but as usual, changes can cause other unforseen problems.

18. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

People always like to make it sound worse than it is. This isn't super street class. if you want to win a championship you pick what gives you the best chance to win within the rules and go with it.

19. Will Hanna

Staff Member

ch3no2, are you related to john kerry?? LOL. one post you state that parity is really close, then you post that if you want to win a championship 'pick the combo' best suited for the rules.

which is it?

20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bm79, looks like you passed intro to business math.

in economics were you there for the day they covered supply & demand and the effects on price levels?

plus a Uyehara is like a chevy, they hold their value...