The new fear...a Canadian...named Shawn Cowie

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by cowiefan, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

You gotta love Canadians, they introduced us to the great game of hockey :cool:

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Canadians

They did introduce us to Hockey, now if I could just get tickets to Canucks games?
    And they are leading the world in being just north of the US. Dave Germain

3. cowiefan

cowiefan New Member

Easier to get tickets to Canucks games everywhere but Vancouver...going this Saturday in Calgary...should be a good showdown, nasty even...

Dave, are you going to get back to this on a more full time basis? Or, have you already? Been a long time since I have seen the Germinator...

Jim

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

coverage

Few things....

First off, I wish I had more time to do write ups on everyone, but about 7 years ago we changed gears from a news/e-zine like Speedzone and others to a forum.

My websites are my full time business in addition to tuning cars. I slang a little hose on the side, but what's that among friends :)

I changed to a forum format to make the website/business economically viable. This deal has grown a bunch from when I started it just content to make some beer money off it in college. I started the site back when I was doing PR for alot of teams and I got aggrevated nobody was giving the alcohol cars much coverage.

Being a racer at heart, I just can't get away from the hands-on side of it. I was like a fish out of water wearing nice clothes and soaking up AC in the press box.

So I apologize I don't have the time for more 'feature' stories, but as mentioned earlier, we run the news supplied to us by PR reps of teams. You have to know your niche in the business world, and ours is discussion/classifieds and tech. You can try to be a jack of all trades and master of none. (Insert jackass joke here)

Changing gears a bit to the Cowie deal, you must be like that guy who lives under the rock in the Geico commercials. He is VERY noticed in the alcohol ranks and has been for a while.

Regarding what Jim spends, why hate on him because you don't have it? I can garun-damn-tee (thats Texican for you Canucks) if you had his bankroll, you would spend just as much, maybe more. We all dream of having a big budget, so don't hate on the guys who do. At least he's a real racer, they all bracket race when they aren't alcohol racing. They aren't some primadonnas like some with lesser budgets...

I know you're probably just stirring the pot, but that really don't fly in the alcohol ranks. Maybe on some street race site. People are pretty serious about this-like kicked out of recess cuz they don't play- serious.

/Rant

5. cowiefan

cowiefan New Member

Hi Will,

Nice to meet you, good rant...

Actually I do not have a hate on for Jim or any other TA racer, these guys are fierce, they are talented and if Jim has millions I'm betting he has worked his ass off for that money. I do know that Shawn is well respected because Shawn is Shawn and it wouldn't be any other way.

My point was more like this...I'm betting somewhere over the last few years in behind closed doors there has been a few conversations about "where in the hell did these guys come from and damn". But I'm guessing as we were running around playing Top Comp and Shawn was getting time in the seat people were probably already noticing. We were the first to really delve into the mid to lower sixes in Div 6 and then along came everyone else.

I knew the day that Ron and Shawn decided to take a run in the alcohol ranks that Ron would only do it one way and that would be the right way, no screwing around and make it work. If it wasn't that way Ron would not do it.

Just to finish up...you are probably at the track as much as I used to be and that was a shitload. Knowing that I'm betting you also know that the pot gets stirred most weekends for many little things, I only chose to stir it a little here. I still think and will always think that competition is not only vicious, it is a mind game and though it all may play out friendly on the cover, inside the cover there are lots of different views and feelings. We all love each other till the truth comes out.

Great forum by the way...I will enjoy being on here more and more. I promise I'll be more friendly...and cheer on the best team in the country...Mundies Towing, the Cowie's and their excellent crew.

6. Cdn526

Cdn526 Member

We are all North American's...

Just read thru this thread, and I'm glad to see it settling down after such a silly start.
    Over the 6 yrs I've been involved in racing, I've met well over 200 fellow racers, made tons of friends, and other than the odd 'item', they are all great!
    Many have asked me the reason for racing, and my response has been that it's equally shared between the challenge of the race, and all the great people one meets.
    As a Canadian, the welcome I've received at all the U.S. tracks has been incredible! Hat's off to our great nieghbors just South of us.
    As for the Cowie Team, I've gotten to know Ron, Shawn & Bill over the years, and they are a first class operation.
    But I'm not taking anything away from the rest of the TA teams I've gotten to know, who are equally great people.
    As we crazy canucks are venturing into TAD w/ our AFD ourselves this year, I can't say enouigh about the support we have received from fellow TAD teams, both verbally & technically; not to mention the great help from a handfull of parts suppliers we deal with.
    Gotta love racing; gotta love our American nieghbours.

Clif Bakx
    Nitro Bull Racing
    'show us your teats'

7. jakedawgwhite88

jakedawgwhite88 New Member

Thanks for setting it straight

You are absolutely right Jim has worked for every cent he's got and and built those successful businesses from the ground up. As Jim's nephew I can personally tell you that he never had anything handed to him and he did what it took to create a good life for himself and create a racing team to be proud of. As a TAD fan and observer, the sport is tough and no one is in it at the upper levels because its a hobby. the best tad drivers do what it takes to win ... money...tuning knowledge....experimenting etc, because everyone who is competitive wants that edge. Jim does what he feels necessary to compete but Ive also see him be more than charitable to other crews and drivers at the pits and I personally remember Jim's entire crew helping cowie's crew fix the blower and engine that blew up before the div final in topeka against aaron Tatum about 3 years ago.

I don't think you were serious but I know that Jim would never sabotage press via bateman... for that matter jim doesn't even really like doing the television thing at all LOL. He's a very humble guy and I know cowiefan you weren't putting him down but I felt I needed to say that for family sake.

Oh yeah Congrats Cowie on a fantastic run and raising the bar for the rest of the BAD cars I'm not sure about Demke but I know Jim as well as shaun ran their best times ever this season so far as well as jim running that 274. i'm a BAD fan through and through and look forward to the blown cars tearing it up this season .... knock on wood.... if big brother (nhra) doesn't make anymore rules keeping the classes from potentially getting to close .... god forbid a alky dragster outrun a nitro funny ever LOL

8. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

Damn Canadians!

Adam Rhoades

9. bmoore

bmoore Member

What??

It's the beer Adam. See you, and your Dad, in Vegas.

Cheers, Bill

10. Alky_lover_and_drinker

To think you would come off looking well after writing this post is hilarious. Grow up, stop shouting from the sidelines, putting words in everyones mouth, and grow up a little and maybe people will take you seriously.

All this post looked like was some 19 yr old kid who wants to brag about his favorite racer doing well, even though he has absolutely nothing to do with it. You dont get respect for your guy by talking shit, at least not in the adult world

Chance Payne

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Payne

Jay Payne rawks! Best damn driver West of the Pecos....

One of my fav's. Him and Frank always helped my "the fast cars have big drivers" theory when I was driving for Clack.

I have to give your dad credit. Last April he called me in his trailer and told me I was too damn big for early 30's. I needed to lose some weight. I took it to heart and I've lost 62 lbs since October.

I'll be a gentleman and just say thanks next time I see him :)

12. The Zone

The Zone Member

Man how old is Chance now, I remember way back.

Dean

13. Alky_lover_and_drinker

Fast cars have big drivers!!!!!! LOL, I love it

How are ya Will, glad to hear about your weight loss, keep it goin!

I'll be in Vegas next weekend, I dont think Ive ever met you personally. if youre in Vegas come on by

14. Alky_lover_and_drinker

How are ya!!!!

Im 33 now, and with a kid!!! hahaha

take care