TEST RUNS on BLown SBC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by JimmPaine, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Ron, I had a 301 in my '57 Chevy back in the early 60'. I went through 3 blocks before I got one that could take the boring and still have good metal left. I guess the casting controls on those 283 blocks was not that good.

2. fueller42

fueller42 New Member

2 bolt mains!!!

ran very similar in a mini-modified pull tractor for a number of years. 26T-32T
    Long story short, blew up engine at second to last event of season, leading points. Had to make a 240 mile drive home, then back for next day for final event, to determine points champ. Engine blown, now what. What any other dedicated motor head would do. Pull the 350 (2 bolt mains) out of the other pick up sitting in the driveway, throw the cam, heads, intake and blower on it and pack up again and make it back to the track in time. Ended up making a full pull, had to come back for the pull off. Lucked out and won the champ by 2 points! Dry block by the way, no filler.

Got back home, pulled the motor out of the tractor, put it back in the truck and put another 100 000 on it before retiring the truck. Motor had that little needle on the tell-tale bouncing off 8700. Ya know, seems I have always been partial to those little mouse motors! :>)

3. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Mike, I know what you mean. I had a 56 Chevy 2 door post with a 292" motor. Ran D Gas when I could afford it. Today I can't see a 56 2 door post without thinking about that car and what I would give to own it again....or build another. Problem is, wife says shop (35x60) is full and something has to go to make room. Welllll! That's a problem. Not really, wife is very supportive.

That's funny about the pickup motor. Reminds me back in the 90's when we ran Super Eliminator. Santos (Rick's cousin) used to get 350 short blocks out the wrecking yard and put his heads, cam and injectors on it with about 20% nitro. He'd blow it up after a few races and then go back to the wrecking yard and get another.

Blessings......Ron Clevenger.

PS...Jim Paine didn't I see you on another board selling a very high end duel turbo setup with all the EFI stuff??

4. JimmPaine

JimmPaine Member

got rid of the Twin turbo setup and went blown, I would have to weigh 3,200 lbs with Twin turbo's or go Supercharger and weigh 2,800 lbs I think you can make the same HP with a 1471 blower, so I got rid of the Twin 76mm turbos and took the weight break and I love the sound of a Blown motor, what beautiful music =)

5. Brad671

Brad671 Member

Jim,

What MPH were you running over the full 1/4mile when testing with the blower?

Regards,
    Brad

6. michael hall

michael hall New Member

21???

damn, I'd kill just to make 4 or 5 runs with a blown car for a day. 21 runs, that thing had to be smokin'. I drove a blown SBC Comp car, and we were happy with 4 or 5 in a test session. The thing went 6.70's, 6.80's and didn't hurt a thing. It was a 358 with a Mert 14-71. Damn, that thing was fun to wind up and let fly!

7. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

Blown SBC

It takes me about 40 minutes to get mine cooled down for another run and I run water through the heads. Made seven runs at the world finals and was tickled pink when I got home system one looked great, leakdown was great, and valves were perfect....now if we can figure out how to do that for a hundred runs we have acomplished something LOL.