Technical ? for drivers & Chiefs of clutch cars

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by was R4K, Jul 31, 2003.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

This site is starting to get interesting- So, my question is- Do you feel it is better to disengage the clutch at the same time as chute and braking begin at the completion of a run - OR - is it better to leave the clutch engaged untill car is about to stop on the return road after fuel shut off and prior to mag shut off.
    This is on a supposed clean run with no problems.
    Please give reasons for your choice. thks guys.
    Hope I worded my question correctly.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i've worked for a few new drivers, and i can tell when they dont put the clutch in after a run - you have to put a new set of bottom rod bearings in.

definitely need to have the clutch in. takes load off of the motor and by that time in the run, potential oiling problems could be right around the corner. in memphis earlier this year the track crew was bitching at callaway for stopping on the track. he went ahead and drove it off hte track next run - spun no. 3 rod bearing. now there was an oiling problem contributing to this, but driving it made a borderline deal go over the line.

on our deal with jason, he hits the kill switch when he hits the chutes. if you have a pushrod/valvetrain problem, the motor doesnt need to get the rpms from shutting off with fuel shut off.

thats just my opinion.

3. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Great question R4K; I've often wondered the same thing. Being a fairly new driver to the class (currently in my 2nd season driving) no one have ever really told me...I guess I just kind of assumed to push it in right at the end...and lately I've been a little leery and I cringe when I do it because of the Spokane incident where we ran our first sub-6 second run about a month ago, pushed the clutch in, and a rod shattered...what a depressing weekend that turned out to be...

4. bernie

bernie New Member

Chutes, clutch, fuel off, when it starts to lean kill it. This way you don't need to fix it as much or as often. Works OK for us.

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

About a hundred years ago I drove my car around the corner after making a pass. BA was standing there getting out of his jacket and helmet (as he had just run right in front of me) and watched me do it. He walked over and told me to NEVER drive it off the track and ALWAYS shut it off as soon as possible in case it broke a lifter or any other part for that matter. That was when I was a dumb rookie.

[ August 03, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

6. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I remember being at the turn off at Pomona when Lou G. kicked a rod while making the turn. Made me decide to shut my car off as soon as I could because you just don't know what could happen.
    At Sonoma this weekend Garrett Bateman was driving Gregg Lawrence's a/fuel car and it was running good. After winning the 1st round with a 5.41 we found a blackened #2 rod bearing...it was just a couple revolutions away from throwing the rod out. We had exactly one motor, and that's the one I'm talking about. Fortunately we had another crank with us and had the time that night to get it in the motor. The crew did a great job and we were able to advance to the final against the baddest a/fuel car on the planet. We gave it a good try, his 5.30 covered our 5.39. But we would not even have been there had not Garrett shut the motor as soon as he did...you just never know.

7. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Russ, I didn't realize you could throw a rod idling a motor? I'll bet he never did that again?

8. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I believe that the damage was done on the run and the extra run time just finished it off. But never underestimate the ability of us racers to blow stuff up - at high rpm, low rpm, idle or just cranking it over with the starter. Maybe we ought to start a new thread about the dumb ways we've blown our stuff up...but we wouldn't want to let Randy G. dominate the topic...JUST KIDDING!
    By the way, what does this "LOL" I see at the end people's posts mean - maybe "Let Oil Loose"?

9. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

I remember at Denver one year, Shelly Anderson's team started they're TF without any oil! After about 10 seconds you could hear the bearings Screaming!!!!

10. was R4K

was R4K Member

I like the let oil loose translation, BUT it seems to mean "LAUGHING OUT LOUD".
    Let me take this opportunity to thank everyone on this thread for great feedback- Sadly we blackened 2 mains this wekend but I sure shut off quick when it nosed over! I think this thread was on my mind.

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

what caused it to blacken the mains?

12. was R4K

was R4K Member

I think that our oil pressure was too low (100 psi on the computer) rod brgs looked like they came out of the box. I think the dry sump pump can be adjusted to higher pres. Side oilers will be added ASAP to the block. After 20 years away from the Alki wars, we have a very steep learning curve to try to catch up. Thankfully, a lot of alky racers have given us a ton of help along the way and somelessons (like this one) we just have to learn the hard way! :rolleyes:

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

while we run our dry sump at 120 on jason's car, i've seen alot of runs with that much oil pressure not have problems.

is it a tfx block? if so, you are going in the right direction with the side oilers. tfx's are notorious for oiling problems.

which mains? also, what is the batch number and brand of the bearings? if it was an 8/00 clevite, i guarantee you that is the problem.

14. was R4K

was R4K Member

don't use clevite's. KB block- will try side oilers. mains 4 and 5. lots of clutch on the run, we were trying to pull the motor down for a less agressive launch- went from .911 on prev 60 ft to a .954 on this pass. fat tune up. maybe too much clutch heat?

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

hard to say..

IMO, not using clevites could have been part of the prob. c&a are clevites. i've ran federal moguls and wasn't very impressed with their durability and how soft they are. my experience with kings is they are pretty much junk. there was just a problem with that one batch of clevites, they delaminated for some reason. 90% of the top runners are running clevites, and alot of people are switching over to the V bearing from the M.

if you lugged the snot out of it, that could be a reason. i've seen leaving in high gear get the rear main.

i hope the side oilers work. i know alot of people that run the kb stuff that dont need them, so dont stop looking there. that could be a bandaid for another problem.

16. was R4K

was R4K Member

didn't really lug it- went a .94/60 ft. left at 5500. but certainly had a load on it although was informed the tires hazed for a short while. [​IMG]