tafc

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by gpking, Jul 27, 2003.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

Nick- care to post the payout for the pro mod show vs. ta/fc at IHRA national events? I think it's easier to make a buck with ta/fc in IHRA. Just my dumb alky opinion of course.

2. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Sure thing R4K!

Pro Mod

Winner: $10,000
    RU: $5,000
    Semi: $2,500
    Quarters: $2,250
    Eights: $2,000

FC

Winner: $5,000
    RU: $3,500
    Semis: $2,000
    Quarters: $1,750
    Eights: $1,500

I have never heard a dumb opinion from you dude. Would you like a comparison of total contingencies also?

Nick

3. gpking

gpking Super Comp

Pat i really do enjoy watching promods,my problem right off the bat would be trying to aqquire a chassis.i have seen decent promod chassis go for as high as 40,000 complete rolling .and i have seen complete rolling funnys for less than half that.and the promod chassis i have seen that i can afford bill kuhlman probably ran it 20 years ago against rob vandegrif(spelling sorry rob)and another thing i would have to think about is that its also a suspended car not that i couldnt learn my way around it.i know its an alky board but promod in nhra is questionable to me just because you have to ask what would happen to pro stock.two pro door slammer catagories?not trying to start anything just reasonable querry's.the big thing with me is are the funnys going to be there?i think they will, theres too many for the class to just dissappear.they will be there but in what capacity.

4. gpking

gpking Super Comp

sorry Pat i meant that response for OutlawNick.

5. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

How about a complete, turnkey, ready to race Outlaw Pro Mod for $62,000. Car is extremly competitive, best of 4.10 @ 178.89 1/8th mile, which will get you in the show almost anywhere. Or a Tommy Mauney built, double frame rail, complete roller with data logger for $25,000. Excellent starter car! Just some of the cars advertised in the classified section.

Nick

[ July 29, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

6. gpking

gpking Super Comp

OutlawNick,do you know if the promods are going to be at joliet in sept?may be a good place, to get info on what it takes to run one.although i have to say im leaning towards funnycars ,just something about the class.

7. Tad117

Tad117 Member

Gp jst a few things you shoould consider. One if you go with a pro mod not only do you need to learn about the motor and clutch and gear ratios you also need to learn about suspensions. Two I would not recomend buy a tafc roller that is under 20,000 they are normally older worn out and require a lot of extra work and knowledge to get to run. 3 Its is a lot easier to slow down a fast car than it is to speed up a slow car. In my oppion tafc is a great class and can be run on a budget when you are learning and not trying to run fast. I would also recomend spending the extra money up front for screw blower because you take away another learning in not having to tune around the blower. Just my 2 cents I have a little bit of knowledge on this subject and did a lot of the wrong things when i bought my first car and just trying to steer you in the right direction. The guy that bought my last car is doing on a budget and listens to me and has just 10 passes in the car and already has his license and has run a best of 6.25 at 230 and still has revved it up past 8500 yet

8. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

gpking,

Unfortunetly Joliet is not on the AMS Pro Modified schedule. The next two races closest to you would be the IHRA Northern Nationals at US 131 Dragway in Martin, MI (near Grand Rapids) on August 8-10 and the IHRA World Nationals at Norwalk Raceway Park (near Cleveland, OH) on August 21-24.

Tad117 has given you some good advice on chassis selection. However be advised that a screw blower would limit you to NHRA AFC competition only. They are not legal for IHRA AFC. I don't know if the Midwest circuit accepts them or not.

Nick

[ July 29, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

9. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

If you would like some more info on what it takes to run a Pro Modified I invite you to visit the Tech Forum at ProModifieds. You can ask questions there and get answers and advice from some of the best in the business.

[ July 29, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

10. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

gpking:

Keep in mind OutlawNick and Grant are invading this site with their promod propaganda because they have nothing else better to do. If you want to go slow in a tired body style that needs help that can only come from a $10,000 paint job and worry about having your doors blown off literally then by all means go to their web site and pick up a 69 Camero from someone who has a thousand passes on it. With a $60,000 engine you might run a 6.40 or something once in a while. Or you can run a conservative roots set-up in a circuit funny car and run circles around Grant and Nick and all their buddies in a real race car. These guys speak like they have facts in hand when the facts really are that no one has ever heard of them before yet they talk like they have insider information when really they don't even have cars good enough for an IHRA or NHRA National event. The fact is ta/fc is very strong in Sanctioning body or circuit trim. Don't let these guys fill you head with mush. Suspension cars are very tricky and a lot less forgiving and they are more dangerous for a new driver on a marginal track. Besides, in a parking lot it's hard to tell a car like Grant's from a souped up Chevelle in a Wall*Mart parking lot about 10 feet out. If Wil's in charge here he needs to get rid of the ants in the honey, or the fleas on the dog, or the promods from the alcohol pits.

11. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Nick, most of the PM guys I've talked to say a turnkey 6.20 PM car is $150,000? Grant, why come over here and start your shit? If you don't like TAFC or TAD, go somewhere else.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

King:

Here's a new guy trying to discuss TA/FC racing and these so-called Pro Mod guys come here and start some crap. This kind of dialog will keep Hanna's web site from moving to the next level with fellow alky racers if you ask me. At every turn you've got the likes of these guys giving their two cents worth when no one asked, followed by their definition of "opinion". And it isn't even worth two cents.

I don't see alky racers bashing ProMod on their site because alky racers have something these two guys (who don't represent my ProMod pals, anyway) don't have...CLASS!

I'm going to move on. There's no sense in trying to start any discussions here. Another racing message board takes a dump.

R.I.P.

13. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

gpking,

Unlike others who have repled to this thread, I will not try to persuade you with one sided opinions. I just wanted you to be aware of all your options. You are considering laying out a considerable amount of money and should have facts available to help you make a wise decision. If, after careful consideration, you decide the a Funny Car is both within your means and affords ample opportunity to fulfill you racing desires then by all means go for it!

It has been said that Grant and I have nothing better to do. I will let Grant speak for himself. He is more than capable of doing that. As it applies to me, if that means trying to help a fellow racer to explore all his options and come to a rational decision then that is correct. I can think of no better use of my limited time. In addition to holding a full time job I have been thrust into the role of maintaning one of the fastest growing websites on the net. The cicumstances behind this are truly tragic and I will not go into them here. Let me assure you that I am indeed knowledgeable about the subject of Pro Modifieds and the Alcohol classes. I regularly have discussions with racers in both classes and count many of them among my friends.

I've been accused of spreading propaganda. The only propaganda I am interested in spreading is that of Drag Racing. Drag Racing would be pretty boring if there were only one type of car.

Kingnitro has brought up the subject of a 6.20 Pro Mod. I would not advise you to build such a car to begin with nor would I advise you to jump into a 5.50 Funny Car. Go slowly at first, learn about your machine and when you are ready to step up you will be well prepared.

Nick

[ July 30, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

14. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

i have to agree Randy..he asks about going fc racing and it becomes a pissing contest. GPKING if you have any questions about tafc racing you can e mail me. Will has the address.
    adios

15. gpking

gpking Super Comp

as i said in my first post,this going to most likely happen next year sometime,pending finances,ALKYFC thanks for the offer i will let you know when im ready to start spending ,also apologize for misspelling your first name.didnt know you posted here.FUNNYCARBOB would you mind if i emailed you about how you put together your car?i would like to talk a little more.

16. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Gp King, the car counts in TAFC have come up since last year. Not nearly as many short fields as there used to be.

17. was R4K

was R4K Member

outlaw nick- sorry for the delay in replying to your post on IHRA payouts- I have seen ta/fc's qualify in IHRA with 7 sec passes= 1500$ compare that to first round lose in promod of 2000$ difference is a qualifying entry level ta/fc can be had for 25,000.00 vs about 60,000.00 plus for the pro mod- Do the math- the young guy here looking to get started just wants to qualify- not win everything in site his first year- Anyone with a brain would pick the 25M car and short fields vs trying to qualify against 40plus cars in pro mod.

18. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

Are there any other websites where people can talk about ta/fc and tad racin without the promoders comming in and trying to pursuede you to run a old prostock car with an outdated alky motor? Nick, just because you have some friends who own one doesn't mean you know anything about them. How many GPM's is a 6.20 promod at 9,500 with 2,000 corr. altitude? What is the overlap, lobe center and spread of the camshaft? what kind of manifold temps are you seeing? Any diff between the boost of a Mert vs cobelco at 9,000 rpm? What's the backside fuel pressure of a typical alky system on any of your buddies cars. yea, I know Heather locklear but that doesn't make me a tv star.

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

here we go again. if gp was interested in building a pro mod, i'm sure he would be asking these questions on another website, not INSIDETOPALCOHOL.COM.

GP, i think you have gotten some valuable feedback out of this. if you have anymore questions email me at will.hanna@insidetopalcohol.com

thread closed.